Hot stove – Winter 2022/23

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Hot stove – Winter 2022/23

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 876 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that any statements made by the Dodgers is for PR purposes, positioning their brand as they think they need to. I doubt their decision to cut him was based upon what they thought he did or didn’t do, or if they thought he was or wasn’t remorseful. I think they decided they would experience bad PR and such, and the cost of that would exceed the cost of cutting him loose.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That could very well be the case bling. Certain organizations care a lot about their brand and image. The Dodgers are like that as are the Cardinals. Too bad he doesn’t play in the NFL. He might be a fit for the Raiders.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

For those of you who have been down to ST, where have you flown into? A buddy just said Orlando, but I think he’s biased since that’s “his airport”. I’d prefer not to rent a car, but not sure that’s a possibility.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t been down there but from looking at google maps it appears that Fort Lauderdale is the closest.

PadsFS
    Participant

CardsFanInChiTown

For those of you who have been down to ST, where have you flown into? A buddy just said Orlando, but I think he’s biased since that’s “his airport”. I’d prefer not to rent a car, but not sure that’s a possibility.

Palm Beach has an airport, but I have no idea how you’d get around while there without renting a car. The stadium is in Jupiter, FL, just north of West Palm Beach. Lauderdale has the cheap flights though so that would be my preference.

If you didn’t want to rent a car, you could fly to Ft Lauderdale and take the train north and then cab/uber to the stadium? You could skip the train if you flew into Palm Beach airport.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I used to always fly into W. Palm Beach but that’s been a few years. I can’t remember what carrier it was but there were cheap flights from STL to PBI.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

A little Cardinal hot stove baseball trade trivia…With no offseason trades by the Cardinals yet this winter, it got me to thinking about what I feel is the best Cardinal offseason during my time as a Redbird fan regarding trades. My choice is the ’81-’82 offseason which produced three significant trades in the consecutive months of Oct. Nov. and December. No question those three consecutive months brought a pretty good haul. What three players were fitted for Cardinal uniforms during those three months? Bonus points if you can place the order in which they became a Cardinal…

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

This tepid stove thread is fast falling into freezing temperature. Not even a decent rumor anyone?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yep, not even a rumor. Black limousines always leave the chancellory in the quiet darkness of the early morning to conduct important state and business negotiations…Haha!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I saw something where Jim Bowden said the Cardinals are working on something with a “name” pitcher, but are keeping it hush hush. For whatever that is worth – probably not much.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I saw that too, Bikemike.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Last actual Cardinal rumor, (not news), on MLB Trade Rumors, Dec 14th about not meetign Carlos Rondon’s asking price. I believe the front office is on college winter break until next week or the week after.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Thanks folks, it looks like renting a car is the only way to do it. From my little bit of research…. Frontier, who is a small step ahead of Spirit seems to be the cheapest at this point also.

PadsFS
    Participant

1toughdominican

What three players were fitted for Cardinal uniforms during those three months?

I would assume it’s McGee, Lonnie Smith, and Ozzie.

1981 had some big pick-ups as well – Lezcano (used for Ozzie) and Sorensen (used for Lonnie), Hendrick from the Padres, Sutter from the Cubs, and Porter as FA

PadsFS
    Participant

bicyclemike

I saw something where Jim Bowden said the Cardinals are working on something with a “name” pitcher, but are keeping it hush hush. For whatever that is worth – probably not much.

Who’s left? Wacha and Chafin are probalby the two best. Greinke and Matt Moore? Maybe Fulmer?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It could be a trade, Pads.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Correa back to the Twins. Deal is 6/200.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To clarify, Bowden did not name a player, his position or a team the Cards are supposedly working with on a trade. Basically he made a blind throw at the dartboard as part of an article that included something that supposedly each of the 30 teams are working on.

As a reminder, Mo said this the day before yesterday.

“…You never rule anything out, right? Something could present itself that makes a whole lot of sense that we haven’t talked about or explored to this point. But in terms of looking at our club, there are names that get bantered about that we are just not going to trade…”

In other words, you shouldn’t get your hopes up.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Nice! That’s right, Pads. You also got the order correct. McGee in Oct. L. Smith in Nov. and O. Smith in Dec. during the ’81-’82 winter offseason. However, Porter was signed as a FA in Dec. of 1980. Sutter also became a Redbird in Dec. of ’80 as a result of a trade that sent both Ken Reitz ans Leon Durham to the Cubbies. One of my favorite Cardinals, Silent George, had been a Cardinal since ’78 as a result of a trade that sent Eric Rasmussen to the Padres. At any rate, I’d say the Redbirds did pretty good during the ’81-’82 offseason with the trade aquisitions of a future HOF’er, a future NL MVP, and a guy who finished 2nd behind Dale Murphy in the ’82 NL MVP award voting in a season in which the Cardinals won their 9th WS Championship.

PadsFS
    Participant

1toughdominican

However, Porter was signed as a FA in Dec. of 1980. Sutter also became a Redbird in Dec. of ’80 as a result of a trade that sent both Ken Reitz ans Leon Durham to the Cubbies. One of my favorite Cardinals, Silent George, had been a Cardinal since ’78 as a result of a trade that sent Eric Rasmussen to the Padres.

That’s the offseason I was referring to with my second point, the 80/81 offseason, that saw Simmons depart. I was off on the Hedrick trade though. I was putting that in the 80s too.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Boston might be interested in Paul DeJong as an interim shortstop.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Pads…Yeah, those winter off-season dates are confusing because they always consist of two different years. In any case, the winter offseason prior to the ’82 regular season can be viewed as paying off nice dividends in the form of their first NLE title and a WS winner the next fall. Those ’80-81 moves helped the Redbirds to the best overall regular season W/L record in the old NLE, however they missed the postseason as a result of Bowie Kuhn’s “split season” brainchid during the strike shortened ’81 season. The Cardinals really got burned in that ’81 season.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

In reference to that strike shortened “split season” of ’81, I’m reminded of one nice memory from that season that some others may have experienced. That strike lasted for 6 weeks and it was almost 2 months before regular season games were resumed. During the week and a half between the end of the strike and the restart of games, teams were afforded an abbreviated sort of spring training in their home ballparks to get them back into physical shape and up to game speed. I don’t know how it was in other ballparks, but here in StL. at Busch Memorial Stadium, these workouts and intra-squad practice games were open to the public at no charge and even a few concession stands were opened up to sell food and refreshments. I spent a handful of days down there watching and it was pretty neat. You could sit front row at the dugout and interact with the players as there were normally only 12 to 15 hundred fans. And due to the close proximity, small attendance, and the relatively quiet surroundings, you could hear precisely what the players were yelling to one another on the field. During one practice game during a Darrell Porter AB, a guy sitting close to us hollered out at the top of his lungs, “C’mon Porter, let’s see you hit one like Simmons could!” It was obvious that Darrell could hear the guy and he actually looked over and smiled…Haha! At any rate, I’ve never attended a ST’ing in Fla. and these workouts and practices were as fun as almost any game I’ve attended. Did anyone else attend or recall these workouts?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Boston might be interested in Paul DeJong as an interim shortstop.

Well, the MLB trade value estimator site has DeJong’s value at -7.1. We would have to throw in a Hudson +6.8 or a Pallante +7.5 just to make it break even for them with a throw in guy one way or the other.

I think we can assume moving PDJ is impossible. I’m guessing Mo found that out last year, or he’d already be gone.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That trade value assumes that no cash changes hands. The Cardinals would obviously have to pay most, if not all, of his remaining salary. Anyone can be moved if enough cash is paid down. See Fowler, Dexter.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 876 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.