StL 2019 Game 140 thread: Thu 9/5 vs. Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 140 thread: Thu 9/5 vs. Giants

This topic contains 67 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Boy oh boy oh boy,

Wouldn’t a sweep by the Brewers be nice? Aw heck, i’d settle if Milwaukee can win three of the four.

r/Esteemed Rat

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yes, it would. There is a chance that can happen with the games being in Milwaukee.

GACard
    Participant

Free

After watching them play today, I think last night really might have been an instance where you have a mental letdown toward the end 8 games in a 123 hour span.

It’s nice to get last night’s taste out of the mouth quickly

Now let’s go Brewers and let’s go sweep the Pirates (don’t like seeing Mikolas and Waino on the road…)

Carter
    Carter
    Participant

Free

Wolf: “I wonder when the Cards’ last 3-inning save occurred — a rarity I think”

Huh? imoge
    How can you get a save with an 8 run lead? I thought the tying run had to be on deck.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Yep Carter, seems strange. It’s so rare most people won’t even think it’s correct.

One of the conditions for a save is holding the lead while pitching 3 or more innings to finish the game. In that case, the size of the inherited lead is irrelevant. That ain’t happening much these days.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabrera looked smooth and under control today. Earlier this year he was flying all over the place. I guess they finally got him straightened out at Memphis.

Hudson quietly getting to 15 wins. He has always been a bit underrated in my opinion.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It is a bit odd, but through this point in the season the Cardinals and Cubs are almost interchangeable. Both clubs have about the same record, and the same RS-RA differential.

So at least based on the data to date, you could flip a coin to determine who will end up winning the division. Despite the Redbirds good play of late, we just can’t shake those pesky Cubs. We have gone 20-10 in our last 30, while they have gone 18-12.

The 7 remaining head-to-head match-ups could determine the final outcome as Rat surmised earlier in the week. It is quite likely the two teams will go 3-4 and 4-3 in those games, and that one extra win could be huge. If one team wins 5, they are likely your 2019 Central Division champions.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Cardinals will win the division.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

great win today. had to watch in after the fact. Hudson was excellent. lot of great at bats. lets keep it up.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals will win the division.

Looking better with each passing day. I would feel much better about things if today was September 25th instead of September 5th. Heck, Milwaukee could still win it. This has been an amazing run, mainly because of how lifeless this team looked for half the season. Reasons abound for the turnaround. Wong and Dexter playing very nice baseball. The pen doing it’s job with hardly a hiccup, after losing Hicks for the year. How many of you have even thought 2 seconds about Hicks over these past 45 days? Yep, me too…..that’s how solid the pen has been. And it’s nearly impossible to think of a larger reason for the Cardinals resurgence than Flaherty and Hudson suddenly pitching like Palmer and McNally. But, I think the most valuable player of this team right now is Tommy Edman. He is a true difference maker.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs are hammering the Brewers tonight. That Brewer pitching staff is a shambles.

Maybe the Cub bullpen will be a bigger shambles.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Tommy Edman makes this team go.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Schwarber a grand slam. 9-4 Cubs in the 6th. Looks like this one is over but ya never know.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As one of the P-D writers said a few days ago this team is greater than the sum of its parts. We don’t have any superstars really but we have a lot of guys producing at a better than average level.

Carter
    Carter
    Participant

Free

“Yep Carter, seems strange. It’s so rare most people won’t even think it’s correct.

One of the conditions for a save is holding the lead while pitching 3 or more innings to finish the game. In that case, the size of the inherited lead is irrelevant. That ain’t happening much these days”

Thanks…I guess I like that rule…fair.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Edman has helped ease the downfall in production from Carpenter, and seems to be better in the field than Matt.

But what I see as the keys to this club is one, solid defense up the middle, which has benefitted from Bader coming back and playing well, although Dex did fine in center when we needed him. And “B” (in the way my wife likes to say), the development of a solid pitching staff. This is largely due to quick maturity from Hudson and Flaherty, and good bullpen work early on from Gant and Brebbia, and then Gallegos, Miller and Martinez later.

For the first half I though DeJong was our MVP, with Ozuna right there. Second half has been Wong and Flaherty.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seeing Edman in the lineup playing third makes me happy. He has been very consistent.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If healthy, our bullpen should remain very good for the future. Assuming Hicks comes back strong and CMart returns to the rotation with Fernandez and Whitley carving out roles the only issues I see are adding another lefty for depth, and to replace Miler in 2021. Also who the closer is until Hicks return midseason?

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years