Jedd Gyorko traded to Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jedd Gyorko traded to Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had little hop of Gyorko helping the rest of the wya, but at least it was SOMETHING that could help

What did we actually gain by this deal at all?

a 40man spot? to add who? who on the farm coudl really have as much of an impact as Gyorko could?

I am not even sure we even saved any money as Cingrani was being paid 2.65mil…i guess we saved a 1mil buyout for 2020 but that seems hardly worth it…especially with whatever international money we had to include

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not usually a MO/FO basher but this deal stands now as Gyorko for a Rookie league pitcher.Cingrani done for year,Cards gave up international bonus money…so how is this anything but a no-win/no gain at all deal?I dont get it......what am I missing here? I understand Gyorko has been injured but he does have somewhat of a semi-productive history..so why couldnt MO/FO gotten something better from LAD?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

id have been fine with a salary dump if it was a true salary dump (not adding money AND international money) AND we went out and did SOMETHING else… ANYTHING else

Gyorko at least could have helped this team…salary clearing doesnt help this team at all

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Friedman calls Mo…

Fr: “Hey Mo, how’s it going? I just wanted to call to ask you about Jedd Gyorko. You interested in a trade?”

Mo: “Hi Andrew. Sure, we had to make some room for Adalberto Mejia.”

Fr: “Who?”

Mo: “Yeah, that’s what I said but Girsch was insistent. He’s taking the fall if we miss the playoffs anyway.”

Fr: “Huh. So…what do you want for Jedd?”

Mo: “Oh, I don’t know. What do you want to give us for him?”

Fr: *Thinks about the crappiest offer he can probably make as a low ball starting point*

“Umm, how about an injured LOOGY who won’t ever pitch for you, a rookie ball guy you know nothing about AND you give us money?”

*He mutes his call to snicker.”

Mo: “Oh man, that sounds perfect. A totally equal trade. You have yourself a deal, sir!”

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Hahaha who wants a drink of Mo’s Kool-Aid?

Participant

Free

Frank keeps bringing the bombs.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fr: waits a moment, knows he can get more…and follows…”…since you’re so avid for the deal…maybe to make it more fair we will need you to also add international money so we can have a leg up on you for signing international free agents too….ok?”
    (thinks…”wow i even said out loud that i am trying to get more and take advantage of their desperation and even said what we were going to do with it to further weaken them after the trade…and they still went for it”)
    Mo: “…sure…whatever it takes”

(I HATE slamming on the FO…but this is an utter disgrace IMO….i hope they are railed on publicly and by the press because this is a new level of disrespect to the fanbase’s intelligence if they think they can spin this any way other than ineptness and total failure)

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

the ONE deal we DID do…was FROM our major league team…Gyorko was on the 40man folks… how can he say he didnt want to trade from the team when that is the ONLY thing he did?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers already clean up on the international market. They’ll put the hard earned money that Cardinals fans spent supporting their team to good use in further relegating St Louis to NL also ran status.

Participant

Free

This deal just plain sucks. The only reason for it I can think of is Gyorko’s injury is much more serious than previously acknowledged and the FO wanted to dump him before it became known. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

Participant

Free

I am not irritated by this trade. I think there are (were) players on this team that were mistakes in the first place. I was ready to DFA several veterans. I haven’t like the trades that we have made when we gave up kids with potential for aging veterans of little or no value. I don’t like one-year rentals.

The best thing we can do is to clean house and get rid of our pack-rat junk in the garage that we were never going to be productive using again. So, Gyroko is gone. That leaves some room in the garage for somebody that might have a future.

I didn’t really want any of the pitching deals. If we could have gotten a couple cheap, which you just can never seem to do, I might have. But, the asking price on the established starters was way too high. I don’t want to give up prospects that might be here ten years as starters for a guy who maybe has one or two years left at most. We have that already in Wainwright. He’s probably better than what we could have gotten.

Quit wasting money paying the Gyrokos. There is no place for them in a winning future. Take what we can get and get rid of them. Maybe Abreu will work out. Gyroko won’t.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Makes sense. So, he was cleaning out the garage.

Participant

Free

The international cap money is only an “on paper” move, correct? There is no money involved, only the right for the Dodgers to use more of their own money to acquire international players?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought injured players couldn’t be traded?

Participant

Free

While I don’t like that the Cardinals didn’t make a move to impact the team, I don’t see this trade as something bad. Gyorko has had wrist surgery which will probably sap his power for the rest of this year. Without his power, Gyorko isn’t all that important. Edman has been as valuable as Gyorko could be, this year. We weren’t going to exercise his option for next year, either.

This trade was a non-event with a long-odds lottery ticket attached.

Participant

Free

According to some reports the Cardinals could have gotten Wheeler from the Mets for Bader but the FO turned it down.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow … it will be interesting to see how much salary the Cards will eat. It seems like the Dodgers got the better of the deal at this point. Hope I am proven wrong.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The international cap money is only an “on paper” move, correct? There is no money involved, only the right for the Dodgers to use more of their own money to acquire international players?

I think you’re right. At least that’s what I’ve always thought. Sometimes you see it worded like this, “Dodgers traded for international bonus pool space.” If real cash is involved in a trade, it is often stated as such.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Does it matter if it is on paper … the Cards are giving up value to trade Gyorko.

Participant

Free

Nice goodbye by Mr Jerko always a classy guy. Best wishes w/Dodgers. Most likely playoff bound. I’d say now we have some guys that are doing well lately. If the pull together and stay focused we could make the playoffs this year. Win our Division! Been around sports enough to know there us always a bigger dog on the block. Go Cardinals!

Participant

Free

Dpic Mr Gyorko, me bad!

Participant

Free

It does matter if it was on paper or actual money. The way it looks, we won’t be spending all our international money anyway. That value that we gave to the Dodgers in that way lessened the amount of actual cash they had to send.

I am not upset with this move. It is a non-factor toward the rest of the season.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Another A ball stud is exactly what this organization lacks. If he is as good as Grag or Ralston, this will be an excellent deal.
    Keeping Jed meant losing Edman from the MLB roster.THAT would have been a stupid trade.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This particular trade is a non-story in my book. Gyroko had little value for us. Edman and Munoz are better.

What irritates me is that we didn’t upgrade the pitching staff. That was a big whiff.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years