Jordan Hicks

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jordan Hicks

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

What are the corresponding moves? Hicks isn’t on the 40-man and they still have to make room for Munoz.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Munoz is on the 40 man roster already. Cards have to make room for Pena and Hicks. I believe Brebbia is optioned out for 25 man spot.

This is exciting news, even if he eventually sent back down.

Participant

Free

Not Munoz….I meant Pena. Dang it.

Pena and Hicks aren’t on the 40-man roster. Room has to be made now for both of them. So who gets DFA’d? Valera and ????

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From the Life Ain’t Always Fair department:

Participant

Free

Brebbia deserves to stay in STL over Dud Norris.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Gut feeling but I dont think Hicks sticks.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

brebbia has 128 service days, add two full seasons and he’s sitting at a super2 cutoff date. just sayin’

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I had noted Brebbia’s service time in an earlier article, but let’s face it, how much does one more year of arbitration matter with the last guy in the pen? He has to make it two more years first – at a time when there are many very good pitching prospects closing in on St. Louis.

What I am saying is that Brebbia’s service time is a small side benefit at best. It clearly was not a factor in the Hicks decision. I am confident in that.

Conversely, Hicks will have to go down later to keep him from free agent eligibility a year sooner. Same with Munoz. That is far more important. Far more.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

and both could lose service time during the next 6 years, as brebbia appears to be going to. so assuming they lose no time for the next six years, today, is a stretch I won’t agree with.

service time manipulation is not a bad thing if it helps keep a good player a year longer before non-tendering. it’s not my paycheck.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

it had appeared mayers, who has an option remaining, had made the roster due to gregersons injury. that now has a different look to it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just curious. What makes you think they would reverse the Mayers decision? Yes, he gave up two runs last night. Now his spring ERA is 1.38 and his OBA is .159.

Besides, optioning out Mayers would accomplish nothing to address the current problem, which is the 40-man roster.

Participant

Free

I think the suggestion was that it seems like Mayers was the last one up, in this case because of the injury, but since Brebbia was the first one sent down, that maybe Mayers was always a little safer.

I don’t know enough to say one way or the other, but I believe that was the suggestion by the previous poster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oh yes, I get that now and it makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up for me, Ewok, and sorry for my misunderstanding, jj.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see Mayers, Hicks pitch the 7th and 8th innings, although Hicks would be used in the 6th and 7th to start the season.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of potentially good options for the bullpen this year. Hicks is definitely an exciting one but with this kind of depth, it’s not imperative that he comes out blazing, exactly. Should be an interesting last few innings this year.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

If Hicks is not blazing, he should be in the minors developing. I only want him in STL if he is going to be a difference maker.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree, CC, and bet the organization does, too. If he gets knocked around, down he goes. One interesting sidelight is that he may never pitch a game at Double-A. (I do think he will spend some time with Memphis eventually, though.)

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, CC. My point was that if he’s not perfect, there are clearly enough other options that there’s no excuse for this team having a poor bullpen. If Hicks struggles, it’s not a big deal, unlike last year when Rosenthal and Oh struggled and it harpooned the bullpen.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is now crystal clear to me that the Cards front office approach to overtaking the Cubs is to try to match their powerful young position core with our powerful young pitching core and see who wins out. The main disadvantage we have is that our young pitching core is probably a year or two away from reaching its peak performance. We are going to have some growing pains. The other potential problem is that young dynamic pitchers are more prone to break down than position players. Ask the Mets.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who care about numbers, Hicks will wear #49.

Participant

Are the Cardinals still having trouble selling tickets? Will #49 help?

St. Louis fans are knowledgeable about MLB and can see what the expectations for ’18 are.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mbusappmbusapp
    Participant

Free

I wish he had made his first appearance in the 5th.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The transition continues… two of the top 10…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I can see by adding Holland they rethink their Reyes strategy and place him on the 60 day DL with a longer rehab and using that rehab to stretch him out as a starter.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years