Pham Traded

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Bader…but i think they hand ONeill the starting CCF job…his power is undeniable and Bader seems more a defensive replacement at this point with his bat…i liek him a lot but if i am hoping for a bat to help the lineup ONeill’s seems much better at this point and has more potential impact
    Still.. id like to see more Bader AND ONiell with Fowler sitting more…or gone

Cleveland traded for Leonys MArtin so maybe they are done with OF need…but i wonder if Fowler for free and losing a lower level prospect might entice them?

bccran
    Participant

Pham was addition by subtraction. The interview he did for a national magazine throwing the Cardinals organization under the bus publically was his ticket out of town. He was not good to have in the clubhouse.

NJ315
    Participant

and they thought it would never happen…I agree with bccran on Pham.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham is a good player, but with the quality of our depth in the OF someone had to go…

the commitment in money to Fowler
    and
    the commitment of the spent prospects to Ozuna

meant they weren’t going anywhere…without a fair return…

(i still cross my fingers for Fowler as i want at least one thing to be solid out of an OF and Fowler seems to be lacking at offense and defense)

Had Pham been Pham like none of his talk woudl have been a big deal at all..but we need openings in the OF for youngsters to get chances…and unless the trio is performing well we cant just trade off that depth of talent

I think Pham will do well in TB

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, the Saxon tweet that was posted said the tension between Pham and the front office never has cooled.

Still though, you have to be real careful when dealing a guy for non-production reasons. Sometimes it is necessary I suppose, but you can get burned pretty bad in doing that.

I think of the Cardinals and Dodgers with Richie/Dick Allen. The Dodgers did okay, getting Tommy John in their deal. We got Ted Sizemore, who was a competent second baseman for a few years and worked well hitting behind Brock, but Allen was a game-changer.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

O’Neil is more of a corner OF guy than a true CF though Bader needs to play ever day as does Oneil for that matter, just sit Fowler

NJ315
    Participant

Justin Williams our new #9 prospect and Genesis Cabrera #14

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just read Keith Law’s article over at ESPN. He thinks we got good value from Tampa. We shall see I guess.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think ONeill is a fine CFer…definitely if we are using him to supplant losing Pham’s potential offense…IF we are talking not sitting Fowler more

I think Oneill can handle CF just fine…Bader’s bat just isnt as scary as ONeill’s and if someone is going to be striking out a lot idd rather it be ONeill as the times when he doesnt strike out he is hitting for big power

Bader is a better fielder, Oneill is a better hitter…Bader runs better but not as much as one woudl think with ONeills physique

I go with Oneill to start and bring Bader in to defend later and pinch run…Oneill off the bench didnt really work before…Bader at his best is a decent hitter and star CFer…Oneill at his best is a star hitter and good CFer…id give priority to ONeill at the moment if i have to choose…i dont want to choose as i want to sit FOwler more…

i am more concerned about our IF defense than our OF defense right now anyways

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

WHile I agree Bader’s bat isn’t as scary as Oneil, his defense is tons better than Oneil in CF!

Bader needs to be our starting everday CF period his defense is just so much fun to watch.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really didn’t get any exciting prospects in Pham deal. They are young though. Good thingn for O’Neills playing time.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

unless Fowler sits I dont see how ONeill will be playing unless he plays CF…and it doesnt seem like Fowler is sitting much

also IMO his CF defense looks pretty solid from watching him at MEmphis this year

as for the Pham deal prospects…i dunno they look pretty solid to me…i like that lefty power arm…

with the other trades we have really bulked up our LH depth and our RP depth in general

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Bader is one of the best defensive CF in the league this year that is where he should be starting.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree…but i question the value of bring up Oneill if he isnt going to play because you are putting BAder in CF all the time

unless you sit Fowler just leave Oneill in Memphis and call up Wisdom or Ravelo and let Munoz be the 4th OF as he is pretty good out there

Oneill is the best chance we have in the system for an impact bat that is ready to play
    BAder is an impact glove…but we gave up Pham’s potential impact bat to clear space…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader will start and I believe his OPS will be in the .600s by the end of the season.

O’Neill should start in right, but he won’t get to. I’d like to at least see him give Ozuna a breather in LF and two starts a week in RF over Fowler.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oneill will split time with Bader in CF and I believe his HR power will help protect Ozuna

best chance i think we have for more PT for them both is for a full on 3 player part time schedule with Fowler

ala how we got Ludwick all his PT back in the day

If Oneill isnt playing every other day then it is worthless for him to be up IMO

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ONeill needs to play regular.Fowler can be the backup guy.With 4 OFs and using your best options Ozuna LF,Bader CF,ONeill RF Fowler backup.It would be dumb to bring up O`Neill and sit him only giving him a couple of starts a week and Pinch-hitting.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler is entrenched in RF for the rest of the year, I’m afraid. Unless they put him in CF sometimes which would probably make Dexter happy. I guess in the end I wouldn’t hate it if that was the solution, but it’d be a lot better if Dex hit like the 2nd half of 2017 when he carried the offense.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

You know how much the front office loves players who lash out and create a scene in the media. If he would’ve backed up those words in SI with his play on the field they may have kept him but he didn’t and the FO sent him packing.

I knew something was brewing last night when they didn’t start him. Was on my mind the whole night watching Bader fail at the plate.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25-I hope you are wrong about Fowler entrenched in RF.If he is that just means the contract talks more than hope for the future.It is after all still a business .

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25-I hope you are wrong about Fowler entrenched in RF.If he is that just means the contract talks more than hope for the future.It is after all still a business .

I think that they’re hoping and praying for him to turn around and offer value either in a trade or for the future. I don’t think he really will be more than a 1.5+/- 0.5 war player going forward but if someone else will take him without us paying massive $$ to make him go away, maybe that works for us.

PadsFS
    Participant

philcron77

Ouch I was expecting a better return especially with what Duvall just went for.

The players that went to the Reds were multi-year up-and-down Quad-A guys that had high prospect status years ago. We already have plenty of players like that.

PadsFS
    Participant

stlcard25

I don’t care for Saxon but if this is true, it’s a bit comical.

As Cras references here, the tension never really abated between Tommy and the front office. Recently he asked for an expensive piece of exercise equipment and became unhappy when the team didn’t provide it. Many small clashes, I’m told by source. TB has been on him a long time.
    — Mark Saxon (@markasaxon) July 31, 2018

I don’t I believe anything he says personally.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think there is some truth to that PAds… though i also wonder if they just got promoted to quickly and need a fresh start…i think they will be decent but i just dont see the Reds in need of those guys unless they project them to be future relief aces if they are considering moving Iglesias lorenzen Hernandez and Hughees

I thought the Reds did ok with their return…my issue was that i feel they continue to do the same trades like that…getting these middling SPs…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

that is typical of several people on the board, they don’t like what somebody posts or rights about so they just choose not to believe it even when true

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.