Mets are a mess

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mets are a mess

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“The industry isn’t very profitable, to be honest,” DeWitt said…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some positive from the proposed change. Though there is bound to be some turnover when Cohen takes over. He already announced Sandy Alderson will be back to run baseball ops.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Mets could become more dangerous with proper ownership. The Wilpons were a joke. Maybe Cohen is what they need.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cohen’s bank account balance just dropped by almost $2.5 billion. NYC’s mayor unsuccessfully tried to stop the sale. Is the honeymoon already over before it started? 😉

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be fair about my honeymoon remark above, it seems like Cohen has wide support among the Mets fan base. Moves like these can only help.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An owner soliciting fan input?

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s an easy question to answer. He just needs to spend whatever amount is necessary to get the Mets into the World Series. That is, he should spend millions upon millions upon millions of dollars, and not give the luxury tax threshold a second thought.

I, for one, would sure like to see those millions of dollars spread around rather than have almost all of it wind up on the financial statements of a handful of players. But that’s probably not going to happen.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I, for one, would sure like to see those millions of dollars spread around rather than have almost all of it wind up on the financial statements of a handful of players. But that’s probably not going to happen.

Spread around to more players, people in the organization, or just given away in general?

I’m not saying that I necessarily disagree with any of them if that’s your intent, but generally the owner of the team makes his team’s fans happiest when he makes the team a winner, as you mentioned earlier.

If I was the Mets’ GM, I’d load up on pitching. Sign Bauer and maybe one of her flier arms like Kluber or Ray and look to make a targeted trade with one of their young solid bats (not the best ones, but guys like Nimmo or Davis) for another guy to fill out the rotation. It’d be tough to face DeGrom, Bauer and potentially Thor/Kluber/Matz in the playoffs. If they really want to go all in, sign Realmuto as well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

One suggestion I’ve made in the past is to make any player that gets to an MLB roster an instant millionaire. Practically speaking, that isn’t going to happen. All I know for sure is that the system is warped. $18M to a Matt Carpenter is sick. So is $13M to an Andrew Miller. The best thing that could happen is to simply reduce ticket prices so that an MLB front office doesn’t have huge amounts of money to throw around. Agents are now looking at a ceiling of $350M-$400M for the best players. There’s something wrong with that picture. I know this is all more idealism than anything else but it doesn’t hurt to bring it up once in awhile.

Makes sense for the Mets to improve their pitching.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see where Mr. Cohen takes this franchise. He certainly has the funding to build a first class organization similar to that built by the Los Angeles Dodgers. I am not expecting to see the “same old Mets” we have competed against the last ten years or so.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see Mets fans elsewhere are concerned that there is no CFer on their roster. Harrison Bader is from that area and meets the CFer threshold. Bader for Nimmo? Would the Cards need to chip in more? Perhaps. But it might be a trade that’s beneficial to both teams. Nimmo is a high OBP, low power, high K guy who might fit in as a leadoff or #2 hitter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So the Mets would trade an offense-oriented CF for a defense-oriented one? Whether one considers Nimmo a CF, that is where he started the majority of his career. Does he have enough power for a corner?

Also, the Cards would be giving up three years of Bader for two of Nimmo.

Here are Nimmo’s bWARs:

2017: 1.1
    2018: 4.2
    2019: 0.7
    2020: 1.6
    Career average season: 1.9

Here are Bader’s:

2018: 3.5
    2019: 2.1
    2020: 0.9
    Career average season: 2.5

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So the Mets would trade an offense-oriented CF for a defense-oriented one? Whether one considers Nimmo a CF, that is where he started the majority of his career. Does he have enough power for a corner?

That is what I’d propose, yes. They have a very strong lineup with 8 of their 11 regulars with 100 or more OPS+, 7 of which were over 110 and 6 of which were over 120. If they sign Realmuto, that would be another plus bat for their lineup. They could sustain having a defense first CFer like Bader in the lineup.

As far as the Cards’ end, Nimmo may not have enough power for a traditional corner OFer or the defense to play CF, but with O’Neill and Carlson the other two positions may have enough power to overcome it. For 2021, it wouldn’t be a bad bet as bets go.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

J (uhmm) D (er-uh) Davis

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are we sure that Davis is the kind of player we want around for potentially 4 years? He did have one very good year, but he was also pretty bad with the trash can Astros. Then he was back closer to average again this year. TBH, I value the shorter commitment of a Nimmo over a longer one, as if he flops, we are rid of him faster. Even if he’s good, we will (likely) have the money in the budget for an extension so it’s not a huge risk.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Both are arb players that could be tendered or non-tendered annually.

I like how JD fits the roster as a platoon partner w/Carp and Fowler.

Most of his seasons are sss, so I just look at the 115 ops+ over 863 PA’s. He has had one full season as a 137 ops+ over 453 PA’s.

Nimmo’s two less years of control has given him the opportunity to establish his value better at MLB. For instance the trade simulator recently discussed has Nimmo at 26.4, Bader at 16.7 and JD at 16.1

Either could bat cleanup on our roster, heck Brad Miller did.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, Nimmo finished dead last among NL CFs in SDI in 2020 at minus 4.3. Davis was second to last among third basemen at minus 4.6. Be careful what you ask for…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New head of baseball ops Sandy Alderson is bringing in his own group of leaders.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, trading away Baders D, in hopes of adding a Met whose bat improves the lineup (with lesser D), has to be on the table. The alternative is just standing pat with a lineup that has already lost it’s leadoff man.

Arenado and Lindor types, who are good on both sides of the ball, are not headed to STL. What’s your alternative to these “hoped for” choices?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You wonder if O’Neill could play a passable CF. Nimmo would probably be a LFer for me unless we had three big bats in the OF that forced him there. Fowler certainly doesn’t qualify as a big bat. Carlson might be but it’s tough to expect that in 2021. Nimmo and his high OBP would be a useful leadoff man in the Carp mold.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj, there are many options other than trading Bader or standing pat.

I simply pointed out that the Cards would be going from one of the best CF defenders to one of the worst, according to 2020 SDI. Couple that with losing Wong and potentially Molina, and I think both the 2021 defense and pitching both will suffer, potentially substantially.

As stated other times, my preference would be to get a platoon offensive partner for Bader who crushes RHP but doesn’t hit LHP well. Ideally he would not be a negative defender, but with Carlson on the team, if the replacement can play a corner respectfully, that could be good enough. So the defensive platoon would be different from the offensive one, with Carlson changing positions based on whether Bader or new guy is playing that day. But the team seems lukewarm at best to the platooning idea.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On Davis, if he is a minus defender at third, I would rather find a better balanced player there. Another alternative would be to keep Edman at 3B and look for a better second baseman as an interim fix until Gorman is ready. Edman can move to 2B at that time or if the interim guy does well, then Edman can return to being the supersub.

Of course, a huge assumption on any infield changes is that Carpenter can be the DH. That is currently an unknown. But I suspect almost no one is going to be making trades anytime soon, at least until after all the non-tenders are known, which is still four weeks away.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 said:

You wonder if O’Neill could play a passable CF. Nimmo would probably be a LFer for me unless we had three big bats in the OF that forced him there.

The Cards need power. That is not Nimmo’s game. Sure, Carlson or O’Neill or Thomas can play CF. The issue as I see it is that they need a big bat in LF.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years