New MLB Rules Changes

Home › The Cardinal Nation Forums › Open Forum › New MLB Rules Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #212544
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

    Free

    Nathan wrote:

    I remember baseball from the sixties when it was “real” baseball. All of these changes are turning the game into s_ _t. Next will be multi-ball.

    Nathan,
    I’ve used the same term about the NBA, and just about the NCAA game as well. The NBA is nothing but sh~t basketball. And before long big league baseball is going to just about be like WWE.

    My gosh people, what is going on nowadays???????

    #212546
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    All of the rules changes are motivated by one of two things. Either more money and profit for the minimum effort and expense, or enhancing the data collection process and the purity of the data to facilitate computer generated optimization of everything, eliminating anything subjective or random and the human element as much as possible.

    #212549
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    So analytics are the cause of the rules changes? Oh, boy…

    #212552
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I want to see automated balls and strikes. We have the technology. No more individual strike zones for each umpire; no more inconsistency.

    Umpire is given the call and can still make the hand motion and keep the count.

    It happens instantly so will not slow the game down.

    #212562
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

    Free

    Im not a fan of the ghost runner but my god some of these posts aboutthe sky falling, etc is just too much. The players voted for these changes because it effects them. It only goes into effect in extra innings, which is just extra baseball.

    #212565
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    Yeah, but it reduces the amount of extra baseball, BHC. They’re essentially cutting back on our bonus money…Haha!

    #213154
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #213522
    1982 willie
    Participant

    Saw where scherzer was trying to screw around with the pitch clock thing to mess up hitters. Just bull rap. This is definitely one of the reasons I didn’t want the pitch clock. Hitters are the ones most being affected by it. I like it when the games move faster but pitchers already have a big advantage over hitters, they don’t need more. It’s like the rule changes in NFL that make it where it’s almost impossible to tackle a quarter back without breaking a rule. Just stop it. It’s getting harder n harder to be a fan anymore unless you are a casual fan

    #213668
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Read in Goold’s chat that the rule change limiting the pitcher’s pick off attempts will increase pickoff throws to first by the catcher, since there is no limit on that. He mentioned that when Lester was with Chicago, he didn’t want to throw to first, so Contreras helped devise strategies to control the running game without pitcher throws to first. I guess that will be an increasingly important part of a catcher’s game.

    #213749
    1982 willie
    Participant

    My question on the catcher throwing to first trying to pick off runner. When does pitch clock for next pitch start in that case.

    #213751
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    I’d say it starts once the pitcher receives the baseball, but the fact that it even poses a question illustrates that all these new rules only complicate and confuse the beauty of what was designed to be a simple and easily understood game. Pitch.com.org is by no means my favorite flavor…

    #213758
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    There are usually unintended consequences with changes and there will always be clever individuals who will think up ways to manipulate and twist the wording to bypass the spirit and intent of a rule.

    #215354
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #215357
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    I despise the pitch clock and the limited checks on the baserunner, but those bigger bases have entirely transformed every game into genuine, edge of your seat, nail biters…Whoever came up with that idea should get an oven mitt.

    #215361
    Jnevel
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I still hate the shift ban.

    I like the bigger bases – but wow, that may have a huge impact based on the numbers above. Fast guys may be the next big thing. Just get on base and singles can become triples. This honestly could change the game a lot.

    I didn’t really like the pitch clock or the throw over limitations initially, but it’s growing on me a bit. I certainly do appreciate the tempo adjustment to the game. Of course I didn’t like the DH much either and I’ve now accepted it and maybe even embraced it a bit.

    #215362
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    I don’t like any of the new rules or the DH in the NL, Jnevel. I’d like to think that my views make me seem smart, but the reality is that I’m…old. And a little grumpy…Haha!

    #215365
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I love the shift ban and it needs to be enforced even tougher with some of these outfield gimmicks we are seeing.

    I don’t really like the idea of a pitch clock but I do like the faster tempo so I guess you can’t have one without the other.

    I am ambivalent about the larger bases and limited pick off attempts but if they are leading to more steals then I am for them. Bring back the 80’s Whiteyball!

    #215368
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

    Free

    I like the bigger bases – but wow, that may have a huge impact based on the numbers above.

    Even if those numbers stick, I’m skeptical the larger bases are the primary reason for the increase in steals and the higher success rate. I’m thinking the timer/pickoff/step off limits play a bigger role. The distance between 1B-2B and 2B-3B is shortened by just two-fifths of 1% due to the larger bases. It’ll be interesting to see how teams evolve to all this during the season.

    #215370
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    It’s most definitely related to the limited checks. Once the limit’s reached, there’s almost nothing for the baserunner to fear. In essence, the pace lap’s over and the throttle’s full bore.

    #215371
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

    Free

    It’s funny how we long-time fans are all over the place with which new rules we like/don’t like.

    Not really sure yet, but I think I somewhat will grow to like the pitch clock and pickoff/step off limits. It may need tweaking though.

    I don’t like rules that dictate defensive positioning other than you gotta have a pitcher on the rubber and a catcher behind the plate to protect the ump, (well, maybe).

    Don’t need bigger bases, but think it’s not a big deal or impact. I thought this one started out as a safety initiative to avoid collisions at 1B. That seemed like a good idea where they would extend a bigger 1B bag into foul territory so the runner could land there instead of possibly colliding with the first baseman. Could really help on the infield hits where a runner has to stay in the runner’s lane in foul territory until the last second to veer left so he can land on the bag.

    And oh yeah, never wanted the NL to adopt the DH.

    #215372
    1toughdominican
    Participant

    Free

    I can hear him now…”If Rickey would have been playing now, Rickey’d have a 100 by the break”…And I don’t doubt he would!

    #215377
    Jedi34
    Participant

    Free

    I really like the changes. But, i have to admit as I’ve gotten older, my attention span has been reduced tremendously. The shorter games and what i feel is a faster pace are much more enjoyable to me. I even found myself getting impatient with the Jays innumerable pitching changes, but that’s more a reflection on me than the game. Admittedly, when i used to go to games with friends, the pace and length of games didn’t bother me because we could break down what was happening in the lulls in the action.

    #215388
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I like the changes, too, especially the additional highlight reel pays that are being made because there has to be only two infielders on each side of second base when the pitch is thrown. Also, all this scoring makes it more fun. The only thing I’m not quite used to yet is all those bloop hits that are happening because the infielders all have to have a toe on the dirt when the pitch is thrown. I know the batters are loving it, and so are the fans as long as it’s their team that’s getting the bloop hit.

    #215621
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

    Free

    How much will teams lose in concession Sales due tô faster games?

    #240149
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    Changes coming for 2024:

    The MLB Competition Committee approved a reduction of time allowed between pitches with runners on base from 20 seconds to 18 seasons. MLB claimed pitchers began their deliveries with an average of 7.3 seconds remaining on the 20-second clock in 2023. Pitchers will still be allowed to step off the rubber and reset the timer up to twice without penalty.

    Allotted mound visits for each team are reduced from five to four per game. An extra mound visit will be awarded in the ninth inning if the team on defense has no mound visits remaining at the end of the eighth inning.

    The pitch timer will restart after a dead ball when the pitcher has the ball and play is ready to resume. The pitcher will not be required to be on the mound for the timer to start.

    A pitcher who warms up on the field between innings must face at least one batter (in addition to requirements necessary to meet the three-batter minimum rule). MLB cited 24 instances in 2023 when a pitcher warmed up between innings and was replaced before he threw a pitch. It happened twice during the World Series. MLB said those instances added approximately three minutes of “dead time.”

    The runner’s lane to first base is widened to include the dirt between the foul line and the infield grass. The distance between the foul line and the infield grass will be between 18 and 24 inches in all ballparks.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years