Jack Flaherty

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jack Flaherty

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yes on your service time question

So, If he were unwilling to accept a rehab assignment to the extent the organiztion wanted him to, he could be optioned out. Not saying it would or wouldn’t be a smart move, just that it is not impossible.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

One thing I really hope doesn’t happen in MLB like it has in the NBA, is a player being able to “demand” a trade. Durant in Brooklyn is the latest example.

He has 4 years left on his deal, they paid him over $30M while he rehabbed, and now because he thinks he can, he wants traded when I’m sure they planned everything around him being there. He will bring them a massive amount of players and 1st round picks, but will back the organization’s plan up 3-5 years.

And, after he leaves, Kyrie will likely want out too.

I know that’s not baseball related, just pointing out a slippery slope the NBA let happen that MLB should avoid at all costs. This is why I’m on the “Can’t trade draft picks” bandwagon.

bccran
    Participant

Best thing is to follow exactly what the medical people recommend.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I really hope doesn’t happen in MLB like it has in the NBA, is a player being able to “demand” a trade. Durant in Brooklyn is the latest example.

It probably happens in MLB more than we know. Ironically, I would say the Cardinals have benefited over the years by capitalizing on players definitely wanting out of their current organizations. I don’t recall if they publicly demanded it but there was a lot of smoke about discontent.

JD Drew
    Scott Rolen
    Nolan Arenado

bccran
    Participant

Arenado with the Rockies?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, Arenado was very unhappy with the Rockies. It was public. We took advantage of it.

Drew and Rolen were unhappy in Philadelphia and we took advantage of it.

bccran
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Never being a Phillie, Drew doesn’t fit the category of players demanding a trade because he wanted “out of their current organizations.” Similar though. He refused to sign with Philadelphia because they didn’t meet his $$$$$$$$ demands and played independent league ball. Cards drafted him the following year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point Euro. I knew JD had some kind of Philly connection though because I remember fans at Veteran Stadium throwing batteries at him when the Cardinals visited there.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Drew, its funny how things work. If he hadn’t stiffed the Phillies, the Cards wouldn’t have Wainwright.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ha, I remember the battery shower too. That’s smart. Maybe the Phils fans thought Drew was Santa Claus.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.