Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I hope we are also working on other issues as well. Just in case Stanton falls through having a JD Martinez in RF would also be good. Never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Probably repeating the same false rumor from the same people.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No way would I include Reyes in ANY deal. He needs to be our ace for the next 10 years.

One name Goold threw out yesterday as a Plan B is Cargo. I think we could get him relatively cheap and still have money left over to make more significant moves. I think he could be similar to the Beltran acquisition a few years ago which worked out well for us.

philcron77
    Participant

Free

Go after Donaldson.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

This Colorado site is proposing a trade that would bring us Blackmon.

https://cardinalsbestnews.blogspot.com.br/2017/11/trade-charlie-blackmon-to-cardinals.html?m=1

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A Blackmon discussion would seem a better fit in the Rumors thread. Also, I could not get that link to work. Does not seem to go to a Colorado site.

Good point about rumor mill churn. A bunch of people in one hotel talking with each other. Lotsa echo in there.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“a baseball source”

that means nothing calling it a rumor is probably too much credit

So if the team trainer waxed that he didn’t think stanton would accept Boston or StL we are supposed to take that as fact or even rumor?

it’s big bit of nothing

and if Stanton is so adamant specific places he wont go, why then doesnt he just out and say it publicly?

What does he have to lose? All he ends up is gaining some clarity and control to his situation

If it isnt stated publicly by the guy, then there must always be a way for it to work which is where i think it is right now

what does he “prefer” that is totally different than what he will be willing to accept when presented with options that he doesnt like even more…which might be staying and having no team around him

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, the Boston Herald is not some unknown blog and its Red Sox beat writer isn’t going to be in his job long if he doesn’t do a credible job reporting. Of course, we don’t know who his source is and how valid the rumor is, but it should not be written off any more than if Derrick Goold had reported it.

While the news is not definitive, it suggests a potentially significant challenge for the Cards and Sox.

Regarding what Stanton says or not says publicly, I respect him more for keeping his mouth shut with the media. It is his career and his business. Just my opinion…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

And I would give little credence if Gould reported “a baseball source was told”. Not only is the ” baseball source” to broad to mean anything, the writer doesn’t even try to give credibility to the party that told the baseball source this tidbit. Maybe his mother? I would not only not give credence to Gould reporting this in this manner but I would think lesser of him as a reporter if he did.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All beat writers reference sources as a part of doing their job, including Goold. If they named their sources, they would not be sources for long.

In fact, Goold tweeted essentially the same thing later this morning and referenced it in an article, too. Doesn’t mean it is gospel, only that people are talking about it.

“There’s a perception at GM meetings that Stanton would not accept deals to #RedSox or #Cardinals…”

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/930466797790355456

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

why should he keep his mouth shut? liek you said it is his career, keeping one’s mouth shut or not is not inherently better or not depending on which way they go

a player that wants to speak out to the public about what is going on deserves the same amount of respect as one that doesnt

as you said…it is HIS career… yet he is being constantly talked about and for..and HIS path is being talked about as if he has no say… i think keeping his mouth shut is pretty irresponsible if he truly wants to get leverage on the situation and go where he wants

Also the way he said basically… “my baseball source says..” that he wont come to Boston or St Louis wasnt speculation…it was saying it as fact…as if we are supposed to believe some unknown source

his whoel article was basically about how his source told him it was a no go on Stanton because that is what Stanton wants and here are other options…i dont like that some reporter or writer or anyone spouting off on things that we are supposed to believe are facts when there is nothign to substantiate…

if he said.. “a baseball source” said he doesn’t think Stanton goes annywhere so maybe we shouldnt get our hopes up and therefore here are all the options outside him then that is totally different

i dont like when Goold does it either…or anyone…and if i am ever found doing it id want someone to to tell me to stop it too…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

plus now we have this…
    https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/source-giancarlo-stanton-hasnt-ruled-out-boston-red-sox-keeping-completely-open-mind

which says he is open to anyone

so whose credible “baseball source” or whatever are we supposed to believe?

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Who knows perhaps some of these rumors are just to mask who really has the inside track, whoever that is, just to keep people guessing until he makes his decision, a fear is that if we don’t get him that Mo just then overdoes it with whoever we do get and overpays him, for all that we know Stanton could be open to coming to St. Louis…provided that we make more trades after him or something of that nature…that he wouldn’t want to be the only new face on the team…

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

According to Scott Lauber, who covers the Red Sox for ESPN, Giancarlo Stanton has not expressed an unwillingness to accept a potential trade to Boston or St. Louis.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If Stanton is smart he will take the next flight to St. Louis and not Boston. For Boston to acquire Stanton they would have to trade away a main piece or two. Its adding two but subtracting one, it doesn’t do them a lot of good. St. Louis, on the other hand, has the pitching and outfield prospects/numbers so it doesn’t really hurt them all that much. It would be like adding two and not subtracting anything.

r/Rat

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am still struggling to understand how a Stanton trade is affordable to anyone but the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankess. I cannot see the Marlins eating any of his salary if their “rumored” budget goal is accurate. Given this, do you really think that ownership and the front office are willing to dedicate such a high percentage of the club payroll to one player over such a long period of time? Or, is management in the hunt to either: a) drive up the price for the eventual winner or b) hope all othe negotiations fall apart and they can work a more reasonable deal.

The businessman in me believes the club is making noise as if they are in heavy pursuit of Stanton. However, the real story is that they are actively pursuing other options. Options that are more affordable and provide the club more flexibility over the long term…while retaining a critical mass of valued prospects.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

News from Heyman:

Dodgers are one of 8 teams said to be in the mix for giancarlo stanton. He’s from LA and most wants to win, so you know he’d approve.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/930788626258124800

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

And LA has the prospects to get it done if they want to that is for sure..

PadsFS
    Participant

They would also have to pay TWICE his salary in taxes and may lose draft picks. I don’t know that they would be interested at $50M per year….

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Reading the article on a potential deal for Charlie Blackmon, it sounds like all the Cardinals really need to do is play Harrison Bader. He might just be the “impact bat” the club needs, as there is a guy throwing out comparisons to Jim Edmonds.

I think Bader would be great in Colorado. There is that big centerfield, where his speed would be at a premium. Plus it’s a great place to hit.

One thing people forget though when talking about Rockies’ hitters, is that they play a lot of NL west games. So you are playing quite few games in three tough hitters parks in San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco, not to mention the D-Backs had one of the best pitching staffs in the league in ’17.

The thing that Charlie brings, other than some impressive numbers, is a great attitude. He pretty much ignites the Rockies not only with his on-field play, but his personality and energy. He’s one of those guys whose value is greater than the pure numbers.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LAD could be an issue as they have pretty prospects who get more love than ours in general but as Pads says…the hit on them because of the taxes would be crazy…

now if the LAD start moving salary of other players then i think it could happen…

still you never know with a team that just missed a World Series victory…and they have plenty of money and they waste a bunch in dead contracts all the time…

i still think we are the best fit… but that doesnt mean much at the end of the day

I haev to say though i a less and less interested in Ozuna and especially Donaldson…1 or 2years of control is really not worth the prospect hit

it’s one of the things i like about the Stanton deal..yeah he may cost some good picks…but at least we’d have 3 years to replenish them and maybe even more…

the money isnt bad with what Stanton can do on the field and for marketing…not to mention the rising salaries in general… if JD is going to get 30mil i think Stanton is a steal at 25 on average

take on the whole salary…give them Flaherty and Grichuk… we’d still have plenty of money to sign some bullpen pieces AND have the prospects to make a BIG trade to help bolster the team

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

My sense is Stanton will end up in San Francisco, and possibly Los Angeles or Boston. I do not have any inside information or real analytical reasoning for thinking that, other than history seems to indicate that big name free agents tend go to those places rather than St. Louis.

And I think one of those organizations are probably Stanton’s top choices, and they will work harder to get a deal done with one of those clubs than with us.

philcron77
    Participant

Free

How does Stanton end up in SF? They litterally have nothing as far as impact minor league players go. They may have the worst minor league system right now. They will have to move serious payroll in order to take on his contract the likes of Belt Pence Cueto ect. I think they already have the most money committed for the next couple of years going forward. Dont see how they can make the prospect package work and the financial side of things.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The latest from Jon Morosi on the Cardinals and Marlins with Stanton:

“Source: #STLCards and #Marlins officials discussed Giancarlo Stanton trade concepts today at the @MLB General Managers Meetings in Orlando. @MLBNetwork”

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

well at least it isnt rumors anymore… still it seems like it is so vague though… but i guess it has to be

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.