Jose Martinez thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jose Martinez thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, the DH was instituted in the AL in 1973. This topic has been stuck in neutral for 45 years now, so I believe I have grounds to be “cavalier”. If I am looking for clues, I will go with the commissioner over one team’s rep every time.

What typically happens in labor discussions is that that the two sides focus on other matters that are more pressing and the DH remains on the sidelines, but of course, it is possible. Like I said, let’s talk about 2022 later on.

To the point of this thread, I am pretty confident predicting that Jose Martinez will never become the St. Louis Cardinals’ full-time DH. Therefore, his potential use as a DH four or more years from now should not be a factor in keeping him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

LH reliever Jose Alvarado and/ or other relievers is who they should be targeting as main player.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I read this as Gyorko basically saying he will cover if Martinez is traded (and he is not).

Participant

Free

Neither one of them should be in the outfield.

Though didn’t Gyorko play half a game there two years ago when all of our outfielders were injured at the same time?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

I’d bet infield is looking real crowded from Jedd’s chair.

Fowler, Bozo and O’Neill would likely point at the back of the line.

Tell em you can catch too Jedd!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Take the rumor with a grain of salt, but interesting to monitor. Also of note is that not everyone derides players who are not robots.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jose to Minnesota seems logical.

Participant

Free

Jose to Tampa seems logical.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jose to New York seems logical (just to change it up).

Participant

Free

Maybe a guy like LHer José Alvarado. Not a lot of mileage on his arm and decent stats. Both players are fairly inexpensive and fill a need for each team. If Minnesota how about LHer Taylor Rogers. Not sure they would do that but just tossing names out there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It certainly would be… interesting…if the Cards went into 2019 with a lower payroll than 2018. You’d have to think they sign a free agent relief pitcher even if they do trade Jmart for a lefty pitcher.

Participant

Free

Guess this all means that the FO is done trying to make the team better and now resorted to filling holes and tinkering to bet everything on Goldschmidt leading us back to the playoffs, so more lather rinse repeat sadly…

Participant

Paid - Annual

FO got Goldy to arouse some interest and to sell some tickets. How else can you explain that trade.

One great ballplayer doesn’t turn this team into a WS contender. He is one and done here.

What will turn this team around in the near future is the prospects being able to fulfill their potential: Flaherty, Gomber, Hudson, Hicks, Bader, O’Neill and DeJong. Followed by AGarcia, Thomas, Knizner and Arozarena.

Parades are dreams… prospects make them happen.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well look at it this way:

We won 88 games last year with Fowler hitting .180, Holland being a dumpster fire, Ozuna playing with one arm, Matheny being here for half of the year, and Goldy playing for the Dbacks.

You would have to think most of those issues will be improved for 2019 to get us into the 90-95 win range if we can upgrade the bullpen. Don’t underestimate the impact of Goldy.

I don’t like defending our FO but I call it as I see it. I think we have a good chance to be really good this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So who would we want from the Dodgers for JMart?

Scott Alexander?
    Tony Cingrani?

Neither one of those guys seem as good as Will Smith.

If it were me I would ask for Joc Pederson but we seem to be committed to Fowler in RF.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Don’t bother, gscottar. Those all twisted up over Harper and Fowler are going to keep focusing on that.

Participant

I am all in for any moves that make the 2019 edition a legit contender. My only issue is with the long term plan. Again that’s my take. Goldy doesn’t make any sense long term but is a tremendous addition for 2019 so keep making the moves to make 2019 a great year.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

There is absolutely no reason to trade Jose Martinez if they don’t sign Harper. For all of his defensive problems, Jose Martinez isn’t worse than Dexter Fowler and his bat somewhat makes up for any defensive short-comings.

As far as 95 wins goes, that may not be enough to win the division with the amount of teams that are now tanking. Win totals have been greatly inflated in recent years. So the ultimate question is this: Are we better than the Brewers and/or Cubs? I’m going to have to say no we aren’t. There’s still a lot of dead weight on this roster and I thought the entire process was to be better than your rivals, not tied or worse.

Participant

Free

Jose to Minnesota seems logical.

After Joe Mauer retired, it looked logical…less so now that they’ve added CJ Cron.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who in the NL other than the Diamondbacks is planning on being worse than next year? Giants and Pirates probably try to hold where they are at. Marlins cant be worse can they? Mets, Padres, and Reds all a little further along in their rebuilds. I dont see more teams tanking than last year.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who in the NL other than the Diamondbacks is planning on being worse than next year? Giants and Pirates probably try to hold where they are at. Marlins cant be worse can they? Mets, Padres, and Reds all a little further along in their rebuilds. I dont see more teams tanking than last year.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Josh Fields?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would take Caleb Ferguson + another decent prospect from the Dodgers for Jose. Or we could expand it to Jose + Ponce (or other similar level RH pitcher) for Ferguson and Pederson

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years