StL 2019 Game 115 thread: Fri 8/9 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 115 thread: Fri 8/9 vs. Bucs

This topic contains 67 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Wooster 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Breathing room created with Ozuna’s two-run HR into the LF bullpen. Cards up 5-2.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully CMart can close this out with no damage. He needs some redemption and confidence after Wednesday.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice win. Picked up a game on the Cubs.

I will say this: Fowler seems comfortable hitting lead off and Carp seems a little more comfortable hitting sixth.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I don’t understand what you are talking about here. Who are “all of these ‘untouchable’ prospects”?

As far as I know, the only prospects said to be “untouchable” were Gorman and Carlson, neither of whom have anything to do with St. Louis at this time. (While they are no longer prospects, another rumor had O’Neill or Bader requested by the Mets for two months of Wheeler, but the Cards said no.)

I wish they had improved the team at the deadline, too, but let’s stick to reality in our criticism of the front office… But if I missed it, please share your source that Thomas (not playing) and/or Arozarena (not promoted) are/were deemed untouchable and I will consider myself educated and withdraw my comment. Thanks.

Point being they should’ve added to this team for the stretch and did not. That’s what he’s getting at.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Any reason Hudson was pulled after 4 innings?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good team win! Nice to see Dexter having success in the lead off spot.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Any reason Hudson was pulled after 4 innings?

Earlier in the game, Hudson was visited on the mound by the trainer. McLaughlin and Edmonds briefly speculated it could be a blister. Then, in the 4th inning, Hudson was due up next with Wieters batting and runners on the corners with two outs. JMart went to the on deck circle and Edmonds said it might be just for show to get Archer to pitch to Wieters. He did and Wieters got an infield hit driving in the tying run.

Shildt decided to let JMart pinch hit anyway, which again caused either Mac and Edmonds to speculate about Hudson having a blister. I think they admitted they were just guessing. I think it could’ve been with two runners on, Shildt simply wanted to give the struggling offense a real chance to break the tie. It didn’t work though, as I think I remember JMart struck out.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Congratulations to the Cardinals for the win tonight. Good game by all. The big bats were workin! YOWZA! Theres a good story on mlb.com by interviewing Schildt why he pulled Hudson. A pretty savy managerial move. He may be better respected if folks knew why they do some things the way they do. Go Cardinals!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards only 3 out and 2 in the loss column…. 1 up on MIL in the loss column.

We’re going to win this thing somehow. Stay optimistic, the rest of August and September will be exciting times. The standings will likely change day to day. We just have to get to the top and stay there. CHC ain’t that good.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Shildt decided to let JMart pinch hit anyway, which again caused either Mac and Edmonds to speculate about Hudson having a blister. >

Later story said that Hudson actually did have a open slice on this pointer finger which he said didn’t bother him. Good move on the pinch hit regardless of the strike out by JMart. Hudson is about our least reliable pitcher at the moment.

I like that Shildt is keeping Edman in the lineup even if he has to play RF. The guy is super fast and swings a good bat and his OF work has been totally good.

Enjoyed seeing Matt Holliday but the interview went nuts with the camera constantly on him and McLaughlin and almost totally ignoring what was going on in the game. A triple by Edman and a review of the play was not good enough to deserve much of a mention but the most aggravating thing was the fact that they insisted on keeping the camera on Holliday and McLaughlin instead of the field. I don’t mind listening to Matt but know full well what he looks like. But then Edmonds and McLaughlin kept talking about the interview for another inning. I know I am in a minority but I think McLaughlin is a total showoff who insists on showing how smart he is an how his memory is so photographic but he is getting a lot of stats fed to him through his earphones.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t get to watch this one, but good that the Cards managed to win. The Pirates are in a total tailspin so they really need to finish them off this weekend. It’s not often that there’s a must-sweep series but this is probably as close as they get in early August.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MM3, this is something that you and I agree on. THE FSM broadcasts can be tedious to watch. They tend to get so easily sidetracked by a bunch of trivial nonsense that has nothing to do with the game. I usually end up just watching the game with the TV muted.

I will also add that Danny Mac is fortunate to have this job. I am all for redemption and second chances and maybe even third chances but a lot of people wouldn’t have been brought back if they had pulled some of the off the field shenanigans he has pulled.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I usually don’t have strong critiques of sports announcers because I don’t really pay much attention to them. Their involvement is not critical to how I process and analyze a game. However, I know many folks are very annoyed by announcers everywhere. It’s something you hear a lot in different sports — tennis for some reason is where I think announcers often over-analyze and cheerlead too much. My son and I are Packers’ fans and after a game, he will sometimes tell me something like Aikman was being annoyingly giddy over the Packers’ struggles. I have a couple times re-watched parts of those games and could see why my son feels that way, but it was stuff that I didn’t notice live.

Having said that, it was distracting from the game the way the camera focused on Holliday for so long and how the “interview” meandered and dominated the broadcast for its duration. It almost seemed like they were in a rain delay.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<gscottar wrote:

MM3, this is something that you and I agree on. THE FSM broadcasts can be tedious to watch. They tend to get so easily sidetracked by a bunch of trivial nonsense that has nothing to do with the game. I usually end up just watching the game with the TV muted.

I will also add that Danny Mac is fortunate to have this job. I am all for redemption and second chances and maybe even third chances but a lot of people wouldn’t have been brought back if they had pulled some of the off the filed shenanigans he has pulled>

Boy do we ever agree 100% on your post. Thompson and Horton are both chatty kathys but Danny Mac is the one who seems to lead them on and takes off prattling incessantly. He is extremely fortunate to have that job. I don’t know many ‘personalities’ who have survived two DWIs and still have their jobs. With Fox Sports Midwest I find that sometimes the mute button is my best friend and last night turned into one of those times. I particularly object to his managing from the booth with his ‘could haves’ and ‘should haves’. Announce the damn game and give your opinions to your kids Danny.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone else mulling over the possibility of extending Dexter’s contractual obligations another year or two? We need that one veteran influence in the outfield to mentor the upcoming youngsters. Who better?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone else mulling over the possibility of extending Dexter’s contractual obligations another year or two? We need that one veteran influence in the outfield to mentor the upcoming youngsters. Who better?

Pugs, please don’t give Mo any ideas. He is way too trigger happy when it comes to extensions. I keep expecting to wake up to find out that Fowler, Carp, Molina, Waino, and Wacha have all been extended to 2025. That will give you night sweats believe me.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just trying a little reverse psychology on Mo, Scotty, since he never does what I want him to do. I wonder what kind of a kid Mo was? I bet if he was one of the two dodgeball captains in grade school taking turns picking their teams, Mo most likely used his top 4 selections on girls……no offense ladies! Gotta be careful these days.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hey Pugsley, where you been? Everything ok? Been missing you on the forum. Hope to see ya there!

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years