StL 2019 Game 112 thread: Mon 8/5 at Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 112 thread: Mon 8/5 at Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

9:10 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (6-4, 5.15) vs. RHP Tony Gonsolin (0-1, 5.63) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why all the TBA’s for the Dodgers?

If he goes on normal rest Kershaw will pitch the Tuesday night game. I am going to record that one to watch this coming winter when I need my baseball fix.

Sausage patties, corn OTC, chocolate cake, a Klondike bar, and a Sunkist Orange for lunch. Then a 7×50 Palma Real cigar once the Cards game starts.

r/Esteemed Rat

NOTE: This is all for Sunday vs the A’s.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, it is because the Dodgers had not announced their starters yet. Nothing more to it than that.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Rest assured they will want to give us some payback for that 4 game sweep at Busch. Didn’t seem to have hurt them terribly. Kershaw is usually prime cut for the Cards no matter how bad they are.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Wacha going for us and a fresh RHP for them, what could possibly go wrong? The Cards are doomed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far we are 3-5 on our tough 11 game swing against playoff caliber teams with 3 games to go. We need to get at least one win at Dodger stadium to stay within shouting distance of the Cubs since it is apparently illegal for them to lose at Wrigley. They host the A’s the next three days.

After this Dodger series the rest of the month looks much more manageable schedule wise. Let’s just stay close and keep the pressure on the Cubs. They can’t play all of their games at home.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I think “hope” is insufficient for dealing with these ex-Brooklynites tonight. “Luck” is what we need. A very large heap of it. Who’s the luckiest among our guys? Perhaps it’s time for our happy buddy Jmart to unleash is bat for an evening of terror out there in LA.
    I’ve just finished an uninspiring repast of salmon patties and creamed peas, followed by a large bowl of raspberries and white cheese sprinkled lightly with sugar.
    Rah Cardinals!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Keep an eye on Ozuna these last several weeks. In my mind what happens to him in the off-season will be determined between now and the end of the year. If he continues at his current pace I expect him to be gone at the end of the year. That would be two years without coming close to what he did in Miami. However, if he does fairly well between now and the end of the year I expect he will be back in St. Louis in 2020.

Lunch today was a center cut rib chop, corn otc, Sunkist Orange, a piece of chocolate layer cake and a Klondike bar. For my LATE supper tonight during the game it will be a double bacon and egg sandwich with my last piece of cherry pie from the Gasthof (the amish restaurant).

r/Esteemed Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Contreras and Kimbrel to the DL

Contreras could be gone for almost a month.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Looks like tonight may be our best chance in this series to win a game. They had a starter go down and are calling on Goslin. His major league experience against our dormant offense? Can’t help but feel they’re playin this one with one hand tied behind their back. They have an insane win record at home. Something like 43-15. Maybe our sleeping bats will wake up today. Maybe Wacha can right his ship but its still gonna take some rbi’s to win it

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Oh yeah Goslin has almost no major league experience

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Keep an eye on Ozuna these last several weeks. In my mind what happens to him in the off-season will be determined between now and the end of the year. If he continues at his current pace I expect him to be gone at the end of the year. That would be two years without coming close to what he did in Miami. However, if he does fairly well between now and the end of the year I expect he will be back in St. Louis in 2020.

Ironically, VEB had an article today on Ozuna’s 2019. The conclusion? Batted ball luck is what stands between he and his 2017 numbers.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/8/5/20754194/what-to-do-with-ozuna

Beyond that, they guess at what the Cards may do with him this winter.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I have mixed feelings about Ozuna. Most of the early season was spent being disappointed because he wasn’t Yelich. Then, while not impressive with the glove, he started to hit a little better. On the one hand, it’s hard not to like a guy who is still your RBI leader even after serious stint on the DL. On the other hand, being the best of a sad lineup isn’t something to hoot your horn about. On the third hand (if you have one), you have to ask yourself what kind of final 50 games will he have post DL and does he even want to remain a Cardinal.

By the way Rats, what is this Klondike Bar of which you speak and, apparently, consume large quantities of? I’ve never heard of it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is more to the story on Ozuna than just his production on the field. He is going to want a lot of $$$$ and the Cardinals are running out of financial flexibility due to other contracts on the books. As I posted in a different thread, the Cards already have $146M obligated next year to 11 players, which means there will be 15 other roster spots to pay for also. Our current payroll is $163M so we would have to have a significant increase in payroll or try to reduce existing obligations (good luck) before we consider Ozuna.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh yeah Goslin has almost no major league experience

You know what that means. 7 innings of shutout ball coming up.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

At this point all you hope for is 6 innings from Wacha and 4 runs of support. That’ll give them about a 50% chance of pulling this out.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals have about $20 million of increasing contracts for next year before arbitration and free agent signings. That is assuming Wacha, Wieters and Leone are not re-signed. Obviously, letting Ozuna walk saves $12.25 million. However, after 2020, the payroll will drop by $45 million from 2019 levels before figuring arbitration and free agent signings.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cardinal in France wrote…….By the way Rats, what is this Klondike Bar of which you speak and, apparently, consume large quantities of? I’ve never heard of it.

Its sort of a square ice cream bar. Vanilla ice cream covered with chocolate. Keep them in the freezer.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2KIbNCRr0hd_PYAKjpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZGs5bDRnBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjc2NzZfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=klondike+bar&fr=yfp-t#id=3&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fnotesfromrumblycottage.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F12%2Fklondike-bar-klondikebar-com.png&action=click

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Repeating: Odds are high that Ozuna will not be returning in 2020.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lane Thomas must have kicked Shildt’s dog. Dude can’t even hit a home run into a start.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps the most consistent part about Shildt is his devotion to veterans. On the other hand, TLR seemed to often have a young player in his starting lineup the day the player joined the team.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Uninspiring” is right, CardinalinFrance. Your entree for tonight’s game marked the first time that I turned my nose up and away from your usually wonderful dishes. The Esteemed Rat takes home the blue ribbon for what he nibbled on today…..good stuff, Rat! My din-din? Fresh red snapper, a broccoli-cauliflower dish, wild rice, water…..and for dessert, I have the daughter heading down to the super market as we speak to pick up a couple boxes of Rat’s Klondike bars. Hey Wooster….your OJ-seltzer drink is a winner! I went with 2/3’s OJ and 1/3 seltzer though.

If you’re the Cards, you have to go into this series thinking sweep. If they bench Carp, or at the least bat him 7th or 8th, then they have a shot. I’ll call this one 5-3 Birds with JMart going deep.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well since we’re sharing dinner ideas before the game, I’m having creamy potato soup, a garden salad with ginger dressing, gyoza, sweet iced tea and ice cream with freshly chopped strawberries. I just saw the latest Klondike ads on twitter and now you all are talking about it, so I think I’m gonna pick up a box myself.

I wonder what the Cardinals would do-ooh-ooh for a klondike bar?

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

For everyone’s belly-aching about Carpenter hitting leadoff, I am glad I am not the manager having to find a leadoff hitter and 3B. Carpenter has been bad this year, but the two guys people think should be in there (Edman and Munoz) are OPSing .574 and .604, respectively, over the last 28 days. They both play better defense than Carp, but neither are top defenders at 3B.

I agree with everyone saying that Thomas should be getting playing time. Jose Martinez has not been much of a hitter lately, and he hasn’t hit righties very well this season. Same for Fowler and lefties. They should probably be platooning with Thomas starting everyday.

This lineup’s only chance down the stretch is to get the real Matt Carpenter, the real Goldschmidt, and top Ozuna all together the next two months. What are the odds of that? Probably not great, but it’s greater than zero.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.