StL 2019 Game 115 thread: Fri 8/9 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 115 thread: Fri 8/9 vs. Bucs

This topic contains 67 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Wooster 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He was called up to be a reserve outfielder and that is how they are using him. How is that hard to understand?

How hard is if for you to understand that Shildt keeps starting infielders in the outfield over a legitimate outfielder?

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am fine with how Mike Shildt manages the team…it is up to the players to perform at a higher level than they have been.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t care if you’re a left handed or right handed can we just get 3 or 4 hitters who can hit situationally? Geez

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schildt deserves blame also along with the players.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Your opinion, not mine.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

yea I think we should have an actual outfielder in the outfield instead of edman. edman should be starting at third or coming in for carpenter if you start him and he struggles like usual. its not like edman has been really hitting well lately. we just lost five games mainly because of our offensive woes though not totally.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

my main problem with shildt is that he doesn’t really manage in my view. he doesn’t bunt at all with runners at third and less than two outs. I mean I understand if you don’t believe in that approach, then don’t do it a lot. but to just never do it at all is just bad strategy. maybe if he did a squeeze here and there or something similar, just maybe the other teams would have to at least entertain the ideal the cardinals might do it. right now they can just basically figure not to have to worry about that which makes it a lot easier for them. theres other things but that’s my biggest gripe.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I think calling a guy up from AAA who was actually playing well only to ride the bench unless you need a pinch runner is stupid. He’s not even benching Thomas for a veteran, but for another rookie.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Your opinion, not Mike Shildt’s and I bet he has more info than you.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Because he’s coaching this team so well. 🙄

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

When you score 7 runs in 5 games no Manager is going to win.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So try actually starting your outfielder who you only use as a pinch runner.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brilliant to use top 2 of your best 5 prospects sparingly, and veterans who aren’t hitting, or pitching well regularly. That’s some great managing.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, I don’t understand why Edman is playing regularly in the OF, either. Thomas was hitting very well in Memphis before being called up. At this point, I am wondering if after sitting for a week if he would be sharp even if he got a start now. (Like I said before, I always liked it when TLR started a new call-up his first day on the roster.)

Having said that, the following does not compute.

gscottar said:

Once again we have all of these “untouchable” prospects that can’t be traded for a pitching upgrade but then we turn around and won’t play them or won’t promote them. It is baffling.

I don’t understand what you are talking about here. Who are “all of these ‘untouchable’ prospects”?

As far as I know, the only prospects said to be “untouchable” were Gorman and Carlson, neither of whom have anything to do with St. Louis at this time. (While they are no longer prospects, another rumor had O’Neill or Bader requested by the Mets for two months of Wheeler, but the Cards said no.)

I wish they had improved the team at the deadline, too, but let’s stick to reality in our criticism of the front office… But if I missed it, please share your source that Thomas (not playing) and/or Arozarena (not promoted) are/were deemed untouchable and I will consider myself educated and withdraw my comment. Thanks.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Speaking of trading Bader or O’Neil for Wheeler,

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The above would seem to bode well for Helsley.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Bottom 4th and Cards have runners on 1B and 3B with 2 outs. Wieters up with JMart on deck for Hudson. Webb is warming up.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nice inning by a former Gamecock Tyler Webb.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cy Archer with 9 Ks through 5 innings.

The Field of Dreams game next year looks amazing.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So apparently Arozarena isn’t in the Memphis lineup tonight. I’m not putting too much into it because it could and probably is just getting him a night off.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Re: Arozarena, it is almost certainly nothing unusual. Garcia has been sitting more often lately, with Bader playing every day and Williams heating up. Arozarena also sat out last Friday (a week ago tonight).

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I used untouchable in quotes because the only two stated as such were Gorman and Carlson, however, it was reported that Bader and O’Neill were asked for but we turned the other team down. I don’t know if Randy or Thomas were specifically asked about by other teams but I don’t know why they wouldn’t have considering their performance this year and their ranking in our system.

The bottom line is our FO seemed to be saying we need these guys in our organization but then turn around and not use them. That is what doesn’t compute to me.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals also claim they have gluttony of outfielders that’s creating a logjam but then use infielders to play the outfield.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I said, I think Thomas should be playing over Edman, but given he isn’t, why bring up Arozarena just to sit on the bench, too? (Given 25-man space, it would likely be one of the other, with Thomas going down if Randy comes up.)

P.S. O’Neill is getting close to starting his minor league rehab games. As soon as he is back, both Thomas and Arozarena will likely be in Memphis.

My issue was with erroneously labeling guys as “untouchable” who aren’t (quotes or not).

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidt gets a questionable RBI single that went under the glove of the Pirates SS Newman to give the Cards a 3-2 lead in the eighth. Which Carlos will we see tonight?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years