StL 2019 Game 120 thread: Thu 8/15 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 120 thread: Thu 8/15 at Reds

This topic contains 99 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar SoonerinNC 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (6-5, 5.54) vs. RHP Sonny Gray (7-6, 3.10) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The first two games of this series certainly don’t look like good matchups for the Cards. Needless to say, I’d like to sneak one of the first two as a win before Mikolas and Flaherty. Maybe Wacha can bring his A game or the offense will lurch to life at the Great American Bandbox.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the kind of game we are going to have to win 10-9 because we can’t expect Wacha to last more than 3 or 4 innings. Maybe he can hold the Reds to 5 runs or less and hopefully the bullpen and the offense are ready to go.

• This reply was modified 6 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 6 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What are the odds this Aristotle Onassis guy goes crazy against us in this four game series?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He might go crazy tonight Rat as Wacha is known to give up the long ball.

Wacha seems to be headed down a similar path as Matt Harvey, which is a once promising star hurler who crashed and burned.

Who is the long man tonight? Helsley? He better be ready for 3 or 4 innings.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t mind seeing Wong moved to the top of the order for a few games to see if he can keep getting on base. I would be ok with:

2B Wong
    RF Fowler
    1B Goldy
    LF Ozuna
    3B Carpenter
    CF Arozarena
    SS Edman
    C Wieters

In one of the next two to see if we can stack a lineup with lefties. Probably tomorrow as Gray actually has reverse splits and is better against LHB. Castillo is good against both but much better against RHB.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Trevor Bauer got lit up last night and through three starts with the Reds, his ERA is 7.31. (His FIP is just under 5.00.) The Cards won’t get a crack at him this series.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Good game for us last night. Not sure about this one. Reds are coming off a loss last night scoring 7 runs- homering twice. Doesn’t sound good for Wacha. Gray has only been giving up 2 runs lately. If Wacha can keep the ball in the park and gets timely relief(bull pen) we could win this. Good offense last night. Ozuna gettin’ close to the wall twice and DeJongs found his swing again! If Goldy gets firing we may get really good soon.Go Cardinals! Oh yeah, Goldy hasn’t been lookin comfortable at the plate lately.Wonder whats up?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Aquino is an easy at bat. Walk him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    2. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    8. Randy Arozarena (R) CF
    9. Michael Wacha (R) P

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Love Edman, but you just had to know he wouldn’t be rewarded with a start after going 0-5 last night. These Reds are going to be boiling mad tonight on the heels of getting it handed to them 3 straight in our nation’s capital. Trust me when I say that the ’27 Yankees wouldn’t have a prayer vs these chaps tonight. I’m calling it 10-3 Bad Guys with Suarez finding the upper reaches of the outfield rafters twice. Hope I’m wrong! (but unfortunately it’s not likley).

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That sounds pretty sure, Pugs!!

For some balance, I will say that Wacha goes 5 innings and gives up 5 runs, but the bullpen bears down and the offense wears down Gray (6 IP, 3 ER). Randy Arozarena drives in two with a 7th inning double to tie it and the much maligned Matt Carpenter hits a go ahead HR in the 8th. The Cards win 7-6.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I unequivocally respect your prognosticational abilities, Stlcard25, but certainly you must be joshing…..Carpenter the hero??????

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Redbirds need the offense to step it up! They need the offense to consistently make noise if they are to make a serious run for a playoff spot. Here’s to starting that off tonight,

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There they go again … six up and six down. Argh!!!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far, pitching has ruled the day. Wacha has a little more giddyup in his fastball tonight, hitting 96 regularly. He probably knows he’s pitching for his baseball life right now.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Need to make them pay here.

Now the bases are loaded … really need to take advantage … even with two outs.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 14 hours ago by Avatar 1964cards.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marp hit on the foot and he’s limping. Goldy up now with the bases loaded. A granny would be nice.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That was tough

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy let a hittable pitch go by 1-0…the Cards seem really good at that kind of stuff. Hope it won’t bite them here. Now he takes another one. That was a terrible at bat. You simply can’t strike out looking 2-2 with the bases loaded.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Goldy is back to being not good. Awful approach that AB.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna draws a leadoff walk. The Cards must start making Gray pay. A hit would be a start.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

DeJong fouled off two pitches that might’ve hit him if he hadn’t made contact. Then he looks at a pitch over the plate for the ꓘ. Cards don’t hit consistently because they just don’t recognize balls/strikes very well.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gray with about the least impressive no hit outing I’ve seen thus far. The Cards have struck out several times looking on fastballs it seems, which has really helped him out.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

How can you take a FB for a strike with 2 strikes…you can’t be guessing with 2 strikes?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years