Restructuring MiLB

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Restructuring MiLB

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 484 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

oh 14nyquist ill always love the game. doesn’t mean I have to be a fan of the mlb side of it.

1982 willie
    Participant

well Manfred said one of the reason is because of signing players that don’t have a realistic chance to make it to the big leagues. that’s a joke. he shouldn’t be anywhere near in charge of the game. baseball is supposed to be a game of dreams. maybe a lot of those guys don’t make the big show. they still got farther than a lot of people and that is something money cant buy. that is what baseball should be selling. and what about those few guys that might slip through the cracks. they don’t matter. quit chasing the nfl and nba. be satisfied in your zone.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those interested in the contraction subject, this is a good read.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Thanks for that link Brian. I have one question regarding this quote from the article:

<Losing the anti-trust exemption leads to some very real-world consequences for Major League Baseball.>

What would be some of the consequences? It seems the anti-trust exemption is what is keeping minor leaguers as nothing more than low paid interns.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

BHC, you and I disagree on a lot of things but I really need to thank you for that long posting of Nov 20 regarding the proposal to cut 42 MiLB teams. Took a lot of work on your part and I for one appreciate it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The implications of the antitrust exemption are widespread – compensation, franchise relocation, and much more. This is the second in a series of articles that go into this in a lot of detail. The link to part 1 is at the top of part 2.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/baseballs-antitrust-exemption-its-uncertain-scope/

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Thank you MM3

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I just went back and read BHCs 11/20 post again and notice that 3 entire leagues are eliminated and that is 26 of those teams. State College and Johnson City are the Cards teams in two of those leagues. A few other leagues are crippled by losing two or three teams.. The more I read about this the madder I get but, just like politics, there isn’t much I can do other than raise hell with some Congress person or two.

I used to watch a lot of Southern Association games as a kid in New Orleans and I can still name all those teams and their nicknames. Sadly the Chattanooga Lookouts were one of them. The Memphis Chicks live on via the Redbirds. Mobile Bears, Birmingham Barons, New Orleans Pelicans, Atlanta Crackers, Nashville Vols were also in the league. The New Orleans team lost their stadium (which was really a rickety old joint) to motel construction so they moved into the high school foot ball stadium that seated 26,000. Left field was like the Monster at Boston but right field was quite a jaunt but since it was a football field it was probably not more than 350 or so. Thanks for allowing me to remember ‘back in the day.’

Just need to add that the old New Orleans stadium that was torn down was a true ‘knothole’ stadium. There were holes in the outfield fence as big around as your arm and every one had a kid behind it watching the games. I remember seeing a lot of big names there such as Stan Musial and Red Schoendist when the Cards played exhibition games. Also remember the Pirates exhibition game there. Funny how as you get old you can remember 75 years ago but not 75 minutes……LOL

14NyquisT
    Participant

Mn3. I like your memories of the baseball past.

Here is another take on the situation:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/11/26/sanders-slams-mlb-over-contraction-everything-to-do-with-greed/

I fear losing the draft rounds and moving the draft back two months. I don’t know all of the financial implications but the local fans stand to lose the most. This is fandom that MLB probably needs to expand interest in the game. Something like our bud Minuteman.

When I read these articles I look for any arguments against contraction

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<14NT wrote: I don’t know all of the financial implications but the local fans stand to lose the most. This is fandom that MLB probably needs to expand interest in the game. >

I am in that same boat. When you eliminate the minor league teams you eliminate a lot of fan interest as well as the interest of a lot of youngsters who live at those minor league games – not only the MiLB ones but independent leagues as well. Somewhere I read a comment that MLB just wants to flush a lot of young kids who don’t have a chance at making it. So what? You never know until you try and a lot of today’s stars came through the late rounds of the draft. If they feel it so necessary to cut the number of minor league players, then cut the draft rounds and let the teams conduct workouts to youngsters interested in playing in the minor leagues and who were not drafted.

Good discussion here. I hope we can continue it. Brian, is there any thought that we could get together some sort of petition of TCN readers to send to MLB regarding this topic? Just a thought of how we could not be the silent majority and squeak the wheel a bit.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Here’s a Fangraphs article that really lays out how eliminating all of these MiLB makes it difficult for fans to attend a professional game in person.

Take Me Out to the Ballgame? Mapping the New MiLB Landscape

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

MLB needs only to note the rise in fan interest and as a result the media coverage that the minor leagues has experienced over the last 20 years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB’s answer for these towns is to create new independent teams. The part that remains very sketchy is… you guessed it… the money. My suspicion is that MLB wants the local owners to pay everything, adding player and coach costs to their current expenses running their team. This will not work financially.

I had a Twitter exchange about this with national writer Maury Brown the other day. He apparently supports MLB’s proposal.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here where I live, I remember having a team in the NY-Penn League as a child, 20 minutes away. They eventually became one of those independent league teams which is fine to go to once a year but doesn’t hold much other interest. With this new proposal, the closest team will be in Buffalo, over an hour and a half drive away (Erie is a bit over an hour but would be contracted) and Central PA and NY would become a waste land. I believe only Altoona, Scranton, Buffalo and Rochester would have teams then and a lot of people would be 2+ hours from a minor league team.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I found this article that was published before the milb downsizing announcement. But given who the author talked to my guess is he knew what was coming but was prevented from publishing it.

Do We Even Need Minor League Baseball?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lol I love how MLB is now all of a sudden worried about the dreams of the minor league players.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Why does MLB think that they have an obligation to make sure that local governments spend their money prudently?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

My hometown in Springfield hasn’t had minor league baseball in 20+ years. Sucks that I can’t go to a game while I visit. Closest minor league team to me is Lake Elsinore.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

That can’t be Springfield, Missouri home of the Cardinals AA team. Lots of Springfields in the US. Care to give us a clue which one?

14NyquisT
    Participant

How can Manfred get that pile so high?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

THe only other Springfield’s I’m aware that had MiLB teams are Springfield, IL and Springfield, OH.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well at least Manfred didn’t cave to some political candidate. That’s all we would need is for politics to get into baseball…………oh wait……they are the ones who passed SAPA aren’t they. And who else will the MiLB owner have to go to other than their local and state politicans. But MLB is putting out some pretty weak arguments when anybody can read what they are really after…..$$$$$$.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

MLB has their Political Action Committee lol. Politics hqve been in basedall since day 1

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I am understanding this proposal correctly it is not stating that these 42 milb teams would automatically cease to exist but that they would no longer be a MLB affiliate. I know that some people feel that no longer being an affiliate will lead to no longer existing, but is that 100% guaranteed? I mean there are already independent minor league teams in existence right? Who pays those players?

So basically the current owners of the proposed 42 teams subject to non-affiliation would have to come up with the money to pay the players and keep the team going. Maybe some of them will be able to pull it off and the local communities will be able to continue to enjoy their team.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 484 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.