Jordan Hicks

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jordan Hicks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So Hicks was sent to S.T.E.P. Camp today. Here’s audio of Matheny talking about Hicks.

Meanwhile Jordan Schafer is still in big league camp.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just to play devils’ advocate, why does it matter in what order guys are sent down? Will anyone remember in a month from now?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Hicks will remember losing out on that major league Spring training per diem money!

Participant

Free

Its about production Brian. What has Schafer done better than Hicks to stay longer in the major camp? Hicks had one pretty good outing and gets sent out. I would imagine facing live hitters in a game environment would be more productive than a instructional camp.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont think it is a big deal but I also would consider it abnormal. This is a guy Mo has indicated has a strong chance to be in the majors this year. That normally merits a longer look.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree, CC. Perhaps they were sending him a message. There is more to being big league ready than just production.

Participant

From today’s PD:

“Just some things to work on,” Matheny said. “I like the kid a lot, excited to help him. … His stuff’s undeniable. He’s got really good stuff, but stuff doesn’t just automatically translate into success.

Sounds like there may be something to read between the lines. OR nothing at all.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

seems an odd time… but as someone else said…what has Schafer done to keep him up right now? Maybe left handed batting practice…

Participant

Dr. Michael Miles from Redbird Rants speculates on the Hicks move to STEP camp.

While Matheny has never been one for too many words, the body language and word choice in the video above seem to indicate to me that there is more to play here than simply sending a young arm to minor league camp to work on something(s). Injury? Impending trade? I guess time will tell.

I’m not too happy to even hear the word trade come up in a Hicks story. Does another team really want him on their roster? It could be they see him as being more of a ’18 MLB piece than the Cards? A team that doesn’t have a Reyes or Flaherty?

An injury scenario would, of course, be worse.

Scratching my head.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No offense to Miles, whoever he is, but I am pretty sure he is not in camp talking to those involved. He is likely pulling trade out of thin air. I could have speculated in my article, too, but I am not going there, other than to note not all 21 year olds are fully mature.

Participant
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No malice intended. Was rushing to board a plane. Just hate to see small things potentially turn into big ones. Some may turn trade thoughts into fake rumors that can affect people and their careers. Hopefully it is an isolated incident that will quickly pass.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t imagine who our front office would be trading for. The Ozuna trade is probably all they can stomach for one year. As was mentioned earlier Hicks was probably sent down to send a message.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well that answers that question.

Look at D. Goold actually bringing useful information instead of just puns, alliterations, and fluff pieces.

Participant

Free

Yup that’s some enlightenment right there.

Participant

I would like to hear what the keymaster’s take on this situation is. Is it something to be concerned about, or a slap on the wrist for tardiness? As this has been revealed I can’t see Hicks’ stock being effected.

Its hard to know if if it is more serious.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t usually talk about this kind of stuff, but I was not completely surprised. Those who have been members a while may recall an interview with Ronnie Williams I posted two seasons ago. He shared that he had taken Hicks under his wing to work with him on his off-field preparation. The Goold account suggests Hicks isn’t there yet and needs to take more personal responsibility. As I said before, he is 21 years of age. Time to step up. No reason to expect he cannot do it if he sets his mind to it.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

sounds right Brian…i remember our golden child Reyes having some issues not too long ago that made us question his character and he seems to have turned it around just fine

Participant

Free

There was a lot of talk about Shelby Miller as well. Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the issue people had with Reyes was his “flair” and “cavalier” attitude in games.

A lot people could view Hicks’ issue as not necessarily a character flaw but more of an attitude issue.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I was going to bring up Shelby Miller as well! Shelby seemingly got his act together eventually so hopefully Mr. Hicks will as well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This opens two questions. Who is not going to be active that we thought would be and who else is coming off the 40-man to make room for Hicks? Looks like something big is up.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Isn’t it amazing how a few impressive outings can get a guy off the trade block or out of the penalty box or wherever folks thought he was?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brebbia headed back to Triple-A Memphis, per DG.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You got through the fricking 10 questions on the P-D website faster than me, Derek. What a PITA!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years