Molina joining coaching staff? Descalso is in!

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Molina joining coaching staff? Descalso is in!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Taking care of the aging stars is admirable and shows respect for the game, but there is also a business aspect. Players nearing major career records and icon status put fans in the seats. Some fans might pay to see Molina the coach (or manager).

Back in the Walt days, the DeWitts brought in Luhnow to make major changes that those in place were resistant to. The owners were willing to endure several years of significant internal strife to make progress before addressing it.

My point in bringing this up is that they were not afraid of ruffling feathers of the incumbents to drive change. But would Yadi really be a change agent for the organization the magnitude of Luhnow or is it more of a feel good story?

The Cardinals have taken a lot of heat for hiring first time managers the last three times. This would be four. That Molina was a Hall of Fame catcher and managed some international teams is fine, but does that truly qualify him for what is a very diverse and complex job? And would he make the personal commitment needed?

IMO, these are legitimate questions that should be considered carefully beyond the allure of his star status.

KeepComingBack
    Participant

Free

I agree with you Bob. I’m not in favor of bringing him in as manager. I’m just in favor of bringing him in period. Maybe he is manager material, maybe he isn’t. But I wouldn’t not bring him in, in some role, because I’m worried about ruffling Olis feathers. And as far as keeping fading stars around, that’s just playing the long game. There’s a whole bigger group of fans than you and I that want to see these guys play no matter what.

blingboy
    Participant

Good points Brian. If the DeWits were willing to shake things up after a successful season, they might do it after a catasrophic season. We shouldn’t assume anything is off the table.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know if Yadi would be a good manager or not but he would definitely shake some things up. I don’t generally like rookie managers but he is different in that I think he understands every aspect of the on field game. I think Yadi’s biggest challenge would be taking direction from the spreadsheet department.

Bring him in as bench coach and let’s see what happens. Couldn’t be any worse than 2023.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see PBO, manager, or bench coach listed…..yet.

https://x.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1715528785263505586?s=46&t=bVuo6iGL777Dgfh0lg7B1w

ZTR
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stubby won a title at AAA didn’t he? He and Molina would have known each other for a long, long time.

I don’t know -maybe everyone loves Marmol and it’s no big deal but for me – I’d like to see some combination of Clapp, Oquendo, Molina, and an experienced well respected pitching coach in the dugout instead of what we now have.

Remember this about super stars becoming coaches – I’ve never seen it work. These guys were so elite and could physically do things very few could that they can’t relate to lesser mortals.

Michael Jordan was a lousy bb coach. Stan Musial on how to hit a curve ball: “Wait on it and knock the s**t out of it.”

Tom Brady would probably not be a great QB coach – the things he could do and reads he made im milliseconds simply cannot be coached….

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Add Bob Gibson the pitching coach, Ted Williams the manager, etc…

blingboy
    Participant

For Senior Applicaion Developer, a desired qualiication is: “have a strong interest in the game of baseball”. To save prospective applicants the trouble of googling it, it should read: “have a strong interest in the game of baseball, a bat-and-ball sport played between two teams of nine players each, taking turns batting and fielding”.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think catchers are uniquely qualified to be managers because they are kind of the field general and also have experience guiding a pitching staff. There have been some good ones through the years.

Yogi Berra
    Bob Brenly
    Joe Torre
    Bruce Bochy
    Mike Scioscia
    Joe Girardi

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Would a year or two managing in the minors be good for Yadi? Or is his ego too inflated to consider a short step down.

blingboy
    Participant

I would assign a zero percent chance of that happening.

blingboy
    Participant

This is a tweet from last year, concerning Yadi’s experience Managing a team in the Venesuelan League.

Blake Newberry
    @bt_newberry
    Yadier Molina has already been ejected 4 times this season and has now been fined and suspended for 2 games.

Lol never change Yadi
    Luis Nolla/550 KTRS
    @luisminolla17
    ·
    Nov 27, 2022
    Yadier Molina has been suspended and fined by the Venezuelan Baseball League. Molina, who is the manager of the Navegantes de Magallanes, is suspended for two games and fined $300 for being part of a November 19th incident against the Lions of Caracas. https://primerahora.com/deportes/beisbol/notas/suspenden-por-dos-partidos-a-yadier-molina-en-venezuela/
    5:53 PM · Nov 27, 2022

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…Like I mentioned, he may not pan out to be a great field manager, but it’ll be a lot of fun to see him try.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The only superstars who made good managers that come to mind are player-managers; Tris Speaker, Mickey Cochrane, Frank Frisch, Bill Terry.

Ted Williams did a remarkable job in his first year at Washington, but after that they went back to being the same old sorry ‘Nats.

If Molina is serious about managing, I think he would take a minor league job somewhere.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Everyone knows about Teddy, but Bill Terry could flat out hit as witnessed by a .341 career BA which is only 3 pct. pts. below Williams.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Having Molina in the ’24 dugout spells D I S A S T E R for so many obvious reasons….. one glaring.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There would be some risk involved but it wouldn’t be a bigger disaster than 2023 was.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Be careful what you (don’t) ask for… 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Goold’s chat today.

Asked for his thoughts on Molina possibility joining the staff…

That it is fraught with questions about role, time commitment, siding with the past as a route to the future, and messaging.

But no one seems to want to hear all that, they just want the warm sunshine of nostalgia.

Right move or not, there will be questions.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/professional/mlb/cardinals/goolds-chat-is-cardinals-ownership-ready-to-push-past-puke-point-and-spend-to-contend/article_0c712ec8-687e-11ee-8169-dfa6846e1035.html

blingboy
    Participant

Molina supposedly said this on a radio program yesterday:

“There is something cooking,” Molina said. “I have had various offers in the United States last year with (the Miami Marlins) and St. Louis. This year I have offers too. I think there is something cooking with St. Louis. There is a 90 percent chance that it happens. They are decisions that someone must take in the future. I see myself managing, coaching in the United States for a few years. I like it. I am a guy that is fascinated with baseball, and I am passionate about it. To have an opportunity like that I cannot pass.”

blingboy
    Participant
    blingboy
    Participant
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

KeepComingBack
    Participant

Free

I think whether or not Yadi ends up in St Louis doesn’t change the fact that Oli will have a real short leash next year if things go bad early. Shorter than it probably already is.

KeepComingBack
    Participant

Free
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years