Make your BOLD predictions for the 2023 St Louis Cardinals here!!

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Make your BOLD predictions for the 2023 St Louis Cardinals here!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the season nigh upon us, it’s time to revive a thread where folks can go crazy and make the picks they’d never dream of laying a wager on…yet will look like a genius if they prove right. It’s BOLD pick time!

Make your BOLD picks for the 2023 season…and maybe in October we can look back and see who proved the BOLD and brightest!

As a matter of rule, know that your picks must be BOLD to count here. They can be positive or negative, but don’t be boring. Nothing probable, such as “Arenado wins the Gold Glove” or even likely, like “Goldy wins the MVP again.”

Let’s see those BOLD picks!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll go first:

1. Nolan Gorman leads the Cards in homers by a good margin, becoming the first Cardinal to swat 40 big flies since Albert.

2. The game 1 starter for the first round of the playoffs is not on the team right now, as the Cards make a splash at the deadline by trading Dylan Carlson and Brendon Donovan for a front line starter.

3. Willson Contreras proves that the Cardinals really do have the Midas touch behind the plate as he starts over 100 games at the back stop position and wins a Gold Glove.

4. The Cards’ starting three OF by seasons end (Walker, O’Neill and Nootbaar) account for 14 or more WAR.

5. Dewitt tries to convince Mo at the deadline to commit to trading for both front line guys on the market (Bieber and Nola), but Mo prefers to give Dakota Hudson a shot at the 5th rotation spot after Waino, Mikolas and Matz all hit the DL. The PD’s headline reads “BILL OPENS DEWALLET, BUT MO SAYS NO.” Mozeliaks looks like a genius as Dakota throws 7 innings, 2H, 5BB, 0K in game 2 of the Wild Card round and outduels Aaron Nola.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Wainwright comes up lame at the WBC with groin injury and goes on the IL.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I never make predictions, stlcard25, especially about the future…However, I’ll escape that rule by using the term, “projections,” as does BR…Haha! I’ll need a little time to carefully calculate the entire set of never ending analytic criteria, but I can assure you that once I do, I’ll return to submit all of my BOLD projections for the ’23 edition of the St. Louis, Cardinals. I love this kind of stuff simply for the reason that it always seems to remind me of how wrong I can be…Haha!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

97-65

Arenado a leading MVP candidate. He puts up a .300/35/110 line.

Matz a comeback year.

Wainwright fair. Perhaps 10-10 with a 4.21 era.

Goldschmidt not quite the 2022 Goldy. .285/25/85.

Nootbaar his old self. Hits about .230

Walker a Memorial Day callup. Finishes the season .265 with 15 dongs.

Helsley another fine year as closer. 38 saves, 1.71 era.

Cards lose in the NLCS.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Gorman is the team MVP with a line of .270/.350/.540/.890

2. Matz increases his IP to 55.

3. Wainwright battle injuries all year but manages to get 5 wins to give him his coveted 200 for his career.

4. Carlson, Liberatore, and another top 30 prospect are dealt at the deadline for a front end starter.

5. The Cardinals finish 94-68, winning the NLC by 7 games. Ollie wins NL Manager of the Year, which leaves half of this board scratching their heads.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Woodford in top 2 on staff in GS and wins.

2. Tom Parson and Grant Black make MLB debuts.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I never make predictions, stlcard25, especially about the future…However, I’ll escape that rule by using the term, “projections,” as does BR…Haha! I’ll need a little time to carefully calculate the entire set of never ending analytic criteria, but I can assure you that once I do, I’ll return to submit all of my BOLD projections for the ’23 edition of the St. Louis, Cardinals. I love this kind of stuff simply for the reason that it always seems to remind me of how wrong I can be…Haha!

Remember, the goal is to be BOLD…being right is less important. Haha!

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Andre Pallante becomes the new staff ace finishing in the top 10% in ERA and 25% in strikeouts. Alongside solid performances from Woodford, Liberatore, and Matz, it puts to bed concerns about the Cardinals starting rotation in 2024.

Wainwright sadly does not make it to 200 career wins.

Behind Arenado, Burleson becomes the next best hitter on the team.

Carlson puts up a 4.5 WAR season.

Cardinals finish with 99 wins and get a first round bye.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

When I made my bold prediction about Wainwright (see above) I didn’t realize he’s starting on the IL. I’d like to change that to about 7-7 with a similar ERA. In other words, don’t expect much from Waino in 2023, his last year.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Okay, let’s see…My single most BOLD prediction is that Marmol places Donovan in the 5 slot for the majority of the ’23 season…Brendan taters up 28 times, pushes 105 runs across HP and finishes in the top 5 in the NL MVP vote, after which Ollie is proclaimed an authentic genius until Johnny steals the thunder from the Redbird manager by proclaiming to the local media in an exclusive interview that, “Hey, that was MY idea”…

Oliver
    Participant

Free

BOLD predictions:

Waino wins the Cy Young.
    Cardinals miss the playoffs.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I usually do wildly negative predictions, but will mix it up this year. Let’s see…

1. Adam Wainwright is released in mid-May after a dugout confrontation with Marmol. Waino hooks on with his hometown club and goes 11-2 the rest of the way, with a two-hit shutout of his old club to open the wild card round.

2. Paul Goldschmidt is benched in a June, sporting a line of .177/.232/.344, with 2 homers and 14 RBI.

3. Given a shot to play first base, Juan Yepez’ career takes off, carrying the club in August where he wins player-of-the-month, and finishing with 32 homers, 88 RBi and an OPS+ of 167.

4. Pitching proves to be a strength with Steven Matz and Miles Mikolas each turning in 16 win seasons. Drew Ver Hagen comes out of nowhere to win 14, and Jake Woodford chips in 12.

After losing the wild card round yet again, Ollie Marmol is fired for “philosophical differences”, with Joe McEwing hired as the 2024 skipper.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Cards clinch Division by September 15.

2. Walker goes north with team, then falters and is sent
    down to Memphis on about May 15. Walker returns after
    All-Star break and leads league in every offensive
    category, but not enough AB for Triple Crown
    consideration.

3. Tyler O-Neill establishes himself as full time
    centerfielder with slash line .290/.355/.580/.945
    with 37 HR.

4. Pallante enters rotation mid-season and establishes
    himself as solid mid-rotation pitcher. Pallante is
    replaced in bullpen by rising star, Connor Thomas.

5. Jake Woodford becomes long relief bullpen ‘ace’ and
    records 9 W’s.

6. Nolan Gorman feeds off the shift and posts .327 BA with
    23 HR.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I like like your list, mudville. After reading it I’m convinced the ’23 edition of the Redbirds will end the regular season with 104 W’s!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bikemike – Take a couple of aspirins and lay down for awhile.
    Then, would you please review and re-post your BOLD predictions?

gscottar – You absolutely nailed it with your BOLD prediction of Brendon Donovan for 2022. I’m hoping you nail it again this year, especially that no. 4 BOLD prediction.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

1. Tommy Edman-SS…272/10/55…40 SB’s CS only 3 times, 102 runs scored
    2. Brendan Donovan-2B…270/12/68…40 Doubles
    3. Paul Goldschmidt-1B…292/28/104…Another GG for Goldy
    4. Nolan Arenado-3B…279/35/115…Just hand him the Platinum before the opener.
    5. Tyler O’Neill- CF…262/23/79
    6. Willson Contreras- C…251/18/71
    7. Nolan Gorman-L/Juan Yepez-R DH…260/22/61…242/7/35…A little shy of 100 RBI’s from the DH slot.
    8. Jordan Walker-LF…275/17/60…NL ROY
    9. The Nootz-RF…238/15/63…He wows the capacity crowd with his rousing singing performance of the National Anthem on opening day billed as “Wayne Nooton”…

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Win division, lose in NLCS

2024, ’25, and ’26 is the WS window.

I think we go to one then.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Matz will be the Cardinals best pitcher this year, winning about 17 games.

Cardinals will just miss out on the playoffs after losing their final game.

After the loss, Mo presents evidence to the Commissioner that the Padres and Tatis violated terms of his punishment after breaking training camp by maintaining unauthorized contact with the team prior to the end of his suspension. The commissioner disqualifies the Padres from playoff participation and inserts the Cards to take their place.

Cardinals get hot and Matz wins the World Series MVP.

Mo is arrested in downtown St Louis during the victory parade. Charges are Mo illegally obtained the Tatis information via corporate espionage and he had conspired for months to use this information if necessary to get the Cards in the playoffs.

In a press conference, the Justice Department explains the charges against Mo and a real shocker comes to light. Padres’ coach Mike Shildt is the Fed’s key witness against Mo.

Commissioner strips Cards and Matz of WS Trophy and MVP Award.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…”Youneverknow”

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matz wins 20. Flaherty makes fewer than 10 starts for Cardinals. Stratton DFA’d by end of May. Carlson dealt to Pirates with Yepez (and more)for Reynolds in June. Helsley tries to do too many back to backs (1) and goes down for surgery May 15 (but surgery postponed until beginning of next season due to plasma rich injections and 2nd 3rd and 8th opinions). Pallante steps in to closer role in fine fashion to get us confident before his inevitable injury next year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.