New starting catcher

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum New starting catcher

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kelly to DL with hamstring injury, per Goold. Baron to be promoted. Pena in the drivers’ seat.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So much for Kelly’s big chance to prove himself.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s disgusting. Thank goodness there is a lot of depth in the upper levels of the system but catcher is not the place most of it resides.

Participant

Free

So who gets dropped off the 40 man when Reyes returns or what other 40 man guy hits the 60 day DL?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes won’t be back before Kelly’s DL stint is over, so once Kelly is back I’m sure Baron will be free to be dropped for Reyes.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t get the love of Baron. I think Knizner should have been promoted to AAA when Molina was injured, and called to the bigs when Kelly was placed on the DL. We could use Knizners bat.

Participant

Paid - Annual

By putting Wainwright on the 60 Day DL I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him again until the rosters expand in September. They could give him a few cameos out of the bullpen to say goodbye to the fans.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Knizner to AAA now?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Knizner to Memphis is confirmed. We had it earlier today on the members board.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Knizner has passed Kelly in my mind. Kelly has regressed and Knizner has surged. If Knizner is average defensively, with his bat being a huge plus. He also looked pretty good at first in spring training.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

Knizner to Memphis

Participant

Paid - Annual

Before Annoiting Knizner lets see him at AAA and lets see his defense get better.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wish the Pirates were 10+ games off the pace. Would love to pry Francisco Cervelli from them. What a fantastic fill-in he would be for both Yadi and Martinez over at 1st.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Lucroy might be available but with Yadi back within three weeks or so the Cards will probably stand pat.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I think I have to agree with Cards27. Knizner has supplanted Kelly.

However Kelly’s injury creates a very interesting situation. Kelly didn’t hit that well in Memphis when he was there and I think the Cards waited in promoting Knizner because they didn’t want him showing up Kelly at the plate. Now that they had their hands forced it’ll be interesting seeing how this plays out.

Participant

Free

I think I’m kinda surprised Martinez didn’t get the call. His bat has struggled, but what I saw of him defensively he is good. He has Tony Cruz career written all over him. Maybe they call upon Baron now, DFA him upon Kelly return, and still have Martinez not on the 40 man. I had high Hope’s for Kelly and wasn’t ready to say Knizner was the future mainly because defense of more important to me at catcher and Kelly is clearly better there, but Kelly is giving Knizner every opportunity to close the gap.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Knizner AAA debut; 6 stolen bases while he was catching and 1 error on a throw.Not all SBs are the catcher fault but still had to be humbling experience for him.Maybe he can get over the debut jitters and settle down.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Or maybe that is why he wasn’t promoted when Kelly went up.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The real question is what happened? What changed? Knizner threw out more than 40% last year. He also was off to a slow start this year with Springfield. Whatever it is, the word is out, so they had better fix it, pronto.

Participant

Knizner didn’t have a good night behind the plate. In a mild defense of him: Colo Sprgs. 1st in the PCL in steals with 59 (14 CS). The #2 team has 36 (12 CS). The 16th team in steals has 16.

He should get some more chances to throw out runners… 3 more games with Colo Sprgs. this weekend and another four next weekend. Just his luck. A wise sage once said: when waves are driving your life under… learn how to surf.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As Brian stated Knizner was having defense issues in AA.The kid has the tools but looks like the learning curve got a lot steeper .I hope he can get straightened out.I still like Kelly better as a defensive catcher and hope Kelly can hit a bit.Right now Knizner seems like a hitter who catches instead of a Catcher who can hit.Actually there is a place for bothh guys.Knizner also can play 1B some and his play looks like it could play anywhere.Just tossing this out there for next season ;Molina starting Catcher,Kelly Backing up Molina and Knizner as 3rd Catcher-1B backup-RH bench bat etc;.Just thinking outloud.

Participant

Some ideas on what Kiz dreamed about last night. The trip from Tulsa to Col.Sprgs, his first AAA game, his first AAA hit, the six swipes, his first AAA error, meeting some of his new teammates and coaches or a sampling of a complex, confusing, active and memorable day.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Kelly has to be extremely disappointed. His career has stalled a lot in the last year or so. But often, those highly touted guys will come around and be good players once they can stay in the lineup for an extended time. He still might be our catcher of the future.

Meanwhile it sounds like Knizner is a good candidate for tutelage under Yadi. Although the running game is not used like it once was, he still will need to show he can at least be reasonably proficient and keeping base runners honest if he is going to play the position at the top level.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years