Matthew Liberatore

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matthew Liberatore

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It has been best that Liberatore has not been promoted. I think he needs more development. He will have his chance in 2022.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Libby looks like he has found a way to pitch efficiently, at least. The results have been solid for the last month or so. I agree that there’s no reason to start his clock, but he’s probably on the radar for early 2022. I still think he can be our LH Waino for a long time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see if and how free agency eligibility is changed in the new CBA. If free agency becomes tied to age instead of time served then promoting someone like Libby could be based entirely on readiness instead of the service time clock.

bccran
    Participant

Good point, gscottar.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

If free agency becomes tied to age instead of time served then promoting someone like Libby could be based entirely on readiness instead of the service time clock.

Seems to me that even with a different scale, the motivation would be the same. The sooner the player comes up, the more innings/ABs the team can get from him. In fact, the more I think about it, this way might lead to pushing players ahead faster. But unless the 40-man roster is going away, that will continue to slow certain promotions.

In today’s world, they only have to worry about minor league free agency (seven years in) and Rule 5. Both can be fixed by a 40-man roster designation, buying up to nine more years of control. However, under this proposal, a college player drafted at 22 years of age could be controlled for only 7 1/2 years – between the minors and majors. That is way less than today.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is really hard to gauge guys like Liberatore who have not had a customary timeline and progression coming through MiLB. Hudson came up quickly, but had 100+ innings at both AA and AAA, and pretty much looked good the whole time. Liberatore has talent, 100 innings above A ball and has looked good for 6 weeks. I am not at all sure that is sufficient to get MLB hitters out, but who knows. Things are not as the were. At this point, if he just stays healthy for the next couple years its an improvement over what we’ve had.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2022 should be Liberatores year. With a little more seasoning in the minors, he should make his debut next May or June. Of course, we can hope the rotation is healthy and doing well enough to not rush him.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Free agency should be what it is called. Totally free. No waiting period. JMO. No more holding back a couple productive years.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If free agency is going to be ‘totally free’ for the players, then it would make sense to skip the draft and let players sign wherever they want. There would be no rules, no requirements for anybody since it’s all totally free. But then the player ought to have to pay for tuition and training themselves just like with any other kind of study. Right now they’re getting it all for free.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see Liberatore getting his feet wet at some point in 2022, if he does well, he could be regularly in the rotation by the end of the year.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mudville, not sure that would work. MLB instituted the draft to improve competitive balance. The Yankees dominated for years as they spent way more on scouting and could afford to pay prospects more. IMO, no draft would lead to domination by the richer teams.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The point I was trying to make is that if players want more freedom, where does it stop? How much freedom should the players have? How much freedom can the system tolerate before it doesn’t work anymore?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Simple. It stops when the two sides (owners and players) can no longer agree. Everything between here and there is posturing/negotiating.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still don’t quite get why they haven’t kept Liberatore in the rotation, and Pallante in the pen. Is it possible this could keep Matt from getting to free agency sooner?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think service time is being managed. For free agency, it is six full seasons, so any partial season is the same.

It could potentially affect his first year of arbitration as a potential Super Two, I guess, but a lot could happen between now and then.

Pallante was a successful starter until this year so trying him in that role doesn’t bother me. There aren’t a lot of MLB-ready starters queued up so Liberatore should be back soon enough.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s been a disappointing season for Liberatore. But he is very young, and has plenty plenty of growing pains ahead, like many other young Cardinals.

Lee
    Participant

Libby will be a good 5 spot rotation guy. He just hasn’t lived up to all the hype. Sure he is young, but not that young. He certainly needs more time in AAA to refine his pitches.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve continually looked to Adam Wainwright as a comp for Libby. Waino wasn’t exactly lighting the minors on fire either, but his stuff worked on the big league level because he was crafty and able to command it. I see Liberatore as having a similar path to being a front end starter, even if expecting him to be a capital A Ace is too much to project for any pitcher. Those writing him off as a #5 type already are making a mistake, IMO. He’s going to be more than fine.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Trading with the Rays usually is a bad idea as they come out on top of most deals and i feel the same way about the Libby trade to…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see Liberatore as having a great curveball. But his other pitches lack late movement. There’s plenty of time for him to get better.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’d say there’s a good chance that Liberatore goes to the Nationals in the Juan Soto trade. I’d like to keep him but I’m not going to lose any sleep if he is indeed involved in the upcoming trade that is imminent.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not saying I am down on Liberatore, just pointing out that there are going to be growing pains for all of our young kids. I think Liberatore will be fine, with a max of a number 2 starter, and at worst a 4. I certainly would not trade him when we need pitching.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I’d say there’s a good chance that Liberatore goes to the Nationals in the Juan Soto trade. I’d like to keep him but I’m not going to lose any sleep if he is indeed involved in the upcoming trade that is imminent.

THIS!!!!!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Love that sense of optimism!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Libatore will rebound in 2023. His stuff is too good. And it was his rookie year.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.