MLB announces pace of play changes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB announces pace of play changes

Viewing 18 posts - 151 through 168 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I started seeing posts referring to a pick off rule change. Where can I find this. I went through this entire thread (2020) and haven’t seen any description of the rule yet.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

MM3, you need to open the Baseball America tweet Brian posted, then the pickoff article is linked there.

I’ll put the link here (link) for convenience.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Thanks ED for that link. I never saw that one coming but my initial impression is that there has been too much tinkering with the game lately. I am happy to see that this rule will probably only be in the low minors for now. But, it hardly seems a move to speed up the game at all. Instead it just jacks up the action a bit. I am one who thinks pitchers have too many rules put on them but whom am I to complain. Thanks again.

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t see this as a pace of play thing far as time goes. But part of the issue with some people has always been that baseball is too slow and doesn’t have enough action for the people taking meds out there. so the thinking is more action will mean more viewers even if the games are longer because of it. Kind of a throw everything but the kitchen sink at the problem method when included with other stuff they are doing. Like I said, I don’t mind it with this rule cause I feel lefties have always had way too much of an advantage. I also love base stealing and taking extra bases even if a team is doing it to the cardinals. Its a lot more fun to watch that than see guys staying put and waiting for the big hit.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

So when this comes into effect MLB will need to put an asterisk next to all the new base stealing records to indicate it was AC – after change.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Along with enforcing the step-out-of-the-box rule wouldn’t it be great for pace of play if they outlawed unsticking and resticking the velcro on batting gloves between each pitch?

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

TV is one of the reasons the game has slowed down. A lot of time devoted to commercials.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Manfred’s top deputy is leaving MLB. Among his accomplishments:

“He was a key figure in formulating MLB’s expansive postseason plan this year, and was instrumental in this year’s extra-inning rule to start the 10th inning with a runner on second base.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another innovative idea or blasphemy?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I don’t know if I like it after 9 innings, perhaps after 11 it would be a fine way to end the game. It’s not all that different than a hockey shootout.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I come down on the blasphemy side.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like garbage to me. I would take the runner on second before that.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yea I think that homerun derby thing is beyond stupid. How about we just play it straight.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Need a change for sure. Not in the game rules but in Commissioners.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

The home run derby to decide a game should NEVER come to the majors. That is beyond stupid.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They need to have something like the windmill hole in put put golf.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Resurrecting this thread as I came up with a “speed up the game” idea. It all stems from that blowout against the Dodgers the other night, where after the first inning I thought “the Cardinals should just mail this one in and save the team for tomorrow night”.

So it hit me with an idea on a tweak to the softball “10 run rule”. Maybe we do this: If a team is leading by 8 runs or more going in to their last at-bats (10 run or more lead for the visiting team), they can choose to forfeit their last half-inning of offense and go straight to the opponents final inning.

For example, in that Cardinal-Dodger game, after the top of the eighth inning finished, the Dodgers could chose to skip straight to the top of the ninth. The teams would still come in to the dugout after the top of the eighth, and managers can make pitching or defensive changes just like any other inning, but then the leading team would take the field again and finish off their beaten and battered foe in the final inning.

If the road team is ahead, it has to be at least a 10 run lead and they could forfeit their at bats in the top of the ninth and go straight to the last of the ninth. The reason for the 2 additional run cushion is that if by some miracle a home team gives up enough runs in the top of the ninth to tie or fall behind, they would still have their final half inning at bat to salvage an embarrassing loss. But if the road team falls apart in the bottom of the ninth and somehow gives up the lead, it is game over.

It would not impact too many games, but could shave some time off maybe 3 or 4 games a month league-wide. And anymore it seems the losing team in these kind of games has a position player pitching at that point, so why not save everyone some misery and just cut to the end.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

This is thinking outside the box. I have another idea: until the Cardinals demonstrate that they can field a better team, the commissioner can save time by forfeiting the game to our opponents. Of course all the commercials still have to be run for the sponsors, which I reckon would be less that 45 minutes.

Viewing 18 posts - 151 through 168 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years