MLB announces pace of play changes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB announces pace of play changes

This topic contains 123 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 2 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 101 through 124 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suppose so. You just can’t have 5 guys standing between 1B and 2B which is ridiculous.

NJ315
    Participant

Ridiculous is not hitting the ball through all that open space.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Banning the shift would be akin to the NFL banning the blindside rush. Stop screwing with strategical moves. For those out there in support of the 3-batter minimum I bet you’ll change your tune when it starts costing the Cardinals wins (God forbid MLB ever adopts these changes).

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A good strategy is to try everything but the kitchen sink and then fall back to the few that might actually have value (he says hopefully).

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

For those who think.rule changes might cost us wins, isn’t just as likely to gain us just as many wins?

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I don’t personally care for the robot umpire. a strike is not as easy as the lines on a tennis court. im all for replays and getting stuff right but heck just go all the way and make the players androids and take all the humanity out of the game if you are gonna go that route. I also don’t like moving the mound back to 62.5 feet. its stupid. you want more balls in play, require the teams teach guys how to actually put the ball in play and reward players that actually do that. pushing the distance back is just going to mean even more injuries. also guys just rearing back and throwing their hardest all the time isn’t the best thing for them or the league. my opinion is that pitchers are like quarterbacks in this sense. qbs get protected because they really sell the nfl. yea people like the other guys but you have to have people that can get them the ball and they have the ball the most. pitchers have the ball the most in baseball. sure people like homeruns but they also like it when pitchers go out there and throwing a well pitched game over 7 innings or more. starting pitchers have been the stars in mlb right there with the other superstars, bigger a lot of the time. having a game where the bullpen is pitching more innings than the starters isn’t good for the game in my opinion.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

For those who think.rule changes might cost us wins, isn’t just as likely to gain us just as many wins?

Yeah, I don’t see how anyone can say a rule change will impact one team more than another. Everyone has to abide by the change, so the net impact on any given team will even out. Analysis has shown that the platoon advantage for short relievers is not near what it is perceived to be anyway. The best way to use your pitchers is quite simple – your best pitchers should pitch the most innings. Now of course the complicated part comes in when you have to determine whether or not your current pitcher is still better than an alternative. In other words, will Max Scherzer still be better in the 8th inning than a guy who is not as good overall, but good enough to be a little better than a somewhat tired Scherzer. Personally I think managers make too many pitching changes, and always think a new guy is better than the current guy, even when the current guy faced one batter and struck him out.

As for the shift, I am not in favor of banning it. I have been reading a Ted Williams biography, and of course Lou Boudreau concocted the same kind of shift we see today to try to neutralize Williams back in the 1940s. After first not giving in to the shift, Williams did work on driving the ball more to the left side, although he felt it diminished his power some and was not a big fan of adjusting away from his natural style.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the idea is to try make the game exciting so it will attract fans. Baseball is competing against other sports for viewers obviously. Most of us on this board would watch the game regardless but we aren’t the target audience. MLB is trying to keep the attention of the casual fan and the casual fan doesn’t want their star LH hitter have a .220 avg because he hits the ball into a wall of defenders on the RH side of the IF. We say the star LH hitter should try to hit to the opposite field but then that zaps his power and the casual fan wants to see HR’s also. See the dilemma.

The NBA has dealt with this over they years. They wanted more offense so they banned the zone defense. That then created too many isolation plays so they then modified the rules again. The pendulum swings back and forth.

NJ315
    Participant

I am all for compromise. If the shift rules are what you said. I am fine with it.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m not saying I’ll stop watching baseball but I’ve stopped watching other sports because of rule changes that alienated the fanbase. Its a fine line MLB has to work with. If MLB wanted to attract newer fans they could start with doing away with the archaic blackout policy. Its stupid.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I’ve seen the extra inning(after 9 innings in a tie) “man on 2B” used in the minors. Maybe compromise in MLB and start that change in the 13th inning. Teams have travel arrangements and the fans also have time constraints (many leave anyway). I like this rule and I hate the replay thing fiasco. In my mind, it kills the flow of the game worse than bringing in 3 relievers in a row. Let the umpire crew discuss challenged plays and make a quick decision and move the game along.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Some people in the MLB office need to be fired and obviously are not fans of baseball. These proposals and changes are beyond stupid.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here comes Manfred’s train…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those interested, here is the full text of the rule changes.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/milb-announces-pace-of-play-rules-for-2019/c-305774226

mspaid
    Participant

I wish they’d leave baseball alone. It used to be a great game. Eventually they will have multi-ball as the final death of the sport.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wish they’d leave baseball alone. It used to be a great game. Eventually they will have multi-ball as the final death of the sport.

With regards to some of the stupid stuff they are doing that is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to issues that probably aren’t really even issues at all, I pretty much agree with you here mspaid.

Before long major league baseball will be a joke like the WWE.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Will this be used by MLB to force more changes on the game?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

baseball has always been changing it’s rules as it goes. It was never “pure” and whatever version of baseball you think is best is a result of those changes. Fighting against the changes is important to make sure it is necessary but blindingly not wanting change is just ignorant and is in total denial that changes are a part of the game as much as sun rises and sets.

A few years ago people couldn’t fathom the idea of instant replay, and now we have those same people up in arms when a call doesn’t go their way when using or not using instant replay.

Even when the game was first being made it was played differently from city to city.

The simple fact that in the rulebook itself it accounts for discretion of the umpire at times when making calls for various reasons shows the fundamental pillar that baseball is based on changing of rules to account for the situations of the game. Whether that is in the lower case “g” game itself or in the larger sense of the upper case “G” Game it matters not.

Voice your opinions on the game, make your voice heard, but thinking there is EVER a time when the game was devoid of changing rules is going against the basics of the game itself

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

WHAT????????

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, those are certainly some interesting rule changes. It does seem to benefit the offense.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

So I guess that “steal first on any pitch not caught by the catcher” would be ruled a base on balls if the batter beats the throw? It basically becomes the same rule as the HBP, except there is a chance the batter could be thrown out. I assume that would be ruled A-C, PO-1B (most of the time).

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Why?

I fail to see how any of those will speed up the game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
Viewing 24 posts - 101 through 124 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years