Mets are a mess

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mets are a mess

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought it would be interesting to discuss some of the problems in the Big Apple.

There is a report that the GM directed a pitching change via phone while watching a game on TV.

The manager and a pitcher threatened a reporter and were fined.

What a mess!

https://nypost.com/2019/06/24/van-wagenen-is-managing-mets-games-from-home-in-unusual-struggle/

Participant

Paid - Annual

They are certainly taking the lead over the Nationals as the most dysfunctional and mismanaged team in MLB. I would assume Callaway won’t be around much longer. Maybe Riggleman can assume his annual title of interim manager.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Shouldn’t the GM be at the game? There is a sign of dysfunction, although perhaps the guy had personal issues to deal with and could not be with the club.

Meanwhile the cross-town Bombers are having a great year. Luke Voit probably looks at the day he was brought over there and celebrates it as his day of freedom.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

On the bright side, the Mets gambled on some guys with signing issues and won – ending up with 3 of the top 50 draftees.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike, the Mets game referenced was in Phoenix. No GM travels with the team for all 81 road games. They have other responsibilities, too, including the minor leagues.

The overriding focus was on the rumor that the GM directed the manager to make an in-game pitching change. Whether he was physically here or there seems less important.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Worst ran team in NY? Mets, Jets, or Knicks? All three are clown shows.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It could always be worse. How about being Gary Cohen and Keith Hernandez, trying to be enthusiastic in the final inning of the final game of another disappointing season for the Mets? (Well, at least one of them was enthusiastic…)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

On that call of their last game, Keith just puts his head in his hands and does not say anything. You can tell he’s thinking “Is this what it has gotten to – we go crazy over a meaningless win?”

I am actually meeting Keith briefly this weekend at an autograph session in Houston. But I am going to say anything about the Mets. Instead I am going to get his reaction to Ted Simmons’ HOF induction.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I hope Hernandez gets into the Cardinals HOF soon.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC, the problem with Hernandez and the Cards HOF is younger voters who think of him as a Met. On his StL contributions alone, he should have been in several years ago. It is discouraging to me.

Let us know how it goes this weekend, bikemike. He is a good guy.

P.S. Coincidentally, the 2020 Cards HOF Modern Era fan ballot will be announced at exactly 6:15 pm tonight. I will have an article up immediately. In fact, it is ready to go!

Participant

Free

MLB defending the Wilpons is self-incriminating in Manfred’s incompetence. No one in their right mind would agree to what the Wilpons are demanding in their contract to sell the Mets.

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

There are rumors that the Mets will be sold.

First thing the new owner must do is clean house.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There are rumors that the Mets will be sold.

First thing the new owner must do is clean house.

If you read the posts directly above yours you will see that the sale of the Mets fell through. Not happening.

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

If you read the posts directly above yours you will see that the sale of the Mets fell through. Not happening.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Boyer14Boyer14.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ARod may get in the mix to buy the Mets. I bet he would have no problem with Jessica Mendoza working for ESPN and the team at the same time! 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

If I am not mistaken Mendoza is no longer with the Mets or on ESPN Sunday baseball. She lost both.

Participant

Free

Shes still at ESPN but not doing sunday night baseball. She resigned from Mets.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Met Keith Hernandez at that Tristar show last Sunday. Couldn’t talk too long as people were waiting for his autograph. I had on a retro-style Cardinal shirt that pays homage to the 1926 team, and right away Hernandez goes “I like that shirt”.

I told him “We gotta get you in the Cardinals Hall of Fame”. He mentioned that he was up for it again this year. I said I will do what I can on social media for him, and then said “You should have been in there before McGwire”. He just shrugged as if to say “What can you do?”.

I asked what he thought of Ted Simmons getting voted into the baseball HOF, had he said “I think it’s great”.

Good guy. Deserves to be in our Hall so get out and vote for him people!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I concur on Hernandez. Thanks for sharing your account, bikemike.

The Mendoza comment was a joke. 😉 But if ARod bought the team, he could rehire her. And he would open a spot back on Sunday Night Baseball…

P.S. I love how Heyman suggested Cohen would probably never be allowed to buy any team, when another reporter later says Cohen is just waiting for the price to go down. Guessing Cohen must have rubbed one of Heyman’s cronies the wrong way.

Participant

Paid - Annual

J-LO might veto the Mendoza rehire. :o)

Participant

Free

P.S. I love how Heyman suggested Cohen would probably never be allowed to buy any team, when another reporter later says Cohen is just waiting for the price to go down. Guessing Cohen must have rubbed one of Heyman’s cronies the wrong way.

His cronies are the Wilpons.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Can’t blame this on bad ownership, a bumbling front office or a cheating manager. Just bad luck. Good for Michael Wacha, though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years