StL 2019 Game 123 thread: Sun 8/18 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 123 thread: Sun 8/18 at Reds

This topic contains 92 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wild pitch 0-2. No chance to get the double play now. A single makes this an entirely new game. Hopefully Brebbia is warming up.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And there’s your single. 5-4. Get Carlos out out of there please.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Meltdown?

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Martinez is just crapping all over the mound. He’s all over the place, but the ones right down the middle when he fell behind were the worst.

Maybe he’ll settle in now that he gets his first out. Tying run on 1st with one out.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flyout by Senzel and finally there’s an out. Still, barring a double play you have to face Suarez.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Martinez paints the corner and gets the K for 2 outs. One more to go.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Don’t mind me…I’m just breathing deeply into a paper bag.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CMart looked awful today but we somehow survive!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1-2 now on some good pitches by Cmart. Now the check swing K!! Cards win it 5-4!

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

We can all breath easy now. What a dramatic 9th inning. Big K for Carlos there. HUGE! Cards win 5-4

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Martinez stops the bleeding by fanning the last two. I was dreading / feeling a Suarez walkoff HR. Way too interesting.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t like CMart as closer. He NEVER has a clean inning.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Black Hills Card you cracked me up. Love it! Could gave done without the 9 th inning drama. Really wish they would leave a guy in late innings when hes on a roll. We’re using guys just cause we got em. Pull em when they’re in trouble. Jeez

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

You may ask why my sphincter clenches whenever I see Carlos Martinez enter the game.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Scary ain’t he?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you on Carlos as closer, Gscottar. I’d prefer him in some other role for now.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

You might get the impression that Martinez is paid to make it interesting. Relief pitching by Alfred Hitchcock.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

As I’ve said MANY times before………You just never know what you are going to get with Carlos Martinez. After several years now and you still cant count on him.

How much longer is he under contract?

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Anyone remember Carlos’ number before he memorialized Taveras? Anyone remember the number of the new Cardinals Hall of Famer this year who used to close? I felt the same way watching Martinez today as I used to when Izzy pitched…

(P.S. I forgot Trevor Rosenthal also wore no. 44.)

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Don’t forget to thank the Good Lord for the two kids who produced 5 of the Cards’ 8 hits today.

Now, let’s spend the next few days whipping up on those guys from Milwaukee.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Carlos Martinez and Trevor Rosenthal appear to be from the same mother except that Carlos needs his baby daddy Yadi to slap him around the head a few times to get a decent pitch. Check swings are his best friend today.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cards in France, I hear that’s a good workout.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As I’ve said MANY times before………You just never know what you are going to get with Carlos Martinez. After several years now and you still cant count on him.

How much longer is he under contract?

Generally you know that you’re gonna get a pretty good pitcher, which makes his contract a very nice one for the Cards. I believe you will be seeing him in Cardinal red for 4 more years.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Martinez has been effective most of the time no matter where we put him. Closer isn’t the first shot, and he probably would be a better starter or long reliever. But, he has only had three blown saves, one of which ended up in a loss. He is well worth the money. We are only here because we have decent pitching, and it is fortunate that Gant can do long relief, and Martinez can close. Wasn’t where they began.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It is written about how managers make mistakes with the bullpen due to an insistence on having roles.

The better way to use a bullpen is to use your best guy in critical situations, be that the 7th, 8th or 9th. And if you have a guy working effortless and getting outs, leave him in there.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years