Rosenthal injured

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Rosenthal injured

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Trevor Rosenthal is at the airport and flying back to St. Louis for additional medical tests. I’m told #STLCards roster move “likely” today,” says Jen Langosch.

https://twitter.com/LangoschMLB/status/898204595721306116

Participant

Montgomery?

Participant

Free

That is to bad he has been money and a key part of the teams big winning streak …. really to bad as well as he was pitching

Participant

Hello Tommy John.

Participant

Free

If it’s a serious injury, then he is likely not getting tendered a contract for 2018.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by AvatarPadsFS.
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That will free nearly $10 million in payroll but leave us without a closer. Also increases chance of Seigrest returning. Not sure that is a good thing.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently Luke Weaver is rejoining the team but the roles have not been clarified.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I honestly hope he’s okay. Nobody wants to see anybody injured.

But, having said that, we have two relievers that should only be in the game if we are ahead or behind by the score of 10-1 in the 8th.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It sure was nice while he was effective. I want him healthy, and back in the bullpen. Second highest average fastball speed in the majors, and lots of outs, when he’s on his game. All of his fans are pulling for him, for sure.

Participant

The Cards will probably get creative. Wacha to closer?
    Weaver to set up Oh? Bring Mayers up? Bring Gant up?
    Artie Reyes?

Participant

I hope Weaver replaces Leake in the rotation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Lame. Still. He was throwing 95. im hoping this is just something that needs a couple weeks.

Montgomery would make sense if we are going to give him a shot in September.

Weaver is up already but it makes me wonder if he is more up to shadow Waino tonight.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy

Participant

…. we have two relievers that should only be in the game if we are ahead or behind by the score of 10-1 in the 8th.

I have shown you in the past how Rosenthal is one of the best relievers the Cardinals have ever had. I see that instead of listening to facts, you are going to constantly troll about him just like you have done in the past with several other players. Pathetic

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

BEST RELIEVERS THE CARDINALS HAVE EVER HAD???

YGTBSM???

A million times he has come in and been totally ineffective. At times he’s gotten the job done by a whisker and at times he’s blown it for us. No consistency at all. Nobody, if looking at the complete picture, can deny that he’s an accident waiting to happen.

Participant

People shouldn’t be too overly enamored with their own analyses, Forsch. It leads to an unnecessary defensive attitude, and resultant confrontation when questioned.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat, you get something in your head and you won’t listen to reason. The numbers are there. Rosenthal is one of the best. You fondly remember the good times of Sutter, Smith, etc. but you don’t remember the bad times. They were equally ineffective and sometimes get the job done by a whisker.

Participant

Paid - Annual

BC, I can’t help it that you won’t back your analysis. It does lead me to question your motives for always questioning others’ analysis without responding to their counters.

Participant

Okay. I would start by saying that good closers don’t get behind on batters and walk themselves into trouble.

As a major leaguer, Rosenthal has walked 143 batters in 325 innings pitched. Take a look at his WHIPs over the past 4 years.

2014 – 1.41
    2015 – 1.27
    2016 – 1.91
    2017 – 1.20

Those aren’t the numbers of a great closer.

Participant

Paid - Annual

And yet he has converted 86% of his save opportunities. That is better than any 1 year of Sutter’s tenure in St. Louis. Rosenthal has blown less than 4 saves a year on average over the last 4 years. Sutter averaged over 8 blown saves a year with the Cardinals.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And Rosenthal has almost blown a million other saves. He’s escaped by a whisker a million times. Stats don’t tell the entire story here in any way, shape, or form.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

One thing to consider on the Sutter comparison, is that closers were used differently when he pitched. Sutter averaged roughly 1.5 IP per appearance while with us, whereas today closers are almost strictly one inning pitchers, with an occasional 4-out appearance.

Essentially Sutter went 2 innings every other appearance. That would tend to increase the standard deviation of his outings – in other words, chances are greater for him to get the blown save, or a win or loss rather than a save.

Rosenthal’s W-L record was 8-20 coming in to 2017. If you look at Sutter’s W-L with us, he had many more times being the pitcher of record; 26-30 in four seasons in St. Louis.

Sutter was +8 over Rosenthal in W-L, and had to get more outs per save than Trevor. Not that this data in and of itself makes Sutter a more reliable closer than Rosenthal, but it presents a more complete picture in comparing the two.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting points, Mike. I have wondered what Sutter’s numbers would have looked like had he pitched in today’s game.

Participant

Free

Ratsbuddy

And Rosenthal has almost blown a million other saves. He’s escaped by a whisker a million times. Stats don’t tell the entire story here in any way, shape, or form

MILLIONS forsch31 MILLIONS!!

Participant

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In case folks missed today’s news, Rosenthal is heading off to get a second opinion before any announcement.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years