StL 2019 Game 115 thread: Fri 8/9 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 115 thread: Fri 8/9 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After Thursday off…
    7:15 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (10-6, 3.99) vs. RHP Chris Archer (3-8, 5.35) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs leading the Reds 9-5 in the 7th. Looks like we might be four games out heading into the Pittsburgh game on Friday night.

r/Esteemed Rat

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

The cubs actually attacked the trade deadline w urgency. Castellanos hasn’t gone a game without a hit since joining the cubs. He is 14-33 with 2 walks in 8 games. They are a club that attacks the ball and plays w an attack demeanor. Not only does Mo do zero all of the time, the FO has zero sense of urgency, and the cardinal players are just soft. They have zero toughness and are complete pretenders.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Going into last night the Cubs had the worst road record in the NL except for the Marlins. A majority of the Cubs remaining games are on the road so I’m not sure I am buying Fangraphs formula.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The cubs actually attacked the trade deadline w urgency. Castellanos hasn’t gone a game without a hit since joining the cubs. He is 14-33 with 2 walks in 8 games. They are a club that attacks the ball and plays w an attack demeanor. Not only does Mo do zero all of the time, the FO has zero sense of urgency, and the cardinal players are just soft. They have zero toughness and are complete pretenders.

Stp, I don’t know if I agree with the players being soft because I don’t know how you would measure that. I do agree with your other points though. The Cubs FO has been uber aggressive since the end of 2014 and the Cards FO has been mostly stagnant and seemingly content to live off of past successes.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, the Pirates are coming to town, thank goodness. We really need to whip up on these bottom dwellers. If we can’t do that, who the heck ARE we going to beat?
    Our major problem this year is clearly the offense. We simply can’t hit. Shouldn’t that in some way involve the hitting coach? Last year this board was merciless in its criticism of Mabry. This year so far not a peep about good ol’ whatshisname.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I don’t know if I agree with the players being soft because I don’t know how you would measure that.

When you say that the players got significantly worse due to the mental anguish of the front office not making deadline deals, you are explicitly calling them soft.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Hoping to get to watch a Junior Fernandez inning or two tonight, and THEN a Gallegos save!

-I’m calling a 5-3 Cards win
    -An Ozuna 2R bomb to right center
    -Carp with 1 BB, a pop up to foul ground and 3 K’s
    -The good news for DeWallet, a close to sell out crowd with a much lower payroll than they should have

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Our major problem this year is clearly the offense. We simply can’t hit. Shouldn’t that in some way involve the hitting coach? Last year this board was merciless in its criticism of Mabry. This year so far not a peep about good ol’ whatshisname.

I agree completely. Outside of Ozuna, our new hitting coach is not having a positive effect on anyone. And now I just checkod on Ozuna’s stats, and he’s not really doing anything out of the ordinary for him aside from a hot start to the season and the first few months when he was coming up to bat with an inordinate amount of runners on base. He has been a sub-.800 OPS guy since the beginning of May.

Then again, I’m of the opinion that firing the hitting coach now is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When you say that the players got significantly worse due to the mental anguish of the front office not making deadline deals, you are explicitly calling them soft.

No, I am calling them human.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some humans surely might be disappointed, but if the disappointment lingers and significantly affects player job performance over time, there would seem to be more to it.

My take is that people sometimes latch onto story lines that feel good and feel right to them but they may not be as substantive as assumed. So many factors are woven together into how a group of diverse individuals perform as a team that there is no way to accurately sort out the impact of any one of them – especially one that is emotion-based by definition.

So, we are left to our opinions…

Wooster
    Participant

Free

We have played this pitching match up before Christmas in Pittsburg a couple weeks ago. Tonight I guess we will see if the team really wants to contend for the Division title. Typically they are really bad the first game back in town. I would think they would be somewhat embaressed about the road trip.Gonna have to find a real closer somehow. This junk about not playing sounds cause of the deadline sounds like a bunch of BS to me. If people are really sandbagin then shame on them. If its true Shildt needs to search em out and send em down the highway. Not a one of them on our team is good enough to put up with that stuff. If somebody actually did express this story to the media then hes an idiot and too dumb to play on our team. Anybody is replaceable. Play well tonight and it will be recognized. Go Cardinals!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Basically, this team is driving its followers into a constant state of going bananas-bonkers.

Um, no, Bill DeWitt Jr. is not Stan Kroenke. But I just wish Bill DeWitt Jr. could become Bill DeWitt Jr. again. And build an enviable farm system that cranks out elite prospects … which would save the Cardinals from pouring money into aging veterans … which would prevent the Cardinals from having an inefficient, bad-value payroll. The problem isn’t about DeWitt being cheap … the problem is that his baseball operation is throwing away money. They could have the same record, and probably a better record, by spending about $30 million LESS than they are now.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

In other words, the problem isn’t Bill DeWitt. The problem is Mo.

No ****, Sherlock. Plenty of people have been saying that for a while. I just wish Bill DeWitt would realize that.

Thank you for the share, though, gscott.

Edit: The Sherlock, in this case, is in general. I was not directing that at you, gscott. I read it after posting and it sounded like I was attacking you. Definitely did not mean it that way.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lol Tommy Edman, again? Glorified pinch-baserunner Thomas Lane says hello.

Makes sense they’re celebrating the 1990s when the offense was just as dreadful.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t understand that at all. Maybe the team has already given up and is trying out players for next year. The Pirates have been terrible since the break at least. Maybe Archer will taunt our players some more.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why isn’t Thomas playing? Edman is right field next to Fowler in Center is not the best choice. Why not sit Carpenter, Fowler, Edman and Martinez on consecutive nights and give him an extended chance. You call him up just to let him ride the pines? It makes no sense.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He was called up to be a reserve outfielder and that is how they are using him. How is that hard to understand?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

When is DeJong going to figure out how to hit the pitch up in the strike zone? That’s what he struck out on during the Wednesday night game against the Dodgers. They pitch him high in the strike zone and he cant hit it. The league has caught up to him. When is he going to adjust?

WHEN????????

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t get the Edman thing either. He started out like gangbusters doing his Joe McEwing and Bo Hart impersonation but that has worn off. He is what he is which is a very nice utility player. Nothing wrong with that. He has value to the team but not as an everyday player, and certainly not as a regular in RF. That is just weird. I wonder about Shildt sometimes.

If Thomas is just going to be a pinch runner then send him back to Memphis. Once again we have all of these “untouchable” prospects that can’t be traded for a pitching upgrade but then we turn around and won’t play them or won’t promote them. It is baffling.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He is a LH bat tonight…that is why he is playing.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman is an infielder playing the outfield. How does that make sense? I like him and all but let’s see others can do. Especially when you’ve lost 5 in a row. I’m supposed to understand that?

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Being a LH bat is a premium on our team,hope he can hit ml pitching.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.