Playoff Rotation/Roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Playoff Rotation/Roster

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hmm. Should be interesting to see how he’s used. Maybe Shildt will start Randy in the infield and Edman in the outfield. 😂 (Randy did play the infield in Cuba, right?)

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Arozarena on the roster surprises me, although I’ll like it if they use him in a meaningful way. Maybe Mo & Shildt see pinch running as a key factor in the series. 😉

Participant

Free

Arozarena on the roster is surprising, but a good one. Instead of Fowler hitting in the leadoff spot, what if going with Edman/Wong or Wong/Edman in the 1 and 2 spots to get on and cause some damage with their speed.

At some point Goldy and Ozuna have to start hitting right? If not, I’m afraid October baseball will be over quickly for us Cards fans.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My first thought when seeing the Randy news is that Wong may not be ready. But even if he is, having not played for a week could leave him rusty.

Bottom line, we know Shildt is not a lineup tinkerer and he surely isn’t going to start experimenting now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Last call for top-50 prospects round 9.

Participant

Free

I kind of figured that it might be ONeil who is out for this series as he hasn’t shown my batting power lately.

But on second thought, without Wacha, you have an extra slot if you choose not to take another reliever – hence, Randy Aroz.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena will be the catalyst in one of the Card’s wins. Put him in coach. He’s ready to go.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards Spanish play by play radio man discloses that Cabrera has also made the LDS roster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tough but good decisions being made…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

In a game thread a week or two ago I said Gant had played his way off the postseason roster for me. I didn’t believe it would really happen, but felt like there was not a high leverage situation where he could be trusted. Glad to see the Cards making the right move on this one for now.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think they carry 12 pitchers.

Participant

Free

I agree, Euro. I didn’t think he should make it, but I’m shocked they made that call.

Participant

Free

well I get these statistics thrown at me showing bader having a lower batting average vs lefties than carpenter this year. I understand the point but I was trying to think along with shildt who during the cubs series talked about sitting bader but there was a left hander on the mound so he went with bader. so theres that. me personally, im starting bader because of his defense but im a defense first type of guy unless we are talking a huge difference offensively. now shildt may go with carpenter but if you needed a pinch hit later in the game, who would you rather have available, carpenter or bader. carpenter with his experience is more capable of doing something in a one time situation than bader is in my opinion. if bader is on the bench, his real asset would be late game defense. like I said, id rather have bader the whole way because early runs due to weak defense can beat you same as late ones. now if we were down later in the game, if bader is struggling, pinch hit with randy. that would make sense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The infatuation over Arozarena and his 6 MLB hits is amazing.He was a .270 hitter until his freak year this season and this was his 2nd time around in AAA.He might prove to be okay in the future but what has he done to be playoff roster worthy ?

LouBrockFanLouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

In the small MLB sample size, Randy is hitting .300 with a slugging % of .500 and OPS of .891

And he has a cool name. Arozarena… as far as I can tell he’s the first one in MLB history with that name.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by LouBrockFanLouBrockFan.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty finished 1st in the NL in two major categories: WHIP and AVR.

He was 4th in ERA and 6th in Ks. Great season for the MLB Pitcher of the Month in both August and September.

His Game Scores by month:
    Apr. 53.2
    May. 57.0
    Jun. 46.6
    Jul. 61.0
    Aug. 71.3
    Sep. 77.8

Participant

Free

“The infatuation over Arozarena and his 6 MLB hits is amazing.He was a .270 hitter until his freak year this season and this was his 2nd time around in AAA.He might prove to be okay in the future but what has he done to be playoff roster worthy?”

I won’t speak for others, but for me it is simply a question of if Arozarena can be more productive than Bader. I don’t know the answer to that given the very small sample size, but it is certainly a calculated risk I would happily take.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ortawasout-i will take Baders defense and the chance he might hit instead of thinking a rookie with 20 ABs will be productive.bader has been productive in the past.Arozarena is raw and still untested.I will stick will Bader.Not worth the risk IMO.

Participant

Free

I understand that opinion as well. Let’s hope whoever is in there can have a positive impact! I have a feeling DeJong is about to heat up. Hopefully these few days off are just what he needed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree.Whoever is playing needs to jump on the Braves early and often.Got to give the SPs some breathing room and not have to have to rely on the BP to save their ass every game.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The infatuation over Arozarena and his 6 MLB hits is amazing.He was a .270 hitter until his freak year this season and this was his 2nd time around in AAA.He might prove to be okay in the future but what has he done to be playoff roster worthy ?

Arozarena’s wRC+ by split season (over 100 PA at each stop):

134 (A+), 115 (AA), 211 (AA), 81 (AAA), 162 (AA), 151 (AAA)

It’s a bit disingenuous to act like this year was some huge outlier when he’s really only had one below average stop while playing at AA in his second full season in the US.

I’m not saying he’s for sure better than Bader or that he should start this postseason (I don’t think he should), but the MiLB results have been very good and I hope he gets a real shot in spring training. Bader is elite with the glove but if he can’t be at least very close to average with the bat or better, he shouldn’t have a lock on the starting CF spot.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I consider the fact that he improved in his second shot at AAA highly positive.

Looking at his stats, age, and experience there is a case to be made for Arozarena to be a top 100 prospect

Was his 2B defense that bad? I would love for him to get another shot there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO Arozarena had not dazzled anyone until his freak year this season.Do you really think his normal will be this season or his previous career? I remain skeptical.If he works out thats great.More options for the Cards and I would have no problem at all seeing him,ONeill,Thomas,Bader in the OF next season with Carlson developing at AAA.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Maybe so maybe not…Carlson may start in Memphis but like Edman maybe in St. Louis by June.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years