Jack Flaherty

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jack Flaherty

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

He’s a forking idiot if he said that. It must be easier to get his instamodels into STL than Memphis.

About done with this retard! No way he knew he was ready and the cardinals were stupid enough to believe him after having no spring training.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Jack Flaherty, like any other American, has a perfect right to say whatever he thinks. But when he says it, he owns it, and he must be prepared to deal with whatever consequences ensue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Repeating… The Cardinals had little choice. An MLB player does not have to go on rehab. The CBA allows a player cleared by the medical staff to return directly to the majors. So don’t blame the Cardinals for his early return. It was his call.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Repeating… The Cardinals had little choice. An MLB player does not have to go on rehab. The CBA allows a player cleared by the medical staff to return directly to the majors. So don’t blame the Cardinals for his early return. It was his call.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

If I was a ‘public figure’ I would keep my religious and political opinions to myself to avoid the inevitable Social Media circus that would ensue no matter which side of the equation I was on. (I would also not use Social Media as a platform to air my grievances – grow a pair and pick up the phone and call the person or schedule a face to face meeting.) Why continuously piss off roughly 1/2 of a fan base?

Personally, I think Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc. are horrible in every way and I don’t use any of them.

bccran
    Participant

Brian’s right. Mo said that Flaherty didn’t follow the rehab sequencing the Cardinals recommended and went on the IL again. Mo was frustrated. Flaherty fired back publicaly and basically called Mo a liar. Not a good situation.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think you all are blowing it out of proportion:

“I wouldn’t change anything,” Flaherty said. “I know what you guys (reporters) are looking for. You are obviously looking for somebody to blame. That’s what you guys have to do. Why would we go change anything? Everything felt great. We did everything the right way. Training staff did everything the right way. The organization did everything the right way. It’s unfortunate, what happened. We did everything right. We were honest with each other through the whole process. Everything felt great.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is up to the player whether to do a rehab assignment but it is up to the team to activate a player correct? Could the Cardinals just have refused to place him on the active list? I am not saying they should have but I think they could have.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I’m thinking he probably felt great. Do you guys remember being 18-28 years old. You are King Kong – you are Superman, lol

Unfortunately, Flaherty may have dueling issues where one thing causes you to change your motion ever so slightly which leads to another issue.

It might be best for him to shut it down for the rest of the season and start over with this off season…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From Ben Frederickson’s chat in the P-D yesterday.

Q: So, what is going to happen with Flaherty? Is he going to pitch again this season? Is he going to be with the Cardinals in 2024?

A: Flaherty and Mozeliak didn’t agree on how they looked back at the altering of his initial rehab plan, but they both did agree that Flaherty should be back at some point this season. As for his long-term future after he reaches free agency, I think it’s safe to say there will have to be some sort of a breakthrough in the pitcher’s relationship with the front office for that to be very realistic. Monday felt like that spring training day all over again, when Flaherty and Mozeliak bumped heads over how his injury was described and the SLAP tear information being shared. There’s a pretty trackable history of what happens to players who seem to get sideways with the front office for various reasons — a common one being how injuries are treated and/or rehabbed from — and those can be signs of two sides going their different ways down the line. Monday was just unnecessary, more than anything. It’s clear there is not a lot of solid communication going on between Flaherty and Mozeliak, and it probably took the contrasting quotes to make that communication happen. They should have talked beforehand, not after. And they did talk after. Also, I thought Flaherty should have taken some more ownership of the situation. He did push to return sooner than the initial plan presented. The team signed off on that, but he was the one emphasizing he was ready. He then had two bad starts and left his teammates stranded after two innings of a big game that turned into probably the worst lost of the season. I’m not suggesting he should have pitched through the dead arm, but acknowledging that the plan he pushed for did not work very well might have been good. In his defense, though, there was no way of guaranteeing this same thing would not have happened in a big spot if he stuck with the original rehab plan. Marmol pointed that out in addition to Flaherty. Marmol often comes across like the middle man here, trying to be the neutral voice between the pitcher and the president of baseball operations. Flaherty is in prove-it mode now. He wants to be an ace. He has to be on the mound and pitching well deep into games to earn that title.

bccran
    Participant

Wonder why there’s a disparity between MO’s comments and Flaherty’s comments. Something doesn’t add up.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

His night wasn’t the killer everyone is playing it out to be. He pitched two innings and while he struggled with location he did just give up one run as I recall. Waino gives up an early run every other start or so. The lack of innings was the problem. Rehabbing with the team wasn’t a good idea but I see his logic. Better for him, but not necessarily the team. With the situation the starters are in it made a bit of sense. Just didn’t last. Wittgren could have started and given up 5 runs in two innings and that wouldn’t have been better. Is what it is. Matz was a bad pickup and the bargain bin boys aren’t cutting it. Going cheap apparently wasn’t the answer.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Zero faith in JF. ZERO.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Jack has pretty much reached the Jaime Garcia Inflection Point. In other words, as a fan I now hope for the best but expect nothing. Literally nothing.

On a barely related note, Baseball-Reference shows Matt Liberatore starting against the Phils on Saturday, but didn’t I read he was starting for Memphis tonight?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Personally I don’t mind Flaherty’s social comments. I would keep that stuff to myself if I was a public figure, but people are not all wired the same and he takes what seems like every opportunity to express his opinion. It’s a bit funny though, as he does not always want others to do the same. His comments about those Rays pitchers who did not participate in the team’s pride promotion showed that while he speaks out a lot, if others do so and are not of the same opinion he will be somewhat derogatory towards them.

As for his pitching, I think he will return to form and have a nice career. The momentum seems to be going against him being a long time Cardinal. But that has yet to be played out.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Garrett Williams was called up from Springfield to start for Memphis tonight.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Garrett Williams is going for Memphis tonight per MiLB.com site.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Well said kscardsfan.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

A mentally strong person in the spotlight realizes that remaining professional is always the best course of action to succeed. Im 41 years old. If i were 24 or 25 and pegged to be a future mlb star you would probably have to barricade me in my hotel room from keeping me out of trouble. So instead of dumping on flaherty for being an idiot, its maybe better to recognize just how mentally strong some of the others are in the game. That being said, we should learn our lesson next time someone wants to make political and/or inflamitory statements instead of just doing their job.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Professional athletes, actors, actresses, singers, etc need to stay out of politics and their “opinions” need to not come out. They have zero clue how normal people live.

Let’s go Brandon!

Oliver
    Participant

Free

LOL They don’t have say but Let’s go Brandon is ok. Respect we all have an opinion. Yours is no better than anybody else.

bccran
    Participant

I agree, ChiTown. Let’s go Brandon!

Oliver
    Participant

Free

hahaha politics….Go Jack!

bccran
    Participant

If Jack wants to do some outreaching, he should go by Children’s Hospital and spend time with the kids, sign autographs, etc. like Holliday used to quietly do.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BC, I believe I heard it in a broadcast, when Waino had his Top Golf outing, Goldy went around and said hi to every group that had paid to be there. We all complain about Mo at times, but trading for Goldy and locking him up was a heck of a move. On and off the field.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years