Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux Leaving

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux Leaving

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Even Fredbird’s nervous…

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just think Albert’s approach is designed for a hitters park. We don’t have a hitters ballpark. Bader and Carp started hitting home runs in Yankee Stadium, a real hitters park.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I’m fine with Albert leaving. It appears the assistant hitting coach is a favorite of the players so he may get it. Maddox I didn’t feel was a problem but it seems it’s more about him slowing down and heading toward retirement.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It may just appeared so but it seemed that the young players and pitchers went to talk to Wainwright, Yadi and Albert more for advice than to Maddux and Albert. Of course a lot goes on behind the scenes and the TV guys can create a false picture if you are looking at the overall scope of things.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Would Big Mac be the man who knows how Jordan Walker needs to approach hitting? It has that potential vibe to be such a story of love, redemption. and a chance to live so many magical moments if it works.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

SoonerinNC…In my view, a pitching coach is basically a buffer between the field manager and his pitcher, which is obviously necessary, but I don’t place a whole lot of significance on a hitting coach at the Big League level. I see no reason why the young guys wouldn’t want to gravitate toward two HOF position players and a pitcher that has won almost 200 games in his career.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

So, did they quit for different reasons or for the same reason?

Social media comments really seems like a smoke screen to me – Generally speaking, the Cardinal fan base is pretty tame.

(1) Will they reappear on Schumacher’s staff?

(2) Is this is any way related to Schildt’s firing?

(3) Is it related to Marmol and his personality?

The mass exodus is too much to be a coincidence, I think there are one or more underlying reasons.

If Arenado opts out coupled with Goldchmidt’s season ending swoon something is rotten in Denmark….

14NyquisT
    Participant

Undoubtedly Mozeliak already has replacement coaches in mind…. maybe even just a signature away. I think that there will be a couple of surprises as usual from the top echelon of the FO. We just need to stay tuned in…. the new hires will be in place before Dec. 25th. Most years Mo likes to have the following season in order by then.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ZTR, I wonder if Mo’s trip to see Arenado is related.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…The timing could suggest there may be. “Okay Nolan, I took care of everything you mentioned. Are we all set?”

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Anyone have any views insofar as, other than field manager, what coaching position is not only the most difficult, but also carries with it the most importance? I know this sounds crazy, but I’ve always maintained the answer to be the 3B coach.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Stubby managed AAA Memphis for a few seasons. Won a title there I think? Not sure.

May be he is new bench coach?

Oquendo still around? McGee is there.

Lot at staff holes to fill but I’m way more interested in the overpriced beef they have playing – the roster tweaks that are surely coming.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Oquendo was the Cardinal 3B coach for at least a decade. Warner is currently the 3B coach. his counterpart over on the right side at 1B is Clapp. I don’t know what Oquendo is up to these days.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Since Pujols has his personal services contract with the Angels, I wonder what it would take to hire/acquire him to be a hitting coach of some type for the Cardinals.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

1TD,
    The Secret Weapon is the Minor League Coordinator of Instruction

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IIRC Oquendo wanted to work at the complex in Jupiter instead of the travel and grind that goes with being on the MLB coaching staff.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

forsch asked:

Since Pujols has his personal services contract with the Angels, I wonder what it would take to hire/acquire him to be a hitting coach of some type for the Cardinals.

Probably $10 MM over 10 years.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Everyone knows that the Great Albert Pujols is a Redbird.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From MLB Trade Rumors.

Mike Maddux is interested in rejoining the Rangers as their pitching coach, reports Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News. The Rangers fired Doug Mathis and re-assigned Brendan Sagara, who had served as co-pitching coaches for 2022, less than twenty-four hours after the end of the 2023 season. Maddux previously served as Rangers pitching coach from 2009 to 2015, and recently left his post as pitching coach of the Cardinals. Grant notes that Maddux lives in the Dallas area, adding that the Rangers could pair a veteran coach, like Maddux, with someone else who is “more in tune with biomechanics and the art of pitch design” to co-lead the Rangers staff.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I though Mo said Maddux was looking to scale back. So who’s fibbing here: Maddux, Mo or Grant? Or maybe Maddux just had a quick change of heart.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, the change of heart occured during the phone conversation with Bruce Bochy.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The idea that Maddux and Albert and maybe some other guys all just individually decided to leave all at the same time is absurd. I don’t know if Mo decided to clean house, or if there was some mass disillusionment with something, or Marmol gained the ability to pick his own coaches, or something else. But there was something. I am not sorry to see either of them gone. It will be fun to see how the worm turns this winter.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

If that’s absurd, what would the idea that Jeff Albert quit primarily because he felt he was placed under pressure due to the criticism he received on various social media circles be? My term would be laughable.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d call it something the PR department’s teenage intern came up with.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Either that or the GM.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years