New MLB Rules Changes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum New MLB Rules Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The players disagree, for reasons that are unclear, but they cannot stop the train.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bigger bases apparently did not lead to an increase in steals as hoped, so they call it a matter of safety. Not sure I get that. Not sure I care a lot, either.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m gonna disagree with the players on this one. The pitch clock and shift ban made so much sense. Both will mean more action in a condensed period of time, which is a great thing. The bigger bases should mean more stolen bases and steal attempts. These are great things.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A guess is that the players may have wanted something else in return for their yes votes.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Pitch clocks…make believe baserunners in extras…All these silly rules to get it over with as soon as possible? How about this, Rob? Two outs per half inning! That oughta’ compress the time fame. If you’re gonna be a bear, be a grizzly..

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t mind bigger bases though I don’t think it means anything. I also think banning the extreme shifts is good for the game. The pitch clock is just stupid. All it’s going to allow is for players to game the system. Just have to wait til clock is going low and take off cause pitcher will have to throw to plate. Sure they can anticipate that and not but then the player may not run. It’s stupid to have a pitch clock in general at least this short of one. It’s like the 24 second clock in the NBA, it’s ruined that sport. I think a thirty second one would be fine for MLB but 15 and 20, just stupid. How about MLB just keep killing their sport til there is nobody left to watch their games. I never watch NBA regular season games, just may ditch the MLB now. Just terrible

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Although I don’t at all like the IF shift, I think a manager and his staff should be allowed to position their defense however they choose. The IF shift is nothing new. It’s been deployed to varying patterns of consistency for over 100 years and I don’t feel a rule change is necessary to lessen it’s effect on a game. The key to making it disappear is to defeat it by placing the baseball into play in a manner that makes the opposition think twice about doing it again. However, hitters don’t seem to be willing to do that. The more the IF shift is subjected to being burned, the less you’ll see it set into place.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree 1982willie. Before long MLB will be about like the WWE with all it’s stupid crap. Sometimes I wonder who is running the show and if anybody has any common sense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am definitely in favor of banning the shift. The defensive shifts have hurt the game IMO. I am indifferent on the pitch clock and larger bases.

1982 willie
    Participant

Shifting has always been done, this is true. Moving a guy off or on the line, or playing more up the middle. But I’m sorry putting a guy in the outfield that is supposed to be an infielder is just wrong. I feel the same way about taking an outfielder and putting him on infield. I wonder if that is being targeted as well.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With all of the technology in place to measure distance, speed, launch angle, etc. I think it’s high time to implement the “5 Bagger Rule.” This rule allows for when a slugger such as Albert Pujols rips a mammoth, gargantuan tater which travels into the stratosphere in such a manner as the one he hit off Lidge in game 5 of the ’05 NLCS, that once he rounds the bases and steps on HP his team is credited with the run and he’s allowed to continue on to 1B so that he is a legal baserunner and can possibly be driven in to score another run by any ensuing hitters…The official scoring of this epic type HR will be termed a “5 Bagger.” That type of rule oughta’ put nore fans in the seats. Thank you…I’m Rob Manfred and here’s my address.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Dakota Hudson getting nervous with the incoming pitch clock.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I like the ban if shifts a lot. Pitch clock is fine, nobody likes a pitcher just kicking the dirt around up there. I don’t like the bigger bases. Watching some minor league games it looks goofy as heck, but whatever.
    How long before teams start moving the LF into shallow RF? Or put the 2B on the edge of the dirt where they shift to now and the LF in shallow right center? May be a big risk with no LF, but someone is going to come up with a stat to justify it.

coffee4closers
    Participant

Free

Ha! Yes a Hudson game can really drag!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hudson had to work under the pitch clock for Memphis this week and pitched his best game in a long time.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Exactly when does pitch clock start? When the batter is set in the box?

How about a rule that prevents the batter from stepping out of the box after every pitch? Only once per at bat and when they get brushed back / knocked down. Stepping out of the box after every pitch is a huge time waster.

Bigger bases? Ok, lol

Ban the shift? I suppose that means the ss has to stay on his ‘side’ of 2b as does the 2b? ss / 2b should still be able to play in line with the 2b bag, right? This is probably a good rule.

Is there a limit on how far in the outfield can play? Can you still bring then into the infield if you want to?

The runner on 2b in extra innings just needs to go away. I’d rather say three extra innings max and call it a tie – and I hate ties – instead of this rule. Or after 3 extra innings go to a homerun derby with each team pitching to itself? Or have a beer chugging contest? Or run around the bases backwards? Yeah, i really don’t like the free man on second rule, lol.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Notice that they did not limit the time between innings. I get fed up with three minutes of commercials while the players are loitering in the dugout. I believe there is a minimum change time in the minors but the bigs would have to give up commercial time to implement that.

Where is the data that says the fans are leaving the game because of the length.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

SoonerinNC…The ads on TV are bad enough, but it’s worse while attending games at the ballpark. Between innings you’re subjected to 3 or more minutes of hip-hop type music that’s amped up to the decibel level of a carrier flight deck.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

A direct quote from Hummel’s article by the Cardinal SS…”It makes no sense, personally. It’s not baseball.”

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Why not make ALL foul balls strikes.
    For that matter, if you want to speed things up, limit each batter to two strikes and three balls.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

1 out per inning.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

And it will make the ratio of play tô ads/breaks worse which I think Will not go over well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.