MLB announces pace of play changes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB announces pace of play changes

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, we may be saying the same thing in a different way.

So far:
    MLB wants rule changes.
    Union counters with wanting DH.
    MLB says DH is a bigger deal financially than the rules changes (which seems true).
    MLB will hold the DH until the next CBA negotiations.

From here:
    MLB could institute only those rule changes that do not require Union approval (shorter commercial breaks, for example).
    Or the Union could come back with other (non-DH) changes they want, which MLB would agree to, enabling the Union to agree with some or all of the rules changes MLB wants.

NJ315
    Participant

Not having the DH in the NL is ridiculous. Get over yourselves NL owners and please stop being so stubborn. The only place in baseball where there is no DH is the NL. Very annoying.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ, you miss the point. The feeling seems to be that the owners will go along with universal DH – but only when they can negotiate what they feel is equal value of benefit from the players. The owners are not inclined to give on the issue without a return, hence the delay until the next CBA. Whether we like it or not, that seems to be how things are lined up.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is true. Pitch clocks, mound visits, commercial breaks, roster sizes, and length of DL (now IL) are areas where the two sides can probably find common ground if they want to.

The big elephants in the room are the DH, free agency rules, salary cap/floor, and tanking. There won’t be changes in those areas until the end of the CBA.

1982 willie
    Participant

hey brian Walton, I liked your piece on the negotiations. I too am glad they are talking. far as why people tend to support owners over players, people now tend to look down on unions as a whole. especially younger crowd, cause they are far from the days back when companies basically treated their employees like slaves or worse and a lot more people esp college graduates are in jobs that have never generally had unions. when you live up in the clouds, you tend to forget about those maybe on the hill. plus people overlook the fact that most of these players don’t get these big contracts. I personally hate the but I do think they will get it in cause just like you said, its being used as a bargaining chip. it just saddens me that the mlb seems to be trying to borrow from little league, pony league with these silly things. used to, it was the other way around. if they are gonna do that, just use the extra hiiter rule so you have free substitution so you lose less of your better hitters if you brings subs in for defense or just go all stupid and go like football, have an offensive lineup and a defensive lineup. positions don’t really matter to the casual fans of today anyway, so if you are gonna ruin the game, just do it all the way.

1982 willie
    Participant

I meant to say I personally hate the dh, don’t know why it took it out, could have been me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982willie, thank you for the compliment.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

As to the DH, no, no, no!

Furthermore, NO.

And finally, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

NJ made this comment which I’ve have thought about for some time.

Smart or not they better do something and quick to fix the game pace. As baby boomers die baseball will lose its biggest fan base.

Today’s game isn’t the same as it was when I truly started understanding the game (post teenage years).
    Mlb owners would be wise to protect their investment and go with whatever puts the most fans in the stadiums, or follow the game enough to watch the game or to go out and buy some paraphernalia associated with the game. I would say there is less talk about baseball in general, less interest, especially with younger folks. With all likelihood the game will be much different 25-30 years from now. Will anyone be watching? Who knows what type of technology will replace having any sports at all?

Geez, I feel bad about the younger people of today…. what a mess. But as things change the populous just is along for the ride and don’t know what they have missed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why, you ask? Because they can…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Beware of unintended consequencas. As I read it, the pitcher can wait to take the mound until he has received the sign. Or can stepoff the rubber and then receive the signs. Lots of room for gaming the system at this point.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Negotiations continue, which I consider a good thing.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26089271/mlb-prepared-ditch-clock-2022

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes it is a very good thing. I hope the two parties can peacefully resolve their issues.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Assisted”…what exactly does that mean?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like the “three batters” rule, as it does not reduce strategic decision-making, and will eliminate some pitching changes.

The assisted umpire thing should be interesting. I wonder when the tracking system will be allowed to over-ride the ump’s call?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wonder if there was any consideration given to changing the rule that third strike foul balls dont count as strikes/outs. This would cut significant time I would guess.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am very much in favor of banning the shift. I’m glad the Atlantic League will experiment with this. I hope this rule change pans out.

NJ315
    Participant

How are they going to ban the shift? First what constitutes a shift? Moving during a bunt? bringing the infield in? If my ss is to the right of 2nd base, can I move my 3rd baseman to SS position? Can I play my 2B just to left of second and move my 1b to the hole away from the line? Who makes the call and when? What are the guidelines that makes a shift illegal? Hit it where they ain’t problem solved. I should be able to position my players as I see fit.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is what the proposed rule for the Atlantic League states:

“Require two infielders to be on each side of second base when a pitch is released (if not, the ball is dead and the umpire shall call a ball).”

NJ315
    Participant

So they are controlling the shifts. I can still put my ss next to second and my 3b close to him. Or the other way around for a righty.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.