Hot stove – Winter 2022/23

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Hot stove – Winter 2022/23

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 876 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Things are starting to heat up with with roster moves and filling out the 40 man roster, the addition of minor league fillers. (I’m glad to see Oscar is back in the organization.) and the rule5 draft options. This calls for throwing a couple of logs on the fire and day dreaming about who is going to be wearing a Cardinal uniform before long and who will be wearing another unie next season.

I usually hate to see guys going…. especially guys that have started out in our system.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I love watching Hot Stove on MB-TV every weekday at 9 am est.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When I was a kid in the 60s my grandpa had an actual hot stove out in the garage behind his house. He and his friends sat out there in the winter smoking cigars and talking about baseball and fishing.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see this happening due to budget constraints but Heyman will throw anything out there.

bccran
    Participant

Is this different than the 2023 thread?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or the Trade Ideas/Acquisitions thread? We seem to have several.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

There was no need to start a new one.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

My dad smoked cigars and my brother and I always watched all the games on the black and white TV out in the garage with him and sometimes my uncle when he came by. He wouldn’t smoke them in the house to keep mom happy and kept a couple of propane tank heaters out there for the football games in the winter. I’m always hard pressed to find an old photo of him without the ever present cigar. He was a White Owl guy who smoked those things like he was mad at them. I never smoked cigars, but always kind of liked the aroma. He finally gave them up about a month before he said goodbye.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

This thread could be used to identify and talk about the other teams’ hot stove transactions. There have already been quite a few moves:

Teoscar Hernandez traded from Jays to Mariners.
    Kyle Lewis traded from Mariners to Diamondbacks.
    Elieser Hernandez traded from Marlins to Mets.
    Kyle Farmer traded from Reds to Twins.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For some years, the thread

Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors

has been pinned to the top of the board, used for discussion of other teams players as well as people’s trade ideas they created.

We also start new threads for those players credibly linked to the Cardinals in trade or free agency.

This year has been different with several general offseason threads opened that cover a wide variety of topics. That is ok at the time, but personally, I have trouble later on re-finding a discussion about a specific player or subject.

Having said that, the forum is for all of you and if folks like more catch-all threads, they/you will comment there and if not, the threads will die from lack of interest.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I always forget about the pinned threads for some reason. For a long time the old Cardinal Nation Blog only had one discussion thread for everything. All posts chronological with no nesting of replies, as I remember it. It could be like trying to carry on a conversation with somebody across a crowded room, but was lots of fun. I still have some of those articles on a thumb drive somewhere.

14NyquisT
    Participant

blingboy

When I was a kid in the 60s my grandpa had an actual hot stove out in the garage behind his house. He and his friends sat out there in the winter smoking cigars and talking about baseball and fishing.

1toughdominican

My dad smoked cigars and my brother and I always watched all the games on the black and white TV out in the garage with him and sometimes my uncle when he came by. He wouldn’t smoke them in the house to keep mom happy and kept a couple of propane tank heaters out there for the football games in the winter. I’m always hard pressed to find an old photo of him without the ever present cigar. He was a White Owl guy who smoked those things like he was mad at them. I never smoked cigars, but always kind of liked the aroma.

I have a picture in my mind of what the hot stove scenario would look like and would loved to have been an attendee. Give me a cigar I’d smoke it. Try to get a White Owl today the closest you’ll get is Phillies. In my younger days I spent time with my uncle smoking Optimums because that’s what he smoked. Almost all the cigars of that ilk are long gone. Do you remember any others like Dutch Masters etc?

14NyquisT
    Participant

This thread should be for light discussion without a ton of stats but still open to anything.

14NyquisT
    Participant

One thing I don’t want to see is Mo trading several top prospects over the winter unless its for Contreras.

cardsfan4 proposed these trades on VEB obviously before the departure of Reyes.

Burleson, Baez and Love for Jansen
    O’Neill for Jansen and Cimber
    Carlson, Liberatore, and Reyes for Moreno
    Nootbaar and Mejia for Kirk
    Winn and Burleson for Kirk
    Walker for Moreno

BTW… Reyes is still a young man but could write a book pertaining to his experiences while in the STL organization. Good luck Alex.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I don’t want to see is Mo trading several top prospects over the winter unless its for Contreras.

Contreras is a free agent so no prospects are required to get him except for the loss of a draft pick since he received the QO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Right you are gsc. Since it will only take money to get him…. we don’t have a problem except for 29 other teams, most would love to have him catching for them. With that in mind, I guess we’ll be outbid after all.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not to mention that if it is actually true we only have around $20M to spend he would take up all of that and would leave no room for any other upgrades.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Discussion on the prospect ranking thread somehow made me remember Malcolm Nunez, who was part of the trade for Quintana and Stratton. He was a pretty unknown hitter from Cuba, but not perceived to be in the upper echelon of Cuban players coming over. Here is a quote from Brian when Nunez made his debut in the top 50 list in 2018 at 38 a few weeks after arriving in the DSL.

“Last but far from least is Malcom Nunez, who debuts at 38. Signed less than six weeks ago, the 17-year old third baseman is demolishing the Dominican Summer League. I have no way of knowing how to translate that into the US, but I am looking forward to his 2019.”

The kid had more extra base hits than strikeouts that season in DSL. By the beginning of 2019 he was pressing for a slot in the top 10 of the list. But he came back to earth, settling in as a solid but unspectacular performer, dropping off from level to level. He made AAA with Pittsburgh this year and hit .231.

It was fun seeing what would happen with him in 2019 and beyond, and we have some kids now that we think highly of and we will see what happens with them.

1982 willie
    Participant

Degrom goes to rangers. 5 years 185 million. Good for him. Hopefully he does well for the rangers. People will say they gave him too many years, too much money because of his age and prior injuries but I think it’s great. Rangers are giving their fans something to be happy about and degrom is getting rewarded for his greatness. That’s how this is supposed to work.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

deGrom’s Cy Young years were his age 29 and 30 seasons. Right in prime time. After that, for the last 3 years he has made regular trips to the IL for a variety of ailments, often arm related, making 15 starts in 2021 and 11 this year. I believe he has been as good as ever when able to answer the bell. So far.

The contract is for his ages 34-38 seasons, so he is past his prime and heading downhill. No one know how steep that downhill will be. Maybe not enough to matter. But my guess is the Rangers will have trouble getting their money’s worth, and it could potentially be pretty catastrophic. I’m sure Rangers fans are happy to roll the dice with someone else’s money.

1982 willie
    Participant

Sometimes you have to pay. Baseball contracts should always be a reward for prior years not the years in the contract since the teams don’t have to pay them early. Like pujols, he earned the money he made with angels before he got to them. The Cardinals got him at a bargain and he gave them a good deal with the contract he did sign with them. Owners don’t want to pay money to players that have earned it, then find another thing to make you happy other than sports teams or anything that has workers as well.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Flaherty, Libratore, Helsey and O’neil for Lindor

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Lindor should not be a priority for us.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like an unrealistic trade to me, Nate. But I like your imagination.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Why would we want Lindor?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 876 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.