Bold Predictions for the 2020 Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bold Predictions for the 2020 Cardinals

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We did this last year and not too many participated, but it could still be fun to see how things turn out in a couple of months. For the rules…don’t pick something that is likely or obvious to happen. Be bold! Then we can see who looks like a fool at season’s end.

I’ll start:

1. Carlos Martinez leads the rotation in wins and gets more Cy Young votes than Jack Flaherty. I think Cmart is primed for a big year.

2. At least one of the starting IF+C will not be starting game 1 of the playoffs. Perhaps two.

3. The Cardinals leader in OPS this season will be…Tyler O’Neill. I’m excited to see him get a full shot at the starting job.

4. KK Kim will be one of the best closers in the league and be recognized as one of the better FA signings this team has made in years.

5. Dylan Carlson will be called up to start in RF but will struggle and people will already start to write him off before he really takes off in 2021.

Your picks??

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Flaherty wins the Cy Young

2. Carlson finishes second for ROY.

3. Cardinals make it to the NLCS again but are beaten by the Dodgers in 6 games.

4. Reyes comes up in mid August and becomes the number one setup man to Kim.

5. Poncedeleon thrives as the long man and 7th inning guy with an ERA below 2.75.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Here are some:

1. Paul Goldschmidt leads the league in home runs and RBIs, and is voted MVP.
    2. Dexter Fowler bats .327 for the year.
    3. Yadier Molina never gets untracked, and loses the starting catching job by early September with Knizner starting and hitting .415 for the month, with 5 homers and 21 RBIs (and an OPS of 1.114)
    4. Cardinals win the NL Central, but are swept in the playoffs by an upstart Miami team. Former Cardinal Sandy Alcantara shuts the Cards out in game one.
    5. Marcel Ozuna is neck-and-neck with Goldschmidt for MVP honors, when he suffers a broken arm as a result of an HBP in late August and misses the remainder of the season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike, we might want to root against item number 2. It might lead to a three year extension…lol

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since we are critiquing Mike’s picks, I will join in. The Ozuna one would be more realistic if he was injured running into the outfield wall. 😉

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike, I will give you that those may be the boldest picks I’ve seen this year or last. Lol.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great comments, guys! 🙂

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bike Mike, if Fowler bats .327 or above this year I will buy you a ticket to a Wrigley Rooftop for a Cubs Cards game next year!

I hope your #3 doesn’t happen with Yadi, but wouldn’t mind Knizner showing a lot of promise which is probably the most likely out of everything except your #1.

In a week or two, a normal season would already be 2/3rds over, so in a week or two will the MVP, CY and ROY debates already begin? Player X has 3 HR and 8 RBI, he’s our leading MVP prediction! hah.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

My 2020 Predictions:

1) Paul DeJong is worth the most WAR of any Cardinal, finishes in top 3 of NL MVP vote

2) Carlson comes up in early August to replace Bader in CF and proves the scouts right, top 3 NL ROY but didn’t get as many AB’s as the winner

3) Austin Gomber replaces the first SP that gets injured/isn’t producing, ERA under 3, K’s over 9, we all have him pegged as our legit 1B going into 2021 and CardsfaninChitown posts at least 20-100 times in the offseason “see, I told you so, about Gomber”

4) Fowler is hitting under .200 after two weeks, but Dean has been hitting the ball hard, starts taking every other start from him, and finally by September an OF spot is 100% Deans. Ends up hitting in the 5 hole and produces like Luke Voit after he was traded to the Yankees for the rest of the year.

5) CMart stays healthy and produces at a level almost as good as he was a couple of years ago. We are all cocky about our 3 ace starters in JF, Gomber and CMart and a top notch back of the rotation with Hudson, Ponce, Kim, Gant, Helsley, Oviedo etc rounding out the rotation going into 2021. CardsfaninChitown then rambles on all offseason about trading Mikolas to free up money to add another bat after they have already traded for one. The Cardinals oblige by trading him to the Angels, who barely missed the playoffs due to pitching, along with Gant for Brandon Marsh

6) CardsfaninChitown complains about how much he just doesn’t like Woodford for some reason, but Woodford does a solid job in relief, Woodford then proceeds to get the last out of the 2020 WS making the St. Louis Cardinals the 2020 World Series Champions!!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Here is my overall prediction for the Cardinals in 2020, I came up with this little phrase after talking with a buddy a minute ago.

The pitching is to great for them to be awful, the hitting is to awful for them to be great.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great stuff CFCT! I hope Dex can get me to a rooftop game at Wrigley!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bike, you meant a 327 avg not 327 K’s right? haha, even in a 60 game season, 327 K’s seems more realistic!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hitting .500 right now baby!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.