Jack Flaherty

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jack Flaherty

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Did anyone catch the public comments by Mo and the rebuttal public comments by Flaherty after Jack’s latest issue? I don’t think Flaherty is going to be a Cardinal for long. Mo doesn’t put up with rebuttals from a player very well. Reference Pham.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This sparring in the media has been going on for awhile now with them. It wouldn’t be surprising if 2023 is the final year for Flaherty to be in St. Louis.

bccran
    Participant

Or sooner, gscottar.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Jack doesn’t seem to mesh well with the front office. Be good for him and he Cards if they parted ways. I hate to see him go.

bccran
    Participant

Do you try to trade him now, or wait until he’s healthy?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Trying go trade him now would be a major selling low. Selling a player out with TJ surgery would be much easier. The recovery from elbow injuries to 100% has to be nearly 100%. Recovery from shoulder injuries to 100% is significantly lower, probably well less than half.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty is collecting $5M this year for what we’ve been seeing so far. Hopefully, he will contribute something to the team before the end of the season. Thank Goodness he has not been extended with a big multi-year contract to buy out his arbitration years. I think that if this head case of a pitcher challenges the Cardinals to pay him more money than they want to, they might just let him walk.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Why is Flaherty a head case?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I would get him healthy and then trade him.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would use him up. He has no trade value right now. Best case is he comes back and earns his money.
    I would push him to pitch through and earn 5 million dollars.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

oh I get it now….from the comments….this is one of those boards….my mistake I leave you be with your prejudices.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oliver, I wouldn’t consider Jack to be a headcase. I would consider him to be a very outspoken professional athlete, which he has a first amendment right to be.

However, when you decide to air your opinions about politics and management/labor issues publicly then you better be prepared for blowback because it is inevitable. He brings a lot of this on himself instead of just focusing on pitching.

On the other hand people probably thought Curt Flood was a headcase back in the day. Now he is viewed a little differently in the court of public opinion.

Jack’s biggest problem is that he has been hurt and ineffective too much the last couple of years. If he was performing at a high level on the field he would probably have much more leeway with the fanbase.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Musicians, actors, extremely wealthy people, poor people, commoners. They can all speak their minds and it’s ok. How dare a baseball player have an opinion. Just shut up and play. Lol. That is why Jack is hated. How weak. Depends on which side one lands the other let’s em have it. Those days should have been gone by now. The hate continues.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I did not see the back and forth between Mo and Jack, but Flaherty certainly speaks his mind on social issues.

I don’t have an issue with that, but if it does not reflect the club’s views or what they think is the majority of the fanbase thinks, it could certainly factor in their decision to keep him.

It seems that the general consensus among fans is they don’t like players or entertainers to be too socially minded, or at least not outspoken about their thoughts. And that is understandable as entertainment is a form of escaping from the “real” world. When the real world crosses over to the play world, fans get uneasy.

bccran
    Participant

This is a cat of a different breed.
    It has to do with procedures for rehabbing from arm issues. When Jack went down again, Mo said they hadn’t been followed by the player properly. Jack took offense and said that they had. A public argument.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course Mo would say that. Just maybe it was the wrong procedures but No would never admit that.

bccran
    Participant

I wouldn’t question MO’s integrity. Most GMs think his integrity is beyond reproach.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I question everything the Cardinals front office does

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Ooo, that is a tough one. Not smart for the GM to throw the player under the bus like that, even if it is true.

The most you say is something like “Things have not gone as planned for Jack and we are taking a step back to re-evaluate.”

bccran
    Participant

It’s like Mo threw the gauntlet down.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Not smart for the GM to throw the player under the bus like that, even if it is true.

Cardinals are known for keeping a lot of stuff behind closed doors and quiet. To me it says Mo and others are fed up with him doing things his way and probably many in house conversations have been had and he’s disregarded all of them and it’s maybe calling him out publicly to be a Cardinal first, without totally throwing him under a bus and airing all the dirty laundry.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In this case I think the Cardinals were giving him good advice to do more rehab outings. He either refused or was able to convince them he was ready now. Either way he was obviously wrong and now both parties look bad and the team is without a potentially significant rotation piece.

lonewolf
    Blocked

I’m new on here, but I will say that NO pro athlete needs to be so public with opinions on social or political issues. They are paid TONS of $$$ to perform on the field (or court). That doesn’t entitle them to go public with their political/social opinions.

Don’t take that wrong. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have opinions on social or political issues, or any other issue. They are all human beings and citizens of the United States and are therefor entitled to whatever opinion they have.

As for Flaherty, his injury, his rehab, and the very public exchange between him and MO, it should never have happened. Neither of them should have discussed, or even mentioned, any of what they said to the press. That’s internal and should be handled between them privately. Yeah, I like to read as much as I can about the Cards. I just don’t need to be privy to info like that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Lotta crazy stuff now over Jack Flaherty. Saw a sound bite if him when he came back from Memphis “I was feeling like I was wearing out the pitching in Memphis !” Not sure what this means? Don’t really get alot of stuff he says. He would do alot better to be a baseball pitcher again rather than a social activist. Pitchings gonna be what he gets paid for. The rest of the stuff is just fluff.

lonewolf
    Blocked

Couldn’t have said it better, Wooster. My sentiments exactly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years