Jedd Gyorko traded to Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jedd Gyorko traded to Dodgers

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

losing gyorko wasn’t a big deal though we gave up too much to make it happen. we have younger talent that can put up the same or better numbers than gyorko. personally I think we could have should have gotten stroman before the mets got him. as usual the cardinals punt on free agency just to hold onto some guys that history has shown may not pan out and/or be traded later at some point. the astros are operating on the basis of winning the world series. the cardinals front office just wants to hope for miracles, be satisfied with just being a team that sneaks into the playoffs. be the wait til next year guys.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t mind trading Gyorko. Except it wasn’t a trade. It was a gift.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I don’t mind trading Gyorko either, but the return was beyond laughable, shows how incompetent Mo really is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It seems the opinions of this trade are mixed. Here is my summary.

Some thought Gyorko was a DFA candidate or at least no loss for a team that now has other alternatives at his position. In that case, getting a 19-year old prospect and some salary coverage for him is better than the alternative (eating his remaining salary via release).

Others feel Gyorko is a valuable asset and should have fetched more in return despite his high salary and questionable health. Some of those also came in critical of the front office so used this as another example to support their view.

(Not that it was probably a big factor, but a side point is that if Gyorko wasn’t going to play here, moving elsewhere so he can get a chance to play is better for him personally. I wish him well as the Cards move ahead with younger guys instead.)

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I don’t know if Gyorko should have been traded or not. There are lots of questions around Carpenter right now and the depth could have been needed. My biggest problem with the trade is 2018 deadline deal was Minnesota trading 31 yr old 2B Brian Dozier (.227/.307/.405 $9 million) to LAD for 31 yr old 2B Logan Forsythe (.207/.270/.290 $9 million), OF/1B Luke Raley (AA and a late 20’s ranked organization prospect), and LHP Devin Smeltzer.
    LAD got the supposed better player and the salary, sending Forsythe, was a wash. But MIN got 2 guys back with talent and close to ready. Smeltzer was up this year. Raley probably would have been but injured his foot and is out after surgery. He had a strong spring and started off in AAA strong. And after the trade neither played well but Forsythe was even slightly better than Dozier.
    The Cardinals traded Gyorko ($8 million, after subtracting SD portion, +$1 million for buyout) for injured Cingrani ($2.65 million) and a 19 year old rookie ball pitcher. I just hope they see something in Abreu because I think Gyorko is in the same mold as Dozier and Forsythe and it sure seems they didn’t get the same return MIN got.
    LAD took on about $3.7 million with the buy out in Gyorko and the Cardinals took on about $850,000 in Cingrani. $3 million wouldn’t buy the 2 players MIN got last year for the same type player.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hmmm the front office seems quite adapt at acquiring players with injuries (Ozuna comes to mind) and drafting injured players also.

I thought Abreu was going to be a good one right away. Did the Dodgers pull the wool over our eyes?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You made two points.

Who said Abreu would be good right away? Please share a source.

I highly doubt his injury status was unknown to the two teams. Otherwise, the trade could be protested and altered or reversed. Or at least the Dodgers would be punished for breaking the rules by withholding important injury information.

I figured this news would bring out odd reactions. Some person on Twitter called it “Unimaginable Disappointment”. Seems an extreme reaction over a throw-in no one had ever heard of.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Getting two injured players for Gyorko doesn’t sit well. LAD breaking rules, no.

You would think that Abreu was selected among others by the FO in this trade that featured an MLBer who won’t even pitch for the Cards. The FO must of thought at least somewhat highly of Abreu.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gyorko was going to be DFA’d or released purely because the Cardinals like their young prospects and want to keep them busy. Plus Carpenter will be back eventually. I would imagine that any player who gets DFA’d or released hates it. Even for a veteran it must be somewhat traumatic. I think the FO should be commended for finding another team for Gyorko. I thought Gyorko looked bored, or sleepy, on the field lately. I bet this trade wakes him up and he starts hitting like he did when he first came to St. Louis.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So, is Gyorko playing with the Dodgers? I saw him in the dugout on Thursday night when they hosted the Padres. Might he be in action against us next week or is he still going out on a rehab for the Dodgers?

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Jedd can come of the 60 day IL until late next week.

Trading for two injured players is odd indeed. I have no idea if the Cardinals will try to bring Cingrani back next year on a one year deal if he is healthy but hopefully Abreu will be ready to go next spring. Our minor league teams need all of the pitching help they can get.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Cingrani was included so the Dodgers would avoid luxury tax penalties

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The ending of Gyorko’s tenure with the Cardinals was really strange. One minute he is rehabbing, the next he is DFA’d. Why even put him on the 60 day DL at all? All in all, Jedd handled it well thanking the fans for his time here.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gyorko was not DFAed and his official rehab never began. He was put on the 60-day IL so Mejia could be added to the 40-man roster. I explained here.

Cardinals Trade Jedd Gyorko for Apparent Roster and Salary Relief

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.