Moises Gomez

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Moises Gomez

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals really don’t have dependable nos. 1 and 2 hitters. Edman is doing better in August than prior, but a .316 OBP this month (.319 for the season) isn’t good enough to be up front. “Mr. Strikeout” Gorman has a better August OBP, not that he should be hitting up there, either.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman has not hit second much, mostly lead-off and 9th. I don’t care about the recent numbers that IMO is his and the Cardinal’s best spot.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman provides very little to merit the #2 spot. You need a good hitter there, not a below average guy. His speed doesn’t make up for the awful OBP.

The Cards have actually gotten good production from the #2 spot this year. The OPS is .838, which is 18% above league average for the spot. Leadoff is the major black hole (.609, 25% below average). Edman has been worse higher in the order than lower. But he’s been better than most at the leadoff spot. Where are you, Brandon Nimmo? Haha

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman should bat # 2 IMO.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Antico can hit enough to be a big leaguer. He profiles as an excellent lead off man with his speed.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

He is hitting 6th today.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Carlso, O’Neill, Goldy, Arenado, Pujols, Edman, DeJong, Molina, Nootbaar

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard, I also posted his CAREER OBP that is very close to his recent results.

What numbers can you share to support your view? Making repeated strong statements can be more convincing to others if there is something to back it up.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I do not care if I convince anyone and I do not care what the numbers say. I am 73 years old and have played, coached and watched baseball all my life. Tommy Edman would bat second if I were making out the line-up.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s position in the lineup OBP for Edman this season –

1. – .325
    2. – .267
    3. –
    4. –
    5. –
    6. – .367
    7. – .214
    8. –
    9. – .306

Oliver
    Participant

Free

So he is at the correct spot today.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If Edman would bunt once in a awhile, and make an effort to do whatever it takes to get on base he would be great in a first or second line up spot. But he swings away at everything. Sometimes things go well and that works.

But when they are not, he does not have the power to just let it fly all the time, and still run into one to help the club even if he is not doing much else. He should lay it down now and then and give the defense something else to think about. His speed will beat those out now and then, plus bunting can help you get back on the ball when you swing away.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman has only batted second 4 times this year. No conclusion can be drawn from 4 appearances.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be concerned about backup shortstops in the near term until Winn is ready to start. And no way Gorman is moved the outfield. And we have team control of most of our young kids for 5 to 6 years. Plenty of time for an exceptional trade offer for pitching.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Gorman should be moved to a corner outfield and there is no reason not to do it.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

27, I Wonder if Antico’s rapid development made them more comfortable trading Bader?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The problem with Antico is he looks like a future platoon player. His split is not as awful as last year but its still awful enough. I would be interested to know if he is a mostly a pull hitter.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC, the Bader trade may have been a result of Anticos rapid rise through the system. Bling, i’d take Antico as a platoon player/late defensive guy/pinch runner. I think the importance of speed will increase next year with the larger bases. Anticos major issue would be the outfield prospects ahead of him. But he has an outstanding stolen base rate, and i would love to see him pinch run for a slower player late in games.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

GameCard, I could give an argument as to why Gorman should not be moved but you have already indicated that it doesn’t matter what anyone else says if it is counter to your belief.

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years