Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux Leaving

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux Leaving

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not clear if this is majors or minors, in dugout or consulting….

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Not to state the obvious, but going to NY to escape the scrutiny of STL seems at least counter-productive.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was a bogus sounding reason from the start.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is no indication the Director of Hitting will be in the MLB dugout. He is said to work closely with the MLB coaches and is in charge of the minors pitching. Few will care about that role. Scrutiny is on the MLB team.

Eric Chavez is the Mets’ big-league hitting coach and their assistant hitting coach is Jeremy Barnes, both under manager Buck Showalter. All are said to be under contract for 2023.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe DeJong will be able to hit now.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Jeff won’t get his feelings hurt as a result of reading criticism coming from the social media circles in NY, and the Cardinals will straighten out DeJong’s swing over the winter and he’ll be the starting SS on opening day. It’ll be a happy ending across the board.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he thinks message board stuff is harsh, wait until he experiences the New York press and fans.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

The NY press and fans will wrap him up in cotton and greet him with a chorus of soft lullabies.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think I was clear enough. Why would a director get heat when there are still two MLB hitting coaches on the front line?

(The answer: He most likely won’t, making this whole “NY press” thing irrelevant.)

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I agree that the entire “NY press” thing’s irrelevant. The reality is that Jeff Albert was instructed to move on by his Cardinal employers. His reported “resignation” which was attributed to criticism eminating from social media circles was obviously a story designed to minimize any PR downturn.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1tough said:

The reality is that Jeff Albert was instructed to move on by his Cardinal employers.

No sir, that is NOT reality. Albert turned down a contract offer to remain with the Cardinals for 2023.

His reasons for leaving may or may not be the same as the team’s version. Albert has not spoken about his departure publicly, to my knowledge.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Sorry, but I don’t believe that, BW. When they tell me water’s not wet, I don’t believe that either…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am sorry, too. I can’t really engage when opinions overrule facts.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, that’s okay too, BW. If that’s your opinion, you’re certainly entitled to it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I can share a direct quote from the PBO. I have known him for years and do not view him as a liar.

There is no reason to state that Albert was offered a contract if he was not. And if he was not, it would likely come out later and make everyone look bad. It just isn’t important enough to lie about.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, I don’t know him at all, BW, but he impresses me as someone who’s too smart to foolishly place himself in a position in which he could be viewed as a liar.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, on that we agree.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Additionally, if the Cardinals did indeed offer Jeff Albert a contract, I’d be curious to know if the terms of that contract were disclosed. What I’m driving at, is if someone offered me a new contract at substantially less monetary value than that of our former contract, it would be a clear indication that my performance wasn’t viewed as acceptable and both my employer and myself would be better served to part ways with one another. Everyone’s happier that way.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The rumor came to pass.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Hmmm. It’s almost as if Mike Maddux didn’t want to change occupations after all. Maybe he (and Jeff Albert) just wanted to get away from Ollie Marmol.

I’ve never had it happen, but I’m sure it would be irritating to answer to a boss who isn’t nearly as competent as yourself.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Ollie is there because he knows that the front office knows best how to coach and manage players at the on field level, and he therefore fully embraces whatever analytics based spew comes down the pipe. I agree that, for experienced and highly competent professionals, traversing that landscape day in and day out would be intolerable.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Mo speak was obvious from the beginning. Maddux wanted to scale back or change gears….or whatever was said. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is what Mo said:

“Mike Maddux will be stepping down. He is not retiring. He was not fired. He wants to do something different. He wants to do something at a different pace.”

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

What you refer to as “Mo speak” is not at all unique or singular to Johnny. That sort of language has been used since language was created. It’s plain and simple double talk, or to use a fancy term, he equivocates. And like you pointed out, it’s incredibly obvious and easy to spot.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“He wants to do something at a different pace.”

I wonder if the Rangers know they operate at a different pace?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years