Wednesdays With Walton podcasts

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wednesdays With Walton podcasts

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 454 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We taped yesterday before the call up decisions were made…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW I was especially interested in the discussion of the catching situation (looking ahead to post Yadi 2023). I guess Herrera stalling out offensively in AA this year clouds the situation somewhat. You mentioned Rodriguez, who has been getting regular looks between catching and DHing since coming back. I’m guessing those two will be in Memphis next year. How do they compare defensively?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess Herrera stalling out offensively in AA this year clouds the situation somewhat

Herrera hasn’t stalled out. He’s been exactly league average (100 wRC+) as a barely 21 year old (1 month later and this is his age 20 season) at the most challenging position on the field. Maybe he won’t be ready next year but 2023 seems reasonable. If his defense is solid the Cards would be thrilled with an about league average hitter back there. I personally think due to age we can dream on a little more than that if he’s not corrupted by Albert.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cardinals’ player development staff are thinking along the same lines.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 said:

I personally think due to age we can dream on a little more than that if he’s not corrupted by Albert.

It is only a dream. Albert’s philosophies are being taught across the entire system. Minor league hitting coordinator Russ Steinhorn is an Albert protĂ©gĂ© and was hired when the old school coaches were “retired”. So it isn’t going to be as easy as just firing Albert.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bling asked:

How do they compare defensively?

You actually have the answer to this. Check the scouting reports in their respective 2021 prospect writeups.

Short answer is Rodriguez (55 grade). Herrera is 45.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d read Herrera’s along with the rest of the top prospect list guys. Just now looked up Rodriguez. It will be interesting to see them playing in AAA next year. Rodriguez may start AA due to the time missed, but with the new order guys can’t dawdle coming up any more. Herrera is supposed to have a considerable advantage in hit tool, but we will have to see if that pans out. He will have to outhit Rodriguez who has the edge defensively, it sounds like. I don’t think anyone saw that scenario on the horizon.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I listened to this week and I enjoyed it. One thing I noted that you talked about…Dakota Hudson is actually up to 57 pitches as a high and 5 IP in his last start. I’m surprised he hasn’t been activated as I’d think he’d be a great addition to the pen for the last few weeks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Hey Brian,

No show this week? Or is it just going to be a bit late?

Missed hearing all the news!

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 454 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years