Scott and Saggese provide solid insurance this season

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Scott and Saggese provide solid insurance this season

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I think it was the “Ol’ Perfessor” who often mentioned the phrase, “You could look it up”…

bccran
    Participant

Shady – I always try to substantiate my opinions about players with stats and sometimes quotes from scouting reports. Otherwise my opinion doesn’t hold any weight. I believe other posters expect this of me (and of any other poster who expresses an opinion).

bccran
    Participant

1TD – I think Ian Bedell is a pretty darn good pitching prospect. What do you think about him?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Never seen him work, bc.

bccran
    Participant

Well, as the “Ol’ Perfessor” says…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…Yeah, and I think the only device he had was made of papyrus…

bccran
    Participant

Victor Scott was drafted in the 5th round in 2022 out of West Virginia University. He got 31 games in at low A Palm Beach that summer and d

bccran
    Participant

Scott didn’t open many eyes at low A Palm Beach in 2022. He slashed .222/.358/.389/.747. Stole 13 bases.

It was a wild ride for him in 2023, his first full season as a pro.
    He had 66 games at high A Peoria, where he slashed .282/.365/.399/.763 on 308 PAs. But he opened lots of eyes with his speed, swiping 50 bases in those 66 games. He was then promoted to AA Springfield, where in 66 more games he slashed .323/.373/.450/.824 in 310 PAs. He stole an additional 44 bases for a total of 94 for the season, tying for the most SBs in the minor leagues. Equally as important, he showed with his speed that he was one of the best defensive center fielders in the minors.

So for his first full season in pro ball, Scott opened lots of eyes and quickly became one of the top prospects in our system.

Shady
    Participant

Free

Nice synopsis on Scott’s development. Thanks.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I happened to read an article that quoted the Cardinal manager as saying that one of the reasons he’s impressed by Scott is the fact that, “He carries a notebook”…

bccran
    Participant

Thomas Saggese was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 5th round in 2020 out of Carlsbad High School, in Carlsbad, California. He lost that summer of development because of the pandemic, but started out in A ball the following year.

He spent all season at A ball in 2021 and slashed .257/.372/.463/.834 in 288 PAs. He showed some pop, hitting 10 home runs in 73 games.

In 2022, he spent most of his time at high A. In 98 games and 419 plate appearances, he slashed .308/.359/.487/.846. Hit 14 home runs, and drove in 61.

2023 saw him starting the season at
    AA Frisco, where in 93 games and 418 plate appearances he slashed
    .313/.370/.512/.892. His power continued, hitting 15 home runs and driving in 78 in those 93 games. Then came the trade to the Cardinals. The Cards assigned him to Springfield, where he slashed .331/.403/.662/1.064 in 33 games and 149 plate appearances. The Cards were so impressed that they promoted him to Memphis, where he struggled in 13 games. For the 2023 total season, though, he slashed .306/.374/.530/.903 in 139 games, with 630 plate appearances. He had 26 home runs and drove in 111. After the season, he was named the second baseman on the All Minor League All Star team. In other words, the best second baseman in all the minor leagues for all organizations.

Can he keep it up this coming season at AAA Memphis? If he can, he’ll be one of the most exciting prospects in the Cardinals system.

Shady
    Participant

Free

Again, good info on a fine prospect. I assure you I follow the top prospects closely, too.

BOCfan
    Participant

Free

Great breakdown Cranny. Feel like he has earned the job. If he goes north, runs with it, they can figure out something for TE when he comes back.

Like others, I believe he needs to play everyday for a move to the MLB to make sense developmentally.

I HOPE the team doesn’t hold him back to manipulate service time. Don’t sense that’s an angle they employ.

bccran
    Participant

Okay, Shady. Your turn. Please give us a writeup on Prieto, who you’re also high on. Will look forward to it. Thanks very much in advance!

Tommy Herrs Perm Mullet
    Participant

Free

i laugh whenever you “two” have to keep giving the full description of your “friend” as the “red sox scout”. you would think after all the times you “two” have brought “him” up, it would be obvious to whom you’re referring to between “yourselves” without the qualifier. even more laugh inducing is that this “friend” always seem to share both of your opinions on every player you constantly discuss. what does he say specifically? please tell us in the interest of “baseball discussion”.

bccran
    Participant

Okay, Shady, can’t wait any longer.

Prieto was a member of a talented Cuban team. As an infielder and hitter, he was considered one of the best in Cuba. When he was playing in 2021 in Florida, he walked away and defected.

In January, 2022 he signed a contract with the Orioles for $650,000 as an international free agent. That season he split his time between high A and AA, and slashed .273/.314/.404/.718 with 11 home runs and 57 RBI in 115 games.

In 2023, he started out in AA where in 58 games he slashed .364/.406.476/.882. The Orioles promoted him to AAA where in 27 games he slashed .317/.365/.471/.836. He then found out that he had been traded to the Cardinals. The Cardinals assigned him right away to Memphis, where in 38 games, he cooled off a bit to .270/.314/.387/.701. For the full season, in 123 games and 540 PAs, he slashed .323/.367/.446/.813. Had 10 home runs and 69 RBI. The 24 year old played games at 3 infield positions – 2B, 3B, and SS.

The left handed hitting Prieto looks like a versatile Donovan clone. If he hits a little better at Memphis this coming season, he could be a nice utility player for the Cards going forward.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Tommy Herrs Perm Mullet –
    Your post borders on taunting. You use quotation marks when none are needed and implies you think other posters are being less than truthful.

That is against board policy.

I’m sure you can figure out how to post civilly.

t8ball12
    Blocked

Free

How do you quote someone’s excessive use of a word without using quotation marks? I see “Bold” is an option in my formatting, perhaps that’s allowed? I don’t see it in the rules, but I see it as a function.

I just realized I used quotes on the word BOLD. Bullying wasn’t an intention. Just merely trying to guess my way through the moving goal posts in rules.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

t8ball12, your first and only post on this thread is not to discuss the topic at hand, but instead to interject your opinion on the site rules, again. Please keep your views to yourself – unless they are about Cardinals baseball. That is a good way to maintain your posting privileges here.

Shady
    Participant

Free

I believe a an Astros’ announcer said Saggese reminded him of DJ LeMahieu. That’s a high praise comp.

Albert de Morcerf
    Participant

Free

Interesting discussion.

Obviously, everyone knows that Scott is exceptionally fast as well as a top-notch defensive prospect in CF.

But, what do we really know about the other two? Will their minor league hitting abilities translate to MLB? Are they still developing power or do they look to be big league slap hitters? Can they run? Can they field? What are their arms like? Why did their former teams give up on them?

I’m not an expert on the mines like so many here, so I’d love some answers. Will Saggese & Prieto be difference makers in the majors or are they projected to be simply journeymen-types?

Thanks for your consideration everyone.

Shady
    Participant

Free

bccran gave some good info on both Saggese and Prieto earlier in this thread. Both have been impressive hitters in the minors.

Albert de Morcerf
    Participant

Free

But Mr Shade, the info given is more a recap as to what they’ve done. I’m asking about their overall skills as well as how it projects to MLB?

Again, do they run well. Do they have strong arms? Do they project to hit for any power? Do they have high ceilings? Why did their former teams give up on them?

I can look up their stats. Im trying to ascertain if they’ll be key contributors or journeymen subs?

Shady
    Participant

Free

Sorry, I don’t have a crystal ball to project them as future MLB players. From what I’ve seen, they both look like legit hitters. Have you watched them in spring training? If so, what are your impressions of them?

Albert de Morcerf
    Participant

Free

I’m not asking for a crystal ball. I simply want to know about their tools and how they will project to mlb.

My apologies as I thought you stated earlier that you follow these prospects closely. I’ve admitted I do not, Mr Shady and was hoping that since you follow them closely that you could provide some additional insight that the box score does not.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them play. I follow the MLB club. Maybe someone else knows more than we do as neither you or I seem to know anything.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years