StL 2019 Game 126 thread: Wed 8/21 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 126 thread: Wed 8/21 vs. Brewers

This topic contains 65 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (9-8, 4.33) vs. RHP Adrian Houser (5-5, 3.76) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Today’s best lineup guess:
    Fowler RF
    Carpenter 3B
    Goldschmidt – 1B
    Ozuna LF
    DeJong SS
    Molina C
    Wong 2B
    Bader CF
    Wainwright P

My only concern is Carp at #2. Could be he will swap with Wong or Bader. Or Munoz might get a start and the #2 slot. In any case Edman will sit this one.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Pugs, your interest in the lady above the L will be rewarded in Milwaukee if you look for the first row babe with the plunging neckline behind the LH batter position. She also keeps score so you will see her writing a lot. Maybe a players wife as her companions seem to change every game. Course I don’t look….much.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MM3, I think other than Edman starting at 3B, I agree with your lineup. I get the sense that Carpenter’s time as a starter is coming to an end for the year.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m going to get in on this lineup guessing game:

Fowler
    Edman
    Goldy
    Ozuna
    DeJong
    Wong
    Molina
    Bader

What I would like to see though:
    Fowler
    Wong
    Goldy
    Ozuna
    Dejong
    Molina
    Edman
    Bader

If they sit Bader and put Carp and Edman in the lineup, I’m guessing I’m not the only one who will be disappointed. Carp looked awful trying to swing at the ball last night.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, your interest in the lady above the L will be rewarded in Milwaukee if you look for the first row babe with the plunging neckline behind the LH batter position. She also keeps score so you will see her writing a lot. Maybe a players wife as her companions seem to change every game. Course I don’t look….much.

I see that gal a lot from games in Milwaukee MM3. I always wonder if “Amy” is going to be there tonight and when I see her its like “THERE THEY ARE, I mean, There she is!”

A sweep sure would be nice. Colorado is having a hard time with Arizona. They might come to Busch on a bad note. Cubs probably wont lose but one game this week so we have to keep winning.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    2. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, I think we are just going to have to suck it up and live with Carpenter in the lineup for the rest of the season. I like him and find it sad to watch his decline. I’m certain he’s not proud of his performance this year either. The club is just showing him a little loyalty allowing him to struggle on.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

CIF wrote:
    <Well, I think we are just going to have to suck it up and live with Carpenter in the lineup for the rest of the season.>

I know you like him but there has to be a point where ‘like’ = ‘lose’ and I think rather than not helping himself, he at the point where he is hurting the team. His swings have not shown improvement and Jimmy Ballgame even noted how he is dropping his back shoulder resulting in either strikes or balls off the legs. No doubt he is super frustrated. His extension will give him a chance to show improvement next season but, for now, let’s play the hot hands and in Carps case, they don’t have to be too hot.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

My comment re Carp was not about what I want to happen, rather what I’m pretty sure is going to happen.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nice game to watch last night. But that was last night. According to the numbers Waino should win tbis toniht. They almost matched us hit wise last night so I see no need to get lax tonight. By not swinging at ridiculous balls we drew some key walks and let thier bull pen self destruct. Ours is better and we should win if we get into a lead by mid game. Right now thats our stregnth. But we still have to hit and score. Our challenge remains but we saw a glimpse of what to do last night. Go Cardinals!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m hopeful that Marp’s 2019 will be like Fowler’s 2018 and he’ll bounce back to something more usual next year. I don’t hold a lot of hope for this year though. Sometimes guys just find it and it’s not impossible for Carp but he’s not looking close to my eye.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well at least Shildt has the sense to drop Carp to seventh in the order, although I would rather see Edman at 3B. Wong batting second is interesting. Shildt was quoted recently as saying that Wong would stay near the bottom of the order because he was comfortable there. I guess he has the right to change his mind.

I would like to say that I was completely wrong about Wainwright this year. Last winter I was adamant that bringing him back for 2019 was a big mistake, even on the low risk incentive laden contract. I was wrong. He has way exceeded my expectations. Now, is he vintage Waino from back in his prime? No, of course not but he has to be one of the best back end of the rotation guys in the league this year. I have been impressed by his intensity and durability. I think he was embarrassed by his performance the last few seasons and was determined to rebound. I know his home-road splits are a bit extreme but this team wouldn’t be where they are without him and I actually wouldn’t mind seeing him come back next year.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I nearly fainted and had to do a double take when I didn’t see Edman in the lineup. No worries, though, he’ll be in the outfield tomorrow.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Double switch into right tonight is my bet. That is what Munoz did last night.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Double switch into right tonight is my bet. That is what Munoz did last night.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any news on injury/rehab status for JMart and O’Neill? I thought I heard JMart might be out for the season. Is that a possibility? There isn’t going to be a lot of minor league season left to rehab. BUt I the good news that any rehab will likely take until when rosters can be expanded.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Saw something today O’niels starting his rehab at Memphis very soon. Forgot on Jmart but don’t think hes started his rehab yet.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

ONeil supposed to start rehab next week and JMart says he feels fine. Not sure if he needs a rehab but will probably go to Memphis too just to get his swing going again (it was lagging lately). Both will be in the dugout after Sept 1 for sure.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am going to go and jog, run a few sprints, then hit the shower, and light up a cigar about the time of first pitch. Then later in the game I will have a big stadium hot dog, a chocolate shake, a piece of cherry pie from the Amish restaurant. Then later tonight I’ll have another 7×50 cigar to finish off the evening while I watch the Toronto at the Dodgers game.

Lets sweep the Brewers. Going to need all the wins we can get to keep pace with the Cubs.

r/Esteemed Rat

GACard
    Participant

Free

Well we need some offense tonight

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

gonna have to hit tonight, that’s for sure.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

My lineup “wish” was almost spot on only with Carp in for Edman…. 😁

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

We have scored 12, 13, and 14 runs in three of the last six pitched by Wainwright. But, a first inning DP doesn’t help.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Ouch! Not the way to start a game.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years