Pham Traded

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

to Rays for 2 minor league guys

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

for – Justin Williams, Genesis Cabrera and Roel Ramirez

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes.Now bring up O`Neill and give him a real chance.Smart move.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bw52 will be overjoyed.

The return is the #14, 25 and an unranked prospect, according to MLB pipeline.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Shows how Pham had little to no trade Value as WIlliams is best get and he isn’t even top 10 in rays system

philcron77
    Participant

Free

Ouch I was expecting a better return especially with what Duvall just went for.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

WEll phil got to remember who our GM’s are that are making this deal 🙂

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Williams .258/.313/.376 in AAA this season

Cabrera 7-6, 4.12 ERA 124 K/57 BB in 113.2 innings at AA this season

Ramirez 3-1, 2.53 ERA 60 K/17 BB in 53.1 innings between A+ and AA this year.

Seems like a depth OF, tweener starter/reliever lefty depending on command and a full on relief arm. Not a wonderful return but it probably was time for Tommy to move on. We’ll always have 2017 I guess.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

That is the level of players MO has loaded the big club with at this time. I am glad he is gone as this gives the opportunity to finding someone that can produce.

NJ315
    Participant

Bye Mr. Pham

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really a good gamble for the Rays. He’s been hitting the ball hard this year but without much luck, similar to Carpenter. I could see him being not quite 2017 good but a guy capable of being a very adept LF/RF for Tampa (with Kiermaier in CF, although his offense has cratered this year) with something like a .280/.375/.475 line that would be very valuable for them.

Our starting CF is now Harrison Bader. I wouldn’t have guessed that two years ago. We’ll get what we have…a .250/.300/.400ish hitter with very good defense.

ILcardfan
    Participant

Free

Pham was easily replaceable, so I like this deal. Getting something for him rather than let him walk for nothing later on.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Time for Bader to show if he can play at the Major League level.

However, just another band-aid move by the front office to claim they did something. Watching the trade ticker it is again another frustrating trade deadline with little to be done to either try and win this year or start building for the future.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I understand trading Pham and I guess we have to wait and see on the return. They can’t be done though there is much more to be done in the coming few hours.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great trade.Justin Williams Lefty hitting OF .Its not like the system is loaded with them.He had a cup of coffee with TB a couple of weeks ago.22 years old.
    Geniusis Cabrera LHP live-armed LP at AA throws in the 90`s with high 97.Just 21 years old at AA.
    Roel Ramirez 23 year RHP AA and A+ this year.Looks like a middle inning guy.

25- Not overjoyed.Just glad he is gone and the Cards got some guys who could help in the future.Maybe this was the best for all parties.Pham can start fresh in TB and Cards get more young blood.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Well, the Cardinals added a left-handed bat and a left-handed reliever to the system, and they unclogged the outfield logjam a little bit. So I guess that is progress.

I look forward to seeing what Bader and O’Neill can do with more playing time.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Colhusker…I think it’s more a manifesto on just how little the guys we’ve been clamoring to trade are worth. The Cards just traded an average to above average OFer with three years of control for probably a left handed reliever. The other two guys are throw ins and I’m not sure why the Cards wanted Williams at all other than that he’s left handed. He’s on the 40 man and the Cardinals already have about 6 outfielders that project better than him in Bader, O’Neill, Mercado, Garcia, Arozarena and Thomas just at the highest levels.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25- Not overjoyed.Just glad he is gone and the Cards got some guys who could help in the future.Maybe this was the best for all parties.Pham can start fresh in TB and Cards get more young blood.

I agree in that it was best for Pham to go. The return we got tells me that the Cardinals badly wanted him gone. I don’t think we’ll get much if any value from the guys we got although the lefty might slot in the bullpen by next year. We’ll see if the clubhouse really improves and just how much of a distraction Pham was. Best of luck to him in Tampa.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

At least we tried to fill some needs (LHP, LH outfielder). The quality I am not sure about. Pham has struggled since April. But given his work ethic, I am confident he will turn it around next year. I would have waited it out.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like all three players we got will need to be protected by this offseason. But there’s also some potential, per a Rays fan:

It does help eliminate some of our logjam this offseason, trading away a couple of guys who would have been Rule 5 eligible this offseason and likely would not have been protected. I think it’s a fairly steep price (the Cardinals got three guys who should all be legit major leaguers and possibly more than role players), but I think this deal was also about getting value out of some prospects that we otherwise might have lost for nothing.

The need to put on the 40 makes me like this trade even less. It makes me think that the Cards saw Pham as a non-tender option this offseason.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t care for Saxon but if this is true, it’s a bit comical.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t have a problem with trading Pham but the return we received is indicative of how other teams value our position players, which is very low.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have been trading major league players for minor leaguers but I still don’t see us as sellers until we trade a player like Carp or Ozuna or Wacha or Martinez. It is more like addition by subtraction; Hoping that Hudson, Gomber or Ponce contributes more than Tui or O’Neil, Mercado or Bader produces more than Pham. Since we haven’t picked up a key starting player yet I don’t see us as a buyer as well.

Who is responsible for scouting the players in the minors that we have been picking up? Is the major league scouting organization or the draft scouting group or are they the same?

I would withhold judgment on the trades until I have some feel for the skill of the scouts. Still a 22 year old who has played in the majors is intriguing regardless of his ranking by the Rays organization.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham finally stayed healthy long enough to create some trade value, so Mo cashed in for what he could get. Necessary.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I said a couple of weeks ago that trading low was not where the club should go. I preferred a stand-pat approach for now, then look at where things are after the season. But obviously management feels otherwise, and got what they could for Pham. Pham is a lot better player than he has shown this year, and it won’t surprise me to see him finish strong, and possibly have a better 2019 than any outfielder on our roster.

Bader is a complete unknown. He has struggled making contact of late. He had that 4-K game last week in fact. He does bring great defense at a position you want to have that, but he has some of the Randal Grichuk look to him so we will see if he can get through that and start to make an impact on offense.

If the club is intent on making changes, then they need to be looking to move JMartinez. I would think he could bring more than Pham, with the ability to use him at first and DH.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.