Managerial Candidates – Who You Like?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Managerial Candidates – Who You Like?

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Carioca… it was tongue in cheek.

Pork Twain
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read an article by Bernie about teams hiring coaches based on analytics and how the coaches best able to use them are what’s in vogue which I already knew. The problem is all teams have these departments and it’s the same information so really nothing changes. The teams that spend still tend to be the teams that succeed. If you are a team that can’t afford to be a big spender, you have to find other ways to make your team competitive. Going out of the box and getting an old school coach would be a lot better in my eyes far as this team winning a championship. I know it isn’t going to happen but it’s what ld like to see happen.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What are the odds this hiring stays in house? I am guessing 75%. I would love to see Bochy as our next skipper, but seems very much unlikely.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still think it will be either Schumaker, Marmol, Clapp, or Beltran

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have little doubt that the identity of our new skipper was made shortly after the Shildt parting, if not before. Have there been any sightings in town of any managerial applicants? I guess that doesn’t totally matter anyway, as sometimes these guys(probably not in Mo’s case) get their jollies out of the process of bringing in eager applicants and listening to their plans for success. The elegant dinners are a bonus too. But even the hiring process itself, with a myriad of different applicants, hence with a ton of different approaches to the game, certainly can bear tremendous fruit for a GM. The Cardinal selection has “MARMOL” written all over it.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I also think Marmol is handicapped by having been so tight with Shildt. It is hard to expect that they were not like minded.

True, but Marmol knows exactly why Shildt was canned. Thus he knows what management is looking for. If he can handle having the exec’s ear when making decisions on running the club on the field, he will accept the job if offered. If not, then on to the next guy.

Mike obviously was not on board with that, and thus has been told his services are no longer needed.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs?

Jasper lost in the first game of the tournament tonight. Score was Northview 28 and Jasper 14. Jasper was undefeated at 9-0 coming in to the game. The Knights of Northview (up near Terre Haute) just outplayed them.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I sure miss the days when we had Larussa and Whitey. Since Larussa left I always felt that we were outmaneuvered in game day decisions much in the way that Larussa seemed to be a step or 2 ahead of Whoever managed against him. It was comical when Dusty Baker opposed him. Baker seemed to hate Tony, and was frustrated by his moves. Baker seemed to never the most out of his talented teams His team is back in the World Series though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    bccran
    Participant

Great write up, Brian. I just hope that Bill, Mo, and Mike G. aren’t so far down the analytics path that they don’t recognize all the other needed traits you mention in your article.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great article Brian! One day I’ll retire and thus have the time to read all of your great write ups…..keep em coming. My retirement quest, when that sad day arrives, will be to eventually know 10% of what Brian knows, about this wonderful game that we all so cherish.

Hey Rat. We two may very well be the two greatest Jasper Wildcat fans on the planet. Keep your chin up….. we’ll get em next year. At least our Jasper varsity basketball 🏀 team looks loaded to the gills with talented hoopsters for this upcoming campaign.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’d be happy if our new manager has one of those wishes. Two would be asking for much. Any one manager with three hasn’t been born yet.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That was a great read Brian. I enjoyed it. I agree that we need a manager with a combination of appreciation of analytics and old school skills but I am not sensing that is the direction the Cardinals are headed. We shall see.

I did not know that Earl Weaver and Sparky Anderson had St. Louis connections. Wow, thanks for that. Although I don’t think Sparky managed the Reds Nasty Boys relievers. I think Lou Pinella was their skipper.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You’re right gscottar. Just swap in Borbon, Eastwick and Carroll. Or Hernandez and a couple others in Detroit.

It’s fun looking back at the previous generations, but also worth doing to capture a broader understanding of the game. I think this article captures the idea of don’t throw out the baby with the bath water, which happens so often as new management philosophies gain steam (in sports, business, military, etc).

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Enjoyed the article. Analytics are a great tool. Same as the baseball mind, experience, leadership qualities, and mental toughness. Finding someone that doesn’t rely on just one tool is the key. A tie to guys like Kissell and Ricketts wouldn’t hurt.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

10 am Monday Zoom conference has been called by the Cardinals.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

Awful.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Will be rooting for him. Hopefully is his own man. Not my choice but gotta give him a chance.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

He’s a Cardinal so we will be rooting for his success, but I guess we will see if this is strike three by Mozeliak in hiring of managers.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of people, including many posters here, believe that the manager has less to do with the success of a team than they are led to believe. I tend to agree with that using Joe Maddon as an example. He was successful year after year while managing the Rays in Tampa Bay. Then, he went to Chicago and managed his team to a World Series championship. Then, when his pitching started to dry up, so did his success as manager. Now he’s in Los Angeles managing the Angels, but there’s nothing magical happening for him there. Basically, he’s just the Angels latest manager. The current, most prevalent system is the age old system where there is a manager, and the manager tells the front office what he needs to win, and the front office, if it’s a top notch front office with plenty of cash, gives him what he wants whereby he brings home the wins. In this system everything pretty much revolves around the manager. And in this system, if the team doesn’t win, just blame it on the manager. It looks like Mozeliak and his front office team are looking at an overall organizational approach where the analytics department provides data to front office personnel who analyze the data and determine, as best they can, what the team needs in terms of talent. But I could see where a system like that could also be used to determine lineup and batting order. In this case the manager’s job is to implement the analytics data given to him, and more importantly, to maintain harmony in the clubhouse and keep his players motivated, and last but not least, keep the front office informed of what’s needed and wanted. Disclaimer: This all guesswork on mudville’s part.

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years