Jon Lester acquired from Washington…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jon Lester acquired from Washington…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Permission to chuckle

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Theoretically, if they can go deeper more than what we have been getting, we should be less vulnerable to middle relief conflagrations. Assuming they can suck up the last few drops in the tank it could improve the outlook for the rest of the season. Alternatively, it could be a fiasco.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

These moves were brilliant. I am serious. We didn’t give up. We gave the clubhouse some personality. We took all the pressure off Miles and Jack to rush.
    Think about 13 pitchers come fall. We seem to have innings covered, and lots of options to put together a pen.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This move is designed to improve the rotation, take pressure off the bullpen and help the team finish above .500. Management wants to keep the winning streak in place. The only way the Cardinals make the playoffs is for both Milwaukee and Cincinnati to experience epic collapses.

bccran
    Participant

13 games left against Milwaukee, 1964. You never know.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yep we go 9-4 vs them and it makes it doable. 8- 5 it’s a stretch. Anything less I don’t see it.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I’m ok with this trade, Thomas wasn’t going to do anything as a Cardinal, Lester is worth taking a flyer on

ZTR
    Participant

Free

They are just getting through 2021. The new rotation may be the worst modern Cardinal rotation I have ever seen on paper.

They have a stretch of games coming up against some real slaw.

For a couple of weeks its going to look better than it actually is.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only way the Cardinals make the playoffs is for both Milwaukee and Cincinnati to experience epic collapses.

Collapses by the Reds and Padres would also work.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Maybe we should change the St L on the uniforms to AARP…or not, or it’s a sign that Flaherty and Mikolas are not as healthy as some would hope…

Two excellent points. This has to be the oldest rotation in MLB history.

Perhaps the push to get Flaherty and Mikolas back from the IL has gone on the back burner. I doubt the FO got Happ and Lester to put them in the bullpen.

VEB’s J.P. Hill makes some interesting points how these two trades make some sense.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s the difference –

1.) Busch is not favorable to HRs
    2.) The Cards have a good defense. Especially in the OF and at the Corner IF positions.
    3.) Happ won’t have to worry about the DH in most games.

Perhaps the new starters performances with be improved by that.

Even more important is to look at the Brewers and Reds lineups and see the number of hitters and key hitters who are left handed batters. Check their splits. Then cross that against splits of Lester and Happ.

Sure makes the trade make more sense. Maybe even use Lester as a LOOGY in 2022.

It also bodes well in the next several years for Libby and Thompson against our chief rivals.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe the fallout will include Zack Thompson going down to Springfield. Although he didn’t get handed his head his last two starts, he has endured some abuse this season.

bccran
    Participant

Lester against left handed batters this season –

.224/.276/.328/.595

Milwaukee’s lineup –

Wong – L
    Adames – R
    Narvaes – L
    Escobar – S
    Tellez – L
    Garcia – R
    Taylor – R
    Bradley – L
    Yelich (10 day inj. list) – L

Yesterday, 3 out of their 1st 5 batters were lefties.

Reds –

India – R
    Winkler – L
    Farmer – R
    Votto – L
    Naquin – L
    Barnhart – L
    Suarez – R
    Akiyama – L

5 out of 8 are lefties.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is off the subject of this thread. But I see where Yelich is on the IL again. The Brewers owe this cat $26M in each of the next 7 years. Ouch.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s how Yelich has done this year against left handed pitching –

.170/.318/.340/.658

The Cards starters will probably include Kim, Lester, and
    Happ.

bccran
    Participant

Let’s see Votto this season against left handed pitching –

.202/.289/.345/.633

Hmm.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Ex Marlins president said Yelich has always had back issues…so that could be interesting to watch considering the $$ they have tied to him

bccran
    Participant

Let’s try Winkler and Naquin against lefties –

Winkler – .176/.286/.264/.549
    Naquin – .190/.277/.262/.539

Maybe Mo know what he was doing getting several veteran lefties. Perhaps he should have gotten left handed pitchers before, since it seems like our top two rivals have some talented left handed batters. Maybe that’s why they got Liberatore and drafted Thompson. Seems to make sense.

bccran
    Participant

Tucker Barnhart OBP against lefties – .243. Against righties – .357. OPS against lefties – .615. Against righties – .751.

The beat goes on with the Reds.

bccran
    Participant

Will check the Brew Crew later today.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To add perspective – Carp vs. lefties this year = BA .100

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This move is designed to improve the rotation, take pressure off the bullpen and help the team finish above .500. Management wants to keep the winning streak in place. The only way the Cardinals make the playoffs is for both Milwaukee and Cincinnati to experience epic collapses.

I agree 1964. These moves were not designed to push for the playoffs. If that happens then that is just gravy. These moves were designed so the veterans can eat some innings, the youngsters can pitch in Memphis, we can finish with at least 82 wins so we can declare we had a winning season, and Mo can say that he did something at the deadline. I am not trying to be overly cynical but that is how I see it and frankly I don’t think they should have made a big splash at this deadline. I didn’t want them to burn prospects on a team that is 8 or 9 games out. The time to build a team is in the offseason not in July. July is for adding reinforcements for a team that is already a strong contender.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wonder what Lester thinks about coming to St. Louis?

bccran
    Participant

Milwaukee left handed hitting against left handed pitching this year –

Wong – .356/.385/.548/.933
    Narvaes – .176/.300/.294/.594
    Yelich – .170/.318/.340/.658
    Tellez – .321/.406/.429/.835
    Bradley – .208/.333/.313/.646

So the majority of the left handed hitters on both the Reds and the Brewers are very weak against left handed pitching.
    Wong and Tellez are the only exceptions.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lester and Happ have me remembering when we signed Broxton.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.