StL 2019 Game 125 thread: Tue 8/20 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 125 thread: Tue 8/20 vs. Brewers

This topic contains 108 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (6-6, 5.44) vs. LHP Gio González (2-1, 3.81) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On Monday, before I stopped at the gun store and then went to the shooting range, I ate my lunch at the Mill Haus restaurant. Had a chopped sirloin, green beans, and mashed potatoes. I had to bring my own gravy though. Imagine that.

Would be nice to see Wacha have a good outing here. We need all we can. The Cubs will probably win five out of six this week.

Reds lost last night 3-2 to San Diego. Eugene Sewers made the last out again to end the game with the bases loaded. Another strikeout.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just one quick question, Rat….make that two questions. What kind of a restaurant makes their patrons bring their own gravy? And did you just happen to have some hot delicious steaming gravy in the car with you?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat, I totally agree about the Cubs. They will go 5-1 at Wrigley this week so we better be prepared to match that.

If we have to use Wacha I would prefer a piggy back game. Try to get 3 good innings out of him then let Helsley go for 3 before turning it over to the rest of the pen.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha actually looked decent in the last game against Cincy. His fastball had a little more zip and his off speed stuff was solid. I wouldn’t mess around much with him tonight…if it’s clear he doesn’t have it, then a quick hook is needed. I’d be happy enough with 5 innings and 1-2 runs. It feels like the Cards have hit Gio well in recent years but I don’t have data to back that up. I think they can score some runs off him tonight though.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs,
    Not sure why this place doesn’t have gravy. Actually I think they might offer it if you specifically ask for it, not sure. And the answer to your next question is yes, I had hot gravy in the car with me. Like I said, I took some along. I like to be prepared.

r/Esteemed Rat

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Since Gio is a lefty does that mean Carp will sit and Edman will play 3B. Also, will Bader get a start tonight since he has been hot in the minors? Kolten is batting well against lefties so, hopefully, he stays in the lineup. I don’t think we will see Wieters catching until Colorado comes to town unless the heat wears out Yadi tonight. So my lineup guess is:

Fowler – RF
    Edman – 3B
    Goldy – 1B
    Ozuna – LF
    DeJong – SS
    Wong – 2B
    Molina – C
    Bader – CF
    Wacha – P

It may be that Molina and Wong are switched.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Bader up just in time for Tomorrow’s bobblehead giveaway as predicted.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That is a good guess and a good line-up.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Hey Pugs, Ref your post about Louisiana Cajuns. I am one. Born in New Orleans because that was the closest joint with real doctors but lived in the swamps until the age of 3. Mama always teased me and said they used me for alligator bait but I stunk so bad the gators even turned away. So we moved to town. To this day I have a metal badge on my wall that says “Registered Coon Ass”. I know a lot of folks agree with that last word but I am proud to be a Cajun.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Rat: Well at least they don’t make you snap your own beans.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

CIF wrote:
    <Rat: Well at least they don’t make you snap your own beans.>

I know that was for Rats and his gravy but your mention of snap beans brings back fond memories. As a kid I used to sit on my grandmas porch in hot and humid Mississippi and watch her snap beans. She said she would teach me how and while I snapped 3 she snapped a whole bowl. Dem was gud eatin.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Hey Pugs, Ref your post about Louisiana Cajuns. I am one. Born in New Orleans because that was the closest joint with real doctors but lived in the swamps until the age of 3. Mama always teased me and said they used me for alligator bait but I stunk so bad the gators even turned away. So we moved to town. To this day I have a metal badge on my wall that says “Registered Coon Ass”. I know a lot of folks agree with that last word but I am proud to be a Cajun.

Who dat?!?!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Who dat say who dat. Dat was a Saints invention. One thing you will notice in Cajun country is that everybody respects their elders. If you are talking to an older person you always use Mr. or Miss. as in “Hello Mr Bob.” “How is Miss Florence doing today.” And that concludes todays lesson on Cajun Culture. There will not be a test.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

MM3: My mom dragged me into KP duty at an early age, saying she couldn’t stand men who were useless in the kitchen and I wasn’t going to be one of them. Thus my initiation into bean snapping under our south Texas pecan tree, and in my golden years the chief cook and bean snapper of our two-person family in France.

As for tonight’s tussle with the beer makers, let’s hope Wacha was sufficiently impressed with last night’s performance to hold those guys up two runs or fewer while our bats get after it.

Rah Cardinals!

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Who dat say who dat. Dat was a Saints invention. One thing you will notice in Cajun country is that everybody respects their elders. If you are talking to an older person you always use Mr. or Miss. as in “Hello Mr Bob.” “How is Miss Florence doing today.” And that concludes todays lesson on Cajun Culture. There will not be a test.

I was born in the Mississippi delta, so I hear ya. I have a Mama, had a Daddy, and the last meal of the day is supper.

And I’m a Saints fan.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Wachas looked better in his last 2 appearances. Could be wrong but I thought I remembered him going about 5 innings last time. He seems to start pretty good but seems to tire fast. May be a problem w/ stamina? I like our chances w Gonzales being lefty. Good chance for Ozuna to get going with the other rightys.You know MM3 here in the south anybody over 20 gets called Mr. and Miss. all the way up till you die.Heard my wife called Miss. (She used to teach) so many times I wondered if people knew we were married. Just how they do it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

ATSOTC wrote:
    <I was born in the Mississippi delta, so I hear ya. I have a Mama, had a Daddy, and the last meal of the day is supper.>

Noontime was Lunch. Never heard of dinner unless you was eatin at some fancy joint. Most of the rest of my family (those that didn’t live in Cajun country) were residents of SE Mississippi (Hattiesburg/Laurel area). I spent some great summers in high school working as a lifeguard at a small lake owned by a 2nd cousin. Back in those days the Saints didn’t yet exist. I begged to stay in Mississippi and finish high school so I could play small town football but momma said no and I got my brains beat out playing big city football in New Orleans.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MM3 was pretty close to right…just had Molina and Wong flipped. Looks like a solid lineup.

BTW, Gio has a career 3.21 ERA vs the Cards, but since 2016 that balloons to 5.40.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nice line-up for us.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

No Moose-Taukas in the Milwaukee lineup tonight?

I keep thinking the Brewers are about like the Cubs. For a long time now I have been expecting both of them to hit a hot streak, win about 8 or 9 in a row, and 12 of 13, and distance themselves from the rest of the NL Central. Hasn’t happened yet, but there is still time.

r/Esteemed Rat

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Let’s hope Wacha builds on his last outing and his confidence grows.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If both are playing well Bader and Edman in the line-up at same time will be exciting.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years