StL 2019 Game 116 thread: Sat 8/10 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 116 thread: Sat 8/10 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Reds doing us a solid the past two nights, lol.

Can we catch the Cubs again?

Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of As The NL Central turns….

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Again, the Cardinals are playing Edman to get his speed and his ability to hit left-handed in the line-up and I agree with that.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears that Shildt thinks Edman can be our version of Ben Zobrist, play all over the field, top of the order good contact switch hitter. As long as we win no one will care but the first time he makes an error in RF to cost us a game there will be an uproar. Of course he can’t be any worse defensively than JMart.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs are something else with their schizophrenic home/road splits. I haven’t seen a team that extreme since the ‘87 Twins…ooops

Oh well we are only 2 games out. Let’s keep the pressure on the Cubs. They still have a bunch of road games left.

Participant

Free

We’re the 2nd worst offensive team in MLB in situational hitting.

Cluster Luck

This is something I haven’t quite bought into but I think the last time we were this high in this so called stat was 2015.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t care if the Cardinals agree with me or not. It is stupid to continue playing an infielder in the outfield when there are more capable outfielders sitting on the bench. If his bat is that important, start him in the infield.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some people do care about the repeated use of an infielder in the outfield. I like Edman, but I believe he is being overused and misused.

As far as his left-handed hitting prowess, here is his slash line in that role:

.257/.289/.422/.711

Participant

Free

Just found this thread but I have to say I agree with Shildt on his use of Edman. You can spout all the stats you want – the guy delivers in either the IF or OF and at the plate. I was particularly impressed that he was put at 3B in the 7th and, at least for me, that was a defensive move as he has shown to be a much better defender than Carp. As of the OF play, when ONeil comes back, Edman will probably be limited use in the OF but for now I prefer him to be in the lineup as much as possible.

Just for fun I would like to see a foot race between Edman, Carp, Molina and Wieters from home plate around the bases. Edman would be in the club house showered and shaved before the next one crossed the plate. My order of finish would be TE, MC, MW and YM.

Participant

Free

We have 4 games with the Reds coming up. It is going to be a tough task to even get a split. That new guy Aquino hit 3 home runs last night. I guess he replaces Scooter whom they got rid of – but then Scooter hit 4 against us……LOL

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please explain why Lane Thomas or Randy Arozarena, better hitters than Edman and proven outfielders, would not be a better choice in center, also moving Fowler to right and improving the defense at two positions?

I agree with Forsch, who suggested Edman should be in the infield mix, not in the outfield.

Please provide more than the eye test as justification that the scrappy utilityman should be playing every day. Thanks.

Participant

Free

BHC wrote:
    <You really don’t understand what the argument is against him in RF do you? Its obvious you don’t because you can’t even refute what others are saying.>

Gee and I thought (and have been told many times) that we are all entitled to an opinion here and should not be criticized for it. uh huh, chuckling. All I know is all the arguments and stats against Tommy Edman in RF have fallen flat on their face. The go-ahead run last night was a result of his bat and stupid Pittsburgh play. I think I will stick with Shildt’s choices. He is the guy being paid to make them and he is the guy who lives in the clubhouse and knows what goes on in there. As for Edman in RF, he seems to have the speed and eye to do the job. Perhaps when ONeil comes back, things will change. Until then let the game results be the judge.

Oh yeah. I also favor extending Ozuna. That should stir up the natives.

Participant

Free

I like seeing Edman in the lineup. I also agree with those who believe he should be used in the infield. The problem is, 1st, 2nd and short are already occupied by people as good or better than he is. That realistically leaves only 3rd. And we all know The problems that involves – money, defensive ability, recent slump, the leadoff spot. What’s a manager to do? It seems the choice is, if Carpenter plays, Edman does not, at least not in the infield. That only leaves the outfield. All completely logical. Edman sits or Thomas sits. The field boss has chosen to sit Thomas. And I’m sure he has his reasons. We just don’t know what they are.

The last two games have left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling, even if we are beating up on the bottom dwellers. Glad today is a day game so I can watch it in real time after dinner tonight.

Rah Cardinals.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can we catch the Cubs again?

Can and will. For the rest of the month we’ll be playing the Reds and the Brewers… (home and away series), with the Royals (2 away) and the Rocks (4 at home) thrown in. Heck, I don’t have to tell you this… just enjoy all the games because they all are important.

Hey, get off Edman’s back… he just runs out there to wherever when he’s in the lineup.

ps. a lot of teams players are already booking golf times for October.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have nothing against Edman. As I wrote:

“I like Edman, but I believe he is being overused and misused.”

I thought we all know who makes up the lineup cards, but if there is any confusion about that, it is manager Mike Shildt.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I do not think he is being misused.

Participant

Free

There are some folks who aren’t in favor of Wong and wanted/want to trade him. His glove should get him the gold glove, he leads the team in BA (out of qualifiers) and runs like a gazelle AND his contract is actually a very “positive value”! That’s the guy you don’t trade in my opinion.

I’d like to see him at least given a shot in the 1 or 2 spot, is there a known reason why they haven’t?

Participant

Paid - Annual

OK, let’s try this another way. Can anyone explain, with numbers and not eye test, how Edman is a better hitter than Thomas?

Participant

Free

Educate me. How many MLB starts has Thomas had vs Edman. How many singles, doubles, triples, home runs? And just to be mean – how many grand slams? You see I am an ‘eye’ guy. Stats only say what somebody has done and not what they will do. In essence stats only serve to raise (or lower) the expectations of the viewer. I prefer to not have my mind polluted with 10 bazillion stats but there are others that do so have at it.

I have a fond memory of my first day in the Statistics course in college. The professor walked in and said: “Take a note. Liars figure and figures lie.” I took that note and have never forgotten it. So when I see something called WAR, I just smile and keep looking for anyone that has proven a WAR. Other things I just flat do not comprehend and it seems like the stat boys invent more every day. But Dan McLaughlin has them all memorized and spews them out for 9 innings every night regardless if they pertain to the game at hand or to a player from 40 years ago.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think anyone is opposed to having Edman in the lineup although I think he will be exposed by playing everyday. The concern most have is playing him in RIGHT FIELD, where he has little experience. Believe it or not defense does matter. An OF of Ozuna, Fowler, and Edman is very poor defensively and it will catch up with us eventually.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh yeah. I also favor extending Ozuna. That should stir up the natives.

Ozuna’s paycheck was given to Carp with his ill timed extension. They aren’t going to pay for both next year.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Why does MLB even have replay they still can’t get the calls right. Its a freaking joke.

Participant

Free

Gee and I thought (and have been told many times) that we are all entitled to an opinion here and should not be criticized for it. uh huh, chuckling. All I know is all the arguments and stats against Tommy Edman in RF have fallen flat on their face. The go-ahead run last night was a result of his bat and stupid Pittsburgh play. I think I will stick with Shildt’s choices. He is the guy being paid to make them and he is the guy who lives in the clubhouse and knows what goes on in there. As for Edman in RF, he seems to have the speed and eye to do the job. Perhaps when ONeil comes back, things will change. Until then let the game results be the judge.

Oi vey! *face palm turning into hilarious laughter* You really don’t know what you’re talking about, which isn’t a surprise. I’ll say the same thing to you, MM3, that I said to GameCard. You obviously don’t understand the argument against Tommy Edman. Its not even really about him (as do many others) and think he will be a very fine utility infielder (as so many others). The argument is using him in a position that he hasn’t played in since he was in middle school and the fact he’s being overused. Then you have an outfielder who was playing very well in Memphis before being called up only to rot on the bench unless they need a pinch runner.

Participant

Free

Black Hills Card wrote
    <You really don’t know what you’re talking about, which isn’t a surprise. I’ll say the same thing to you, MM3, that I said to GameCard. You obviously don’t understand the argument against Tommy Edman. >

Oh believe me I understand it well and I think I was probably playing baseball when you were still kicking the slats out of your cradle. Tommy Edman did just fine when he was in the OF (sorry you have no room to gripe) and also today in the IF. Lane Thomas was a hero today and is catching up with Edman but since he doesn’t play IF, it will be hard to equal him on IF plays. In short, despite your sour disposition, BOTH Edman and Thomas played today and both did well. Maybe, just maybe, it is you who doesn’t know his butt from third base but since all I ever see is negative stuff I can already imagine the response. I think I have about had my fill of responding to your posts.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I also have been following baseball(Cardinals) for a long time(65yrs.) and I clearly know what I am talking about. Edman and Thomas both played well today and hopefully will in the future. Mike Shildt knows what he is doing too.

Participant

Free

Oh believe me I understand it well and I think I was probably playing baseball when you were still kicking the slats out of your cradle. Tommy Edman did just fine when he was in the OF (sorry you have no room to gripe) and also today in the IF. Lane Thomas was a hero today and is catching up with Edman but since he doesn’t play IF, it will be hard to equal him on IF plays. In short, despite your sour disposition, BOTH Edman and Thomas played today and both did well.

The arrogance and doubling down here is hilarious and absurd. The fact you think I don’t appreciate Edman’s play shows you don’t understand anything at all. The fact you don’t even use stats (or bother to understand them) is additional evidence.

Maybe, just maybe, it is you who doesn’t know his butt from third base but since all I ever see is negative stuff I can already imagine the response. I think I have about had my fill of responding to your posts.

I don’t even know what you’re talking about. I don’t know my butt from third base? Is that suppose to be an insult? From someone who doesn’t bother to understand stats that’s classy and hilarious. I’m not the only person on this forum that thinks its crazy Tommy Edman and Yairo Munoz keep getting starts in the OF while Lane Thomas was relegated to pinch runner.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years