Bold Predictions for 2019 (Player Edition )

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bold Predictions for 2019 (Player Edition )

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To distinguish this from the experts’ “projection” thread, I’m curious what TCN folks think will happen this year? Remember to be bold, so no silliness such as “Miles Nikolas will lead the Cards in ERA” (although that would have been pretty bold last year!)

Mine:

1. Jack Flaherty finishes in the top 10 of the NL Cy Young. Although Diamond Jack gives up a few too many homers, he certainly racks up the Ks and holds teams without many hits. I think that is on display this year with a sub-3 ERA and lots of punch outs.

2. 5 Redbirds finish with 25+ home runs this year after only Marp finished that high this past year. Ozuna, Marp, Goldy all hit 30+ and O’Neill and Dejong also reach the feat, giving the lineup plenty of pop.

3. Speaking of Ozuna, the 2019 WAR leader among former Marlins OFers is…one Marcell. Yes, he will outperform both Yelich and Stanton and set himself up for a nice free agent payday after the year.

4. One year after having one of the worst defenses in baseball, the Cardinals will feature not one…not two…but three Gold Glove winners afield in 2019. Bader, Wong and the ageless Yadier Molina will all capture the hardware.

5. The Cardinals, in the thick of the NL Central race at the deadline, will shock fans and pull off a big trade, swinging the pendulum of the division wildly in the favor of the St Louis Nine. This will be the final piece of the “all in” philosophy of the Fightin’ Dewitts as they look to take advantage of the tail end of Yadi and Waino’s careers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good thread idea. It should be fun to come back and review this in the fall. Bragging rights are at stake!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

hmmm…i guess i will do 5 too

1. 3 GG winners might be our biggest achievement with Goldy, Wong, Bader…Yadi is close but gets injured at some point like Wong was last year and Grandal ends up getting it

2. Ozuna hits 30HRs but without much average

3. NL Central is tight once again down to the end with Cardinals squeaking out the Division title in the last week

4. Wacha has a strong healthy year making it really tough on management about what to do with him, ultimately leading to the Cardinals dangling and dealing Carlos Martinez at the deadline for top prospects shifting his money to cover Wacha’s extension

5. Wieters will fill in for Yadi at some point and do remarkably well, enough that we move move him at the deadline for some more immediate help

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My predictions probably aren’t that bold:

1. Goldy once again finishes in top 10 of MVP vote.

2. Waino is replaced in the rotation before the all star break.

3. Cardinals trade for Madison Bumgarner in July.

4. RF continues to be a conumdrum. JMart and O’Neill start a platoon before the all star break. Fowler to the bench. Might try to move him before the deadline.

5. Cards finish 2nd in the division to the Cubs but we beat the Brewers in the wild card game to advance.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Wacha will be the best SP’r

Brebbia will be the best reliever

Molina will lead stl in rbi

Jose Martinez will not be a negative outfielder, by uzr/150

Wong becomes next winters undesirable contract after Fowler posts a 125 ops+

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. CMart finishes in the top three for Reliever of the Year.

2. Reyes moves into the rotation by June 15.

3. Cubs lack of starting pitching depth takes them out of the race for Division lead early, with miss for Wild Card, also, as Rox and Mets claim Wild Cards.

4. Tommy Edman is on the St. Louis roster before the end of the season, and stays.

5. I’ll go with thejager’s prediction and say that Wieters gets traded at the deadline for immediate help.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking at these…it’s a good thing we all have day jobs. Lol. My #1 and 3 were flat out bad, 2 looks iffy, 4 might turn out but it may not be the three I chose, and 5 somehow, amazingly remains to be seen.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Good thread idea. It should be fun to come back and review this in the fall. Bragging rights are at stake!

stl25…. reviewing these now is fun and funny. Predictions are tough and the guys that were courageous enough to submit… I give them credit. I’d say that thejager may be in the lead as of now.

I like mud’s Edman prediction. Good pick.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years