MLB projected roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB projected roster

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Moustakas cannot have a QO applied to him again by the Royals or anyone else.

It’s one and done.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mikolas’ service time is 1.037, so at the end of this deal, he would be at 3.037 and eligible for arbitration (or be non-tendered). At most, the Cards could offer a 20 percent pay cut.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB.com beat writer Joe Trezza’s Opening Day roster prediction is the same as the one I posted last week. Pretty straightforward.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/cards-counting-on-numbers-to-seal-bullpen/c-268553954

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I predicted the same roster on February 17.

February 17, 2018 at 1:57 pm in reply to: Can Luke Voit make the 25 man roster? #44070

gscottar

Participant
    Barring an injury, trade, or extreme performance in ST, there is no way Voit makes the team. As a matter of fact I don’t see many roster spots that are competetive.

There is a 95% chance the opening day roster (barring injury/trade) is:

1B Carp
    2B Wong
    SS DeJong
    3B Gyroko
    C Molina
    LF Ozuna
    CF Pham
    RF Fowler
    Bench Garcia
    Bench Kelly
    Bench J. Martinez
    Bench Bader
    SP C. Martinez
    SP Wacha
    SP Wainwright
    SP Weaver
    SP Mikolas
    RP Bowman
    RP Norris
    RP Leone
    RP Tuivailala
    RP Brebbia
    RP Gregerson
    RP Cecil
    RP Lyons

This reply w

February 17, 2018 at 2:06 pm #44074REPLY

Brian Walton

Keymaster
    At 95 percent certainty, you would give me 20 to 1 odds, then? I will bet a buck against your $20 that you are wrong.

First of all, they said they are likely going with seven relievers the first week. I keep saying it and no one seems to believe me. Further, Bader is not a sure thing. Other than that, we agree.

The 25th spot is the whole purpose of this thread. My guess is that Brebbia is temporarily optioned out in favor of Voit or Bader/O’Neill, with Voit the early leader based on his 2017.

>

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

SP C. Martinez
    SP Wacha
    SP Wainwright
    SP Weaver
    SP Mikolas

Man, that is a weak rotation. All righties, with Wainwright aging and coming off a season of only 23 starts and 123 innings. Mikolas has not pitched in the majors in what, 3 years or so? Weaver made 10 stars in 2017 and usually looked good, so hopefully he can continue to develop.

Over 300 starting innings are gone with Lynn and Leake out of the picture.

But on the bright side, you like having pitchers with names that start with “W”. 🙂

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike…
    well that and that we have Reyes and Flaherty waiting to make up for any deficiencies

Even if on paper it looks weak..the quality of depth we have is pretty impressive…not something the Cubs for example can say…should they lose Lester or Darvish

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, you guys are writing off Mikolas and Wainwright way to early. Also, Wacha and Weaver so far look like they have improved over last year, and both are having some success with the curveball this year.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’ve been a Cardinals fan for many, many years and have followed them very closely for the last 10 years. IMO, the rotation is suspect and I fear injuries to both Wainwright and Wacha. Mikolas is a mystery, and CMartinez has to prove to me that he is the stopper. I have confidence in Weaver and quite honestly would feel better with Flaherty being in the rotation right now. But he won’t be there until there is an injury or a breakdown. I would like to see what he can offer before he gets buried behind Reyes.

I have confidence in Flaherty. And once Reyes is back to 100% I’ll feel better about the rotation of CMart-Wacha-Weaver-Reyes-Flaherty. The team will need to add some of the other leading prospects and have them pitch for us long-term. As of now, after 2021 the well goes dry as far as top pitching prospects. So having the best of the crop advance to MLB for a number of years now, the team can survive the lapse of solid starters.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

how is the well dry in 2021?

There are so many more prospects already in the pipeline…2021 is what? 4 years from now…Flaherty and Weaver were both drafted in 2014..Reyes joined us at 18 in 2013……4 years and 5 with Reyes…and no one knew for sure on Weaver Flaherty or Reyes when they first came in..

not only do we have more prospects further down and even close…too many to name… but we have every draft and international signing period from now until then to find even more…and our track record is pretty darned good for finding guys pretty regularly

also…should Weaver Flaherty and Reyes pan out…to add to CMart…and even if we don’t re-sign Wacha.. how many guys do we really need in 2021? I dont bet but i think the Cards org could find another SP from their current and future farm/international in 4 yrs…to be able to slot into a #5/6-ish role

how many teams have “top” pitching prospects already aligned for 2021?

2021 is 4 years away… we have more projectable contributor prospects on the pitching side than most teams…it’s why they say our system is the envy of a lot of teams…

Seijas, Oviedo, Derian, Mendoza, Hudson, Hicks, Helsley, Woodford, Gomber, Jones, Moreno, Hernandez, OReilly, Latcham, SOto, Nicasio, Evans, etc etc etc and i am sure i have missed plenty…

If the well was dry in 2021 that would mean that we would have missed on everyone already in the system AND in every signing period AND in every draft and our last 15yrs or so has proven we dont tend to do that in one draft let alone 4 straight

14NyquisT
    Participant

With Pena getting a lot of chatter as Molina’s backup, that would mean Kelly going to AAA and Knizner going to AA to work on his defense.

Martinez’ bench spot seems secure so leaves two spots. GGarcia will get one and Munoz the other. Likely Voit and Bader get squeezed because the bench spots are limited.

So far the 5 starters have survived ST healthy. The 8-man pen is set with the only decision left is if Gregerson is ready to go. Mujica and Motte are there if not. There are several other options that will likely start out at AAA.

The Memphis roster will be loaded again. There will be a strong rotation no matter who the five are. The BP will have the STL 40-man BP exiles and those starters not included in the rotation, plus the additional signees. No trouble finding a group of seven there. I count 11 candidates.

It is looking more and more like Kelly will be at AAA with Baron, Voit, Ravelo, Mejia, Tovar, Wisdom and Edman at SS (with Munoz in STL). The OF will be the the meat of the order with the combination of Bader, JAGarcia, Mercado and O’Neill with Arozarena if O’Neill can’t go.

11 days to go before NYM. Things could still change.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Preface this by saying I DO NOT wish injury on anybody, especially someone like yadi

…but the best thing for the cardinal franchise would probably be if he got injured before the trading deadline this year.

Kelly wouldn’t give him the job back.

If that doesn’t happen, Kelly seems likely be dealt at the deadline for a major piece…. and we would regret it for a long ass time.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think if Gregerson cant go it is Myers or even Lucas before Motte and Mijuca as things stand right now. Why? Because neither Motte or Mujica have options. What if Gregerson is back in a week? You cant easily send Motte or Mujica back. Same thing if Reyes is ready in a month.

I would also argue that if healthy Schrock will be at AAA. Edmnan or someone else would drop down to AA.

NJ315
    Participant

Down goes Kelly.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Kudos to Mo for doing the right thing.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Should have traded Kelly this offseason while value was high they are going to make his value complete trash bu the time it is all said and done. The front office has no clue what they are doing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kelly going down is the smart move.

Brian, back to your hypothetical. Do you really think Yadi would sit on the bench the next two years at $20M/year?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I liek Kelly getting more playing time…i am still confused on who will be removed from the 40man though

Is there a scenario where Kelly gets more PT with the minors for the rest of ST and then still gets the backup job? Maybe sending him down was more to get him playing time right now in the minors games?seems too far off but i wonder…

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like Brian says in his article-Valera could be on the 40-man bubble.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Jag, they dont need to option Kelly to let him play in minor league games. CMart threw 100 pitches in a minor league game just yesterday.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Yes, I think yadi would sit if Kelly would get a chance.

Why? Because Kelly is/will br the better player soon if not already.

It’ll be something like 50/50 split in time (you know… like it should be right now) but yes…

The org sometimes makes it hard to get these young players started. But if they show they can play they generally don’t stop them.

Matheny is a whole other issue… and I don’t think he will be here past this year anyway.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC…youre right undoubtedly… however i wonder if he starts to hit this week that they dont recall him just so they dont have to lose someone else…

the idea of Reyes hitting the 60day DL IMO makes sense too as we seem flush with RP arms should any of the current ones falter…plus that faltering or failing to fill in for that falter in the first 2 months might be just what we need to do in making a final decision on who may need to leave the 40man

I feel bad for Valera right now though…i think he is the odd man out right now…

anyone think Valera would slip through to Memphis for us should we take him off?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You do know that Reyes is already throwing multiple innings in simulated games, right? Keeping him out until June would not be a wise move for a team that wants to win games – unless you believe Reyes is not one of their best 13 pitchers.

Yes, it is possible that the Cards could change their mind and reverse Kelly’s option before opening day, but it would probably require an injury to Molina or Pena. One side of me admires your doggedness to grasp onto even the remotest of possibilities.

On Valera, CC believes none of the other MLB teams would claim him. I do not know how set every one of those organizations are at his positions, so I am not nearly as sure about that. As we are seeing, the eighth reliever means the short bench is stronger when some of its members can play multiple positions, as does Valera. All it would take is one of 29 to claim him.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

But my real point is that we are much stronger up the middle than a year ago so losing Valera is not a big deal.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.