New starting catcher

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum New starting catcher

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sherriff to 60day DL and Reyes is now an option too id think

but Yadi is going to be catching unless he goes on the DL

Knizner coming up at any point might be a decent idea but he wont catch but maybe once a week, unless we are bring him up to play 1b i dont see the point in bringing him up with Pena and Kelly both being plenty of depth for backup catching duties

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m sure we will have three catchers on the big league roster in September and I’m assuming the third catcher will be Kelly unless he is traded beforehand.

As for 2019 and 2020 it appears that Knizer is on track to start moving up the pecking order if he is going to take over in 2021 but as we all know a lot of these plans are written with a pencil not a pen. There could be injuries, trades, etc…. Also, what if Yadi changes his mind and decides not to retire after 2020?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Earlier I had asked what happens if Kelly and Knizner are both healthy and at Memphis at the same time. I guess we found out it is the artificially holding Knizner back thing mentioned by Brian. With Baron now at Memphis, it would make more sense to have Knizner there where playing at AAA level would push his game forward. What harm would come from putting Kelly at Springfield since at this point he is not going to gain anything from being at Memphis.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Knizner can hit but defense? Knizner can play everyday at AA.Kelly needs to play most of the time at AAA.Easy solution.Why the love for Knizner who obviously needs defensive work daily? He obviously is behind Kelly in the defensive /game calling department so until he improves he still seems to be behind Kelly.End of story .

Participant

Catching defensive can be taught and learned. With some more experience behind the plate Knizner will be fine. He’s a hard worker and a smart ballplayer… two attributes missing in a lot of farm hands. Don’t forget… a catcher with offensive skills is a big plus these days.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The only thing I figure is the Cardinals are thinking if Kelly is demoted to AA it will destroy what trade value he has left because it would give the perception that the organization had given up on him. I’m sure they would like to see him restore some trade value with a good performance at AAA before the deadline or this offseason.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Mo thinks he can get something for Kelly.

Participant

The FO has butchered the catching situation so far, and I believe it will get worse as the values of our catching prospects will go down significantly. All of this related to the Molina 3-year contract that should have been two years AT THE MOST.

Dr. Michael Miles’ of REDBIRD RANTS analysis of the Carson Kelly affair.

https://redbirdrants.com/2018/06/09/st-louis-cardinals-carson-kelly-drop/

Participant

Paid - Annual

Miles is full of crap.Molina is one head shot from another concussion and Pena has proven to be what he is.A organizational guy who can’t throw runners out and is best suited as 3rd catcher/bench/guy.Kelly is hitting okay at AAA and I think he will eventually hit a little when he gets regular time.Kelly’s defense is better than Pena and Knizner.Kelly will be a better option when Molina gets hurt again.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The article seems spot on to me. Basically he said that Kelly once had high value, then lost value due to his weak hitting, but still has time to reclaim said value with regular work at AAA. How is that analysis wrong?

Weak hitting catchers with a decent glove aren’t that rare. If Kelly ever wants to truly be regarded as a top prospect again or a starting MLB catcher he will have to hit eventually.

Participant

Free

Miles is right. Kelly’s value is dropping as I write. He’s just another over rated prospect in the Cardinals system. The Cardinals need to be sellers at the deadline. Kelly, Wong, frying pan handsMartinez, potty mouth Pham, Fowler, Cecil, Gregorsen, Holland, Gyorko should all go. Some because they suck like Fowler and Cecil, some because they’re jerks like Pham and some because they could bring something in return. Martinez Gyorko and Pham are in that category. F you Tommy qualifies in two categories. Yay for F you Tommy. Bring up the kids and let them learn this year and next. Maybe in 2020 the Cardinals would be ready for a playoff run. They will never go all in during the off season and the only other workable alternative is to go for a youth movement. Blow it up and start over. If they continue to use band-aids and slugs every year we’ll never rise above mediocre.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Sorry if this is too pedantic, but Miles really ought to learn what the Mendoza Line is and how to spell Knizner.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years