Playoff Rotation/Roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Playoff Rotation/Roster

This topic contains 93 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    BrockLou
    Participant

Free

I don’t think the Cards can afford to play this straight up, especially if we eventually play the Dodgers. They won 106 games, 15 more than us!
    I just don’t see Bader hitting much. He got sent down, had a good run in AAA, then came back up and had a good run for a couple of weeks. Now he’s back to hitting Medoza line stats. I suppose they could start him, then pinch hit with runners in scoring position, or a runer on 3rd with less than two outs.

Likewise the starting pitching. I like the way they pulled Dakota after five scoreless innings, even though we eventually lost.
    As far as relief pitching, you have a lot of days off in the postseason, we need a quick hook if someone has nothing on the ball.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just in case folks missed it, Shildt said the following:

Wong will be starting in Game 1.
    Flaherty will be the Game 2 starting pitcher.
    Hudson will be available out of the pen for both games in Atlanta and will start later in the series.
    Full roster will be announced Thursday morning.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For those who are doubting Arozarena, here are 3 stops to consider (2017 was his first in the Cardinals system):

2017 – Palm Beach – 295 PAs. .275/.333/.472/.805. 18% K%, 4.4% BB%
    2018 – Springfield – 102 PAs. .396/.455/.681/1.137. 24.5% K%, 5.9% BB%
    2019 – Memphis – 283 PAs. .358/.435/.593/1.028. 17% K%, 8.5% BB%

For comparison:
    Edman
    2017 – Peoria – 174 PAs. .284/.347/.439/.786. 10.9% K%, 8.6% BB%.
    2017 – Springfield – 239 PAs. .247/.298/.347/.645. 14.2% K%, 6.7% BB%.
    2018 – Springfield – 498 PAs. .299/.350/.403/.753. 15.3% K%, 7.0% BB%.
    2019 – Memphis – 218 PAs. .305/.356/.513/.869. 15.1% K%, 6.9% BB%.
    2019 – St. Louis – 349 PAs. .304/.350/.500/.850. 17.5%, 4.6% BB%.

Bader
    2015 – Peoria – 228 PAs. .301/.364/.505/.869. 19.3% K%, 6.6 BB%.
    2016 – Springfield – 356 PAs. .283/.351/.497/.848. 26.1% K%, 7.0% BB%.
    2017 – Memphis – 479 PAs. .283/.347/.469/.816. 24.6% K%, 7.1% BB%.
    2018 – St. Louis – 427 PAs. .264/.334/.422/.756. 29.3% K%, 7.3% BB%.
    2019 – St. Louis – 406 PAs. .205/.314/.366/.680. 28.8% K%, 11.3% BB%.

Arozarena deserved the opportunity to show what he could do when he was with the MLB team in the regular season. If he got that opportunity, we wouldn’t now be debating whether or not he should be playing for Bader.

Also, Arozarena kills LH pitching.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I think arozarena will get some shots, just don’t know what they will be. I don’t see him starting game one cause he hasn’t started any games lately with the exception of that game after the super long game. I don’t think throwing him in the fire is the right thing to do plus it would leave shildt open to a lot of criticism if randy went out there and made an error and really struggled at the plate. staying with bader at least through game one gives shildt some leeway to sit him if he struggles. really it may be for naught. bader could go 4 for 4 and if our middle struggles like they have lately, he wont even score or get an rbi.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Arozarena will not start even though I think he wouldn’t do any worse than Bader offensively. I do expect that he will be a major factor next year if the Cardinals don’t re-sign Ozuna or trade for an OF.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OPS vs. LHP this season:

Carpenter .680
    Bader .640 (He used to punish LHP in the minors, too)

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well arozarena might not do any worse offensively but if your regular guy struggles the manager gets less questions, but if you suddenly throw someone in who hasn’t played much and he struggles. its gonna come up. now if bader struggles and shildt replaces him in second or third game, then the coach is gonna get more leeway if in this case, arozarena struggles in his start. I do think he is gonna get a big look next year for a bench role unless hes traded. I do think some players will be moving on this off season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fair point, Willie, as Shildt stays with his guys. But do not assume the decision is just Bader vs. Arozarena. What I have said all along is that I expect Carpenter to play over Bader, with Edman to right and Fowler to center.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well that is possible but I and others have already mentioned that possibility and it could be likely. but my discussion with bader in my previous comment was based on carpenter not starting. now as far as carpenter goes. to me theres about a straws worth of difference between carpenter and bader far as hitting goes at this point and time. definitely an edge goes to carp but not by a lot. but defensively and base running wise, it isn’t even close. crap is a veteran and has experienced this type of atmosphere so I could understand it. but to me he hasn’t earned it this season and we are talking about here and now not yesterday. plus with that experience, carp would be a great asset off the bench late in the game. in fact I think him and wieters are our only real threats far as pinch hitting goes. Martinez and munoz haven’t been great recently. my leanings always go with defense and speed if its a factor. playoff games tend to be hard fought close affairs which brings to mind carps value late as a pinch hitter and also ball caught vs otherwise not or a base taken vs otherwise not. but these are the decisions managers have to make and either way it could go wrong. we will find out tomorrow.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena hit . 252 at AA in 2017 between A and AA total he hit .266
    2018 between AA and AAA he hit .274 total.AAA in 2018 he hit .232
    Try reading all the stats.
    Nothing special until his freak season this year.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bw52, if you want to look at things that way, then Edman should not have deserved a shot this year, either. He performed poorly when promoted in previous years, just like Arozarena. This year is the only year that Edman didn’t have something lacking when he played, just like Randy.

What you seen to refuse to look at is that almost every prospect performs poorly somewhere along their steps of development. I have looked at ALL his figures. He was highly regarded when we signed him. One thing I will not do is basically write him of because of half a season of poor numbers just because he was aggressively promoted. If I do, then the Cardinals might as well release Gorman, right now.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Leone did not travel with the team to Atlanta, so is clearly not on the roster.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Only new surprise for me is Ponce on, Fernandez off. Guess they wanted the long man, after all, as stlcard25 suggested.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Poncedeleon? O`neill not on? Poncedeleon rarely sees the field the last month but he is on the roster and TO rarely sees the field except PH and he gets left off? Gant left off also…?SMH.Arozarena?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch- I certainly am not writing him off.I just don`t see what all the slobberfest is about him and his 20 pls ABS.Why is that so hard to understand?
    I question his place over some other guys (ONeill or even Andrew Knizner and using Wieters switch-hitting bat off the bench).Likely Molina will play every inning and Wieters will be wasted because Schildt wont use Wieters because only catcher after Molina.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar Bw52.
    GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Arozarena is someone to be excited about.

LouBrockFan
    LouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

Bader’s defense in center is too important to not use him there.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just like Adolis Garcia?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least Cards went 13 position players instead of 900 freaking pitchers

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arezorena performed well both offensively and defensively during his brief stay in the major leagues this season. That after a breakout year at Memphis.

The problem, however is that young inexperienced players very often but not always tend to try to do too much, particularly in high stress situations. In doing so they often have difficulty.

Rather than an outlier this is probably a breakout year for him. Players who improve as they move up the system are usually legitimate prospects.

Should be quite a spring training with Bader, Thomas, O’Neill, Arozarena and Carlson and even Garcia vying for one or two starting outfield positions. Of course one or more of them could go in trades before then.

It would be a big gamble to start Arozarena in the playoffs, particularly in game one.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only surprise to me is Cabrera. I guess Shildt felt that he needed another left handed option with the trouble that Miller had the last week.

O’Neill has been an automatic strikeout since his injury.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just like Adolis Garcia?

Very different players, IMO. Garcia is more of a pure slugger who has never had much plate discipline. Randy has had a fairly good batting eye for his career but without the prodigious power. Garcia probably never sees the field again in St Louis and Arozarena could be a starting OF next year. Why is it so bad to give a guy who is a part of your future plans and who played well all year a shot at being on the playoff roster?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two different ways of looking at experience. Despite not playing in October for three years…

But, there are a lot of new guys, too…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years