Jordan Hicks

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jordan Hicks

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Roster question about Tuivialala – if he were removed from the 40 man roster would he go through waivers or have to be released? If not claimed, would he remain under team control? Not that I think this will or should happen.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tuivailala’s process would be no different than Lucas’, for example.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo was pretty clear about the plan with Reyes. I doubt it will change because of Holland, as they never seriously considered using Reyes to close. The plan is to ramp up Reyes’ innings over the season and have him built up by the end of the season to have thrown about 100 innings in 2018 and be ready to pitch a full starter’s load in 2019.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Did we just lose our top AA starter? There was talk about Jordan moving to the BP even last season. It would be great to see him succeed ay MLB level. It would be like trading for another reliever… a good one. Are there enough seats out there to accommodate Reyes? In hindsight we really didn’t have to go outside to bring in marginal BP arms.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Would love to see a reporter try to pin Mo down as to whether long term they see Hicks as a starter or reliever.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At WWU, Mo said reliever. Since situations can and do change, the real answer may be that they don’t know. If I was them, that is what I would say. What benefit is there in making a firm declaration now? I cannot see any.

Participant

Free

I think that for longevity purposes, JH’s stuff lends to a closer role however the Cardinals seem very intentional about identifying roles for the young guns asap. I’m looking for Weaver, Flatherty, Reyes as top line starters…and Woolford, Fernandez, and Williams in set up roles, and Hicks as the closer in my own fantasy world by 2020

Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be great to see Hicks and Holland in late innings, but it would seem likely Hicks, and/or Mayers will have to be sent down when Holland and Gregerson are activated. Although cutting Norris might be a better option if those 2 keep pitching well. But Mo will probably try and milk as much of the 3 million as they can out of Norris’ year. Also, with the frequency of injuries to our pitchers, other choices may be needed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

All of a sudden our bullpen looks like it could be one of the best. Lyons, Hicks, Leone, Holland seem pretty formidable if all works out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Remember that sending down Hicks for a while at some point would save a year of free agency later.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks seems to be on the same trajectory as Rosenthal was. Of course with the Holland signing we can afford to be more conservative with Hicks. It is a good situation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rosenthal’s trajectory, only faster. Rosenthal made a total of 20 starts totaling 109 innings between Memphis and Springfield before coming up and Hicks has none.

It is worth remembering that Rosenthal has always preferred to start. I bet it will be some time before we learn Hicks’ real preference (if he has one). He would be wise to remain quiet and humble.

Yet without those AA/AAA starts as further experience-building, will Hicks’ full repertoire ever develop enough that he could become a viable MLB starter?

Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems to me that Leone and Tuivailala, and maybe, Mayers or Helsley could all be closers. I’d just as soon see Hicks continue to develop as a starter. Also, I’m really tired of Carlos Martinez’ behavior.

Participant

With Holland due to get here when he’s good and ready to leave Borasland, he will most likely be the closer $$$. It would be nice to have a closer under team control for a few seasons instead of the merry-go-round.

As far as Carlos goes…. he needs to see Dr. Melfi, Tony Soprano’s psychologist.

Participant

Free

One thing that the Cardinals do believe that right now Jordan has the most electrifying stuff in baseball, and frankly they are just trying not to blow it ?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Holland is supposed to be in Jupiter already and is scheduled to have his first throwing session today. Yes, when he is activated by St. Louis, he will be the closer. Both Girsch and Matheny made that clear.

I think many (including me) are happy the closer is on a one-year deal given the quality of young arms coming along.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Would love to see Hicks start totally dominating batters by registering more whiffs. He could be bringing the heat at 120mph, but his name really shouldn’t be bandied about with the likes of Chapman until he starts not allowing hitters to put the ball in play so often.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hicks = Rosenthal

See any similarities between the two so far?

Both throw hard.
    Both were up and coming flamethrowers.
    Both had some control problems.
    Both could strikeout a lot of people.
    Both could walk themselves into a jam.
    Both could sometimes get themselves out of that jam.

Here’s to hoping Hicks has better command than Rosenthal did.

r/Rat

Participant

Free

Rats you need to open your eye

Hicks has more movement than Rosenthal ever had
    Hicks doesn’t strike out squat for batters
    Rosethal was a STUD for us and if Hicks is as good the cards are golden

Your hate for Rosenthal is comical still!!!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

At first glance, I thought RatsBuddy’s post was going to be a beautiful poem about our young gem, Jordan McKinley Hicks. Thank God I was wrong.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

“Rats you need to open your eye
    Hicks has more movement than Rosenthal ever had
    Hicks doesn’t strike out squat for batters
    Rosethal was a STUD for us and if Hicks is as good the cards are golden
    Your hate for Rosenthal is comical still!!!!
    ========================================================================================================

Hicks has more movement??? You base that upon what? I saw a lot of Rosenthal’s balls move out of the zone for balls.

So far Hicks has struck out 135 batters in 160+ innings since he was signed. Good K rate, but not as good as Rosenthal. So you are half right here.

Rosenthal was a STUD??? He was? When? Did I miss something other than 2015? And if he was a STUD, why is he gone???

Hate Rosenthal? Nope, its just that he was an accident waiting to happen. I was hoping he would turn into the 2nd Coming but he didn’t. I hope Hicks turns into the 2nd Coming now.

r/Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years